Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    define good chance... you really don't see that many injuries in matches... most of their injuries come in practice... you're just hyping the sport... you can say the same about football, rughby... hell even soccer...
    Of the last three grappling tourneys I went to, I can think of 8 people that suffered injuries requiring surgery hospital visits. In MMA, people are often carted off to the hospital after matches. If the thought of seriously and permanently injuring yourself in a fairly high-risk environment does not stress you, then I guess you are a better man than I.

as to ref stoppage... i see it the other way... but i'm old school and matches were more hardcore BEFORE the over abundance of rules and the regulatory bodies became involved
    Right, old school. You need to see someone get injured before they lose the fight. I guess we just are going to agree to disagree here. What's the sense in making someone take unnecessary punishment when it is clear to the referee and anyone with experience that they have lost? I will qualify this statement somewhat, as I have seen 2-3 matches stopped that I thought were stopped a bit prematurely, but 2-3 out of the hundreds I've seen isn't too bad.
    as gumby isn't dead which i am glad of he was lucky, his attackers were ineffective, and his training helped... if six people are trying to kill you the you will probably die...
    I agree. But exactly what prepares you for having 6 people pound your head in? I can't think of a single martial art that has successfully and consistenly demonstrated a skillset that allows you to avoid such things, except for maybe Run-fu, talk-jitsu, and Track and Field-do. Oh, and Gun-Fu. But I was under the impression that we were talking unarmed combat here.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/29/2006 3:59pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:01pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You're living under a blanket of fear.

I actually keep meaning to make a thread related this. I believe today might be the day.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    I live in reality. I funtion in it. I accept death as a potential part of my job.
    Accepting it and being aware is one thing. Letting it make you paranoid is another and substantially less healthy.

"The samuari before all things must keep in the forefront of his mind the fact that he must die"

This is not a blanket of fear. It is how the warring class have allways dealt with the enevitability of what could happen. This is why I train and what I train for.
    What reality are you living in where you are a member of a "warrior class"?

Why do you train?
    I train primarily to compete in sportive fighting events with self-defence as an equal but ultimately secondary concern. Even with my home city experiencing a huge wave of gun crime I'm still going to have a lot more BJJ tournament matches than I will shootouts.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:10pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Accepting it and being aware is one thing. Letting it make you paranoid is another and substantially less healthy.

What reality are you living in where you are a member of a "warrior class"?

I train primarily to compete in sportive fighting events with self-defence as an equal but ultimately secondary concern. Even with my home city experiencing a huge wave of gun crime I'm still going to have a lot more BJJ tournament matches than I will shootouts.

Well I am not parinoid.

The word samurai means "to serve" I wear armor, and carry a weapon to kill much like a sword. I would sacrifce myself and have risked my life protecting others. I have to fight as part of my job. I have a "shield" on my shirt. and i have been bound by an "oath" much like the warriors of the past. No i do not think I am a samurai, nor do i sit and have tea cerimonies. Soldiers, LEOs, Cos, are this cetnturies warring class.

I am sorry that you don't like these facts. But go get a gun, wave it around at the mall...don't do what the po po says and you too can meet this countries warring class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:11pm

Style: Lazy Spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bravo! Yet again I have been suckered into walking a mile of **** only to find there is no horse. I should have just read my own signature and moved on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:15pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia i did not say Kill or be Killed... but i meant the be killed part not the kill part... you are correct with respect to SD
    cage fighting is harder for reasons already posted... Bouncing does not necessarily mean real fights, although it can... you don't have to take my word for anything...
    you saw people injured in tourney's, but the ref stops the fights before injuries... which way is it... make up your mind... surgery? are we talking stitches or pins and screws and joint replacements?
    keeping your wits about you... continuing to fight and try to defend yourself... not just laying there and hoping they go away... lots of MA teach these things...

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brutal, hard to do, taxing, painfull, dangerous, violent, and in need of hard tough fighters that know what they are doing, but not "real." as in some one trying to kill you if they can.
    -Nobody with any sense has ever argued against this point. This is all too often the TMA or RBSD dork's favorite strawman that they use for an excuse to not train in a "real" training methodology. The "Alive" or "sport" training methodology is what is critical to developing "real" or actualy fucking usuable skills. You just have to adjust your training slightly to reflect your enviroment. Whether that enviroment is the cage or "The Str33t".

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:33pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -Nobody with any sense has ever argued against this point. This is all too often the TMA or RBSD dork's favorite strawman that they use for an excuse to not train in a "real" training methodology. The "Alive" or "sport" training methodology is what is critical to developing "real" or actualy fucking usuable skills. You just have to adjust your training slightly to reflect your enviroment. Whether that enviroment is the cage or "The Str33t".

And i was not using this in the above fashion. I like contact fighting. Like hitting and getting hit. that was not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is that competetors and "fighters" with a couple of years of fighting are not really the best at giving advice for the real world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 4:44pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't get me started on that alive ****... as mostly it seems to mean what we do works and your way sucks... i have as yet to hear anyone on this site give a decent explaination of the concept... don't reference the articles by what's his name... read em liked em train that way...

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    don't get me started on that alive ****... as mostly it seems to mean what we do works and your way sucks... i have as yet to hear anyone on this site give a decent explaination of the concept... don't reference the articles by what's his name... read em liked em train that way...
    I you haven't heard a decent explination then you haven't bee paying attention.

And yeah it does boil down to "what we do works" because its test as real as you can get it while still maintaining a level of safety (just like its down in the military does for manuevers and tactics).

Think of it this way. You want to develop a One, Two combination. Now you can start by working on focus mits and the heavy bag but to truely know how to apply it on a resisting person you put on pads (or realive safety equipment if necessary) and you try using it on someone who is not only resisitng but trying to do it back. Then you repeat this with different individuals. That why you actually learn how to apply the technique (which involves setup and execution) to the point you know it "works."
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast