My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Yes, I've seen double legs in judo comps too, I was referring more to his claims of spine and leglocks. That is most certainly not the standard in any judo I've seen, in fact I was told by the BB of the judo club I trained in that "leglocks don't work."

Perhaps it is different in the US?
    There is leglocks in the Kodokan ciricuilum (which really is the standard but not pple and orgs deviate form it) so I don't know how he got that. But its like the Atemi in Judo. Very few places do it now. Still there is a differnece form being HIDDEN in a kata and not an area of emphasis. Mongo is not claiming anything that was hidden or secret he was saying some things are emphasized over others, which is true in many arts. Look at BJJ who else trains the "Gracie Gift" gaurd pass other than Rorion's line? Not many I know of.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg locks, spine locks and single/double legs are all waza that are in the syllabus. There is a growing interest in leg locks here in Japan because more and more Judoka wanna go to BJJ tourneys to test themselves. .

Hell, just tonight I used a single leg in randori, its no secret.

And, guys have been tapped with neck cranks in randori, they're generally not used because they are actually very hard to do on a Judoka who's has no neck.
    Last edited by MONGO; 1/31/2006 9:45am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mongo can I ask a favor.

Can you find any more material on Koji Komuro. I will be ordering his DVD KOMLOCK but I wanted to know if there was anything else out on him.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:50am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Komlock is the ****. I watch it a bunch. I'll ask at the dojo and see whats up. That video has got some good stuff on it, worth every penny.

The techniques in that video make newaza great, I use the stuff on the video all the time during during training.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Yes, I've seen double legs in judo comps too, I was referring more to his claims of spine and leglocks.
    The only "formal" leg-lock (ashi-garami) is in katame-no-kata, but a lot of older references (including Mifune's Canon) include leg submissions like the straight ankle lock (ashi-hishigi, I believe, is the name).

There's a video on Mifune showing a couple others, IIRC.

Spinelocks are a little different - if you ask most judoka directly, I suspect they'd say there are no spinelocks.

But let them show a few hold-downs, and you might experience a spine-lock.

I've seen people tap in competition to hold-downs that were effectively spine locks - tate-shiho-gatame with a cow-catcher, for example. Kata-gatame can be used to make a nice neck-lock as well.

It's kinda like ude-garami. Technically, you're not supposed to attack the shoulder, but since ude-garami is a legal technique that engages the elbow, some refs will let you get away with the shoulder submission.

Remember, it's illegal only if the referee sees it. Some guys use that.

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:52am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When it comes to pure competition Judo. Judp works on a one point system(the ippon).

A throw from standing position which is considered perfect or near perfect and landing on the back is an ippon.

A control or pin for 25 seconds is also an ippon.

this is where I think Judo get tricky is in the half and quarter points awarded for such things and non perfect throws and submission attempts. because these are predicated on the referees opinion. no points are awarded for passing guard or gaining posistion like which is greatly stressed in bjj. the worst thing Of which I dont like about judo comps is a sumbmission attempt that isnt prgressed in 5-10 seconds is restarded on the feet, again this is predicated on the ref's opinion on progression of the submission(this is why you see bj penn get many submission in but is constanly restarted to the feet because once he works them in the opponent can hold out just long enuff to get the ref to restart).

fact is that in judo wants you to throw for the win, not to say that you cant win with a sub its just it seems to me that judo as a hole frowns on it.

judo and bjj are the same whats different are the sports and because of the sport difference they have stressed different things most judo guys from a standing position could throw you 6 ways to sunday but once on the ground most seem lost like a 3rd day bjj white belt.

alot of bjj guys couldnt throw you from a standing position if there life depended on it but once it hits the ground its over.

my first day of judo I rolled(newaza) with the club black belt and was almost able to catch him in some subs passed his gurad twice and took his back with hooks which he difended pretty good, but I.m only a weak 1 year bjj student and in a judo comp none of this would have ment but maybe a 1/4 point. I would have graded him about a blue belt on the ground, but his stand up throws were sick, and I mean sick alot unlike watching my gracie barra instructor roll with the class and work a medley of techniques one after the other.

my point is choose your poison neither of them suck and nether is better than the other overall is more about what you what to be good at.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567