Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:01pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    In most US clubs, does jumping guard and getting dumped on your back for it qualify as Ippon?
    The rules say that you have to clearly initiate the throw, so a guard jump shouldn't be called as a score, and it mostly isn't IMHO. Unless you make it look like a double leg or kouchi or something.
    However, if you just jump guard and don't make it look like a sweep or a sacrifice throw, you may get penalized since it is against the rules to engage in newaza without attempting a throw/takedown. Flying juji gatame being an exemption for some reason (?).

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanand
    Wrestling takedowns can be very effective in judo matches. video evidence of this can be found on this site and others, as i have mentioned. Even if they dont result in an ippon, it leads to submission options on the ground, where the person executing the TD is usually in a better position than his opponent.

The fact that it EVER works should be reason enough to train in defending against it. Agreed?
    Don't hypothesize, take your elite takedowns and go try them at the next Judo tournament. USJF 1 year membership is $50.00, a local tournament is $35.00. You can pwn the US judo for $85.00.
    Go do it and report back.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:10pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Flying juji gatame being an exemption for some reason (?).

Yeah, that's a wierd one. You can't have it locked in prior to hitting the ground, but once you do, it must be an instantaneous submission otherwise it's not ok. I have a friend who used to do them, after he broke an uke's arm, another's nose and knocked a 3rd unconscious(none of them me), he stopped using the technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't hypothesize, take your elite takedowns and go try them at the next Judo tournament. USJF 1 year membership is $50.00, a local tournament is $35.00. You can pwn the US judo for $85.00.

Tomas
    He just needs to roadtrip to Rochester to decrease the risk of getting injured (possibly). It's about 70 miles - not 700. 70. That's a little over an hour by car. He gets to the right dojo, they'll be nice and answer his questions and show him things he hasn't taken into account. If he gets the wrong place or walks in with an attitude, chances are he'll come out walking funny or (more likely) they'll ignore him.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    Yeah, that's a wierd one. You can't have it locked in prior to hitting the ground, but once you do, it must be an instantaneous submission otherwise it's not ok. I have a friend who used to do them, after he broke an uke's arm, another's nose and knocked a 3rd unconscious(none of them me), he stopped using the technique.
    I think you can have it locked, you just can't use the leverage on the joint to drive your throw.

BTW, I knocked MYSELF out doing it:).
    I launched, hit the mat with the back of my head and woke up in a pin.
    :)

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:29pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tomas
    Conclusion: it is pointless to try and converse with drummerboy.

I hypothesized nothing. i gave 2 examples that completely proved my point. The takedowns were used, and the victims had no idea what to do. if they knew how to defend it, this thread wouldnt exist.

i can't believe that an apparently rational human being wouldnt agree with the idea that... id type it again but all you have to do is read EVERY OTHER POST IVE MADE.

He just needs to roadtrip to Rochester to decrease the risk of getting injured (possibly). It's about 70 miles - not 700. 70. That's a little over an hour by car. He gets to the right dojo, they'll be nice and answer his questions and show him things he hasn't taken into account. If he gets the wrong place or walks in with an attitude, chances are he'll come out walking funny or (more likely) they'll ignore him.

the school i talked about is about 88 miles from my house, and it takes about an hour and 33 minutes to get there. and i would LOVE TO train in judo. yet another point you've missed though i've said it several times.

if no one wants to actually respond to what i'm saying, then dont read this thread and dont reply to it. if you dont give a **** what im saying, then show it by not replying, dont ignore my point and then post some irrelevant piece of information.

you both have made it sound like im being an elitist with this, but i'm not. at no point has anyone addressed my main point with anything but sarcasm.

If something is legal and can be effective in your sport, you should learn how to do it.

plain and fuckin simple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:33pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you can have it locked, you just can't use the leverage on the joint to drive your throw.

BTW, I knocked MYSELF out doing it:).
    I launched, hit the mat with the back of my head and woke up in a pin.
    :)

Tomas
    I think it's still dubious to throw with a lock on -- I used to love this one arm grip waki-gatame uchimata which was apparently quite famous at some point, and while the oldest sensei who taught me that said, "Well, what could possibly be illegal about that?" Others told me that, well, basically all the other guy has to do is say "OW! MY ARM!" really loudly as soon as you start, and you'll get disqualified.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In tournaments, usually the answer is yes though it can depend on the quality of refereeing. During club randori - who cares - though you'll get the reputation as someone with lousy stand up who doesn't understand judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    I think it's still dubious to throw with a lock on -- I used to love this one arm grip waki-gatame uchimata which was apparently quite famous at some point, and while the oldest sensei who taught me that said, "Well, what could possibly be illegal about that?" Others told me that, well, basically all the other guy has to do is say "OW! MY ARM!" really loudly as soon as you start, and you'll get disqualified.
    That's a fun throw - If I'm think the same thing, you can also change it into a simple faceplant followed by an armlock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    gee whiz, got me there. Let me rephrase. You'll get a reputation of not understanding judo in it's current form (whether it's the best form these days is a different topic all together)

My bad.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast