Page 6 of 14 First ... 2345678910 ... Last
  1. #51
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    get real there is almost zero chance you will die in a match!!! even if the ref doesn't stop it quickly... the last ufc i watched i was disappointed because the ref stopped the fights too soon... if 6 guys were kicking you in the head with bad intentions you would be dead... as you are not dead, then something about your example is incorrect... if they had bad intentions ie wanted you dead then you would be...
    Look man, I like to think that everyone on here posts with the best of intentions, but . . . seriously.

    1.) There might not be a lot of chance you can die, but there sure as hell is a good chance to get injured and hurt badly. You think it doesn't cross my mind every time I compete in a tourney that if someone decides to be an asshole, he can crush my trachea, break my limbs, and permanently **** up my joints? This might not be the same stress as dying, but it sure as hell is stress. Or if you want to relate it to the UFC or Pride, how about this: Every single fight these guys take could be their last. All it takes is one careless mistake and their livelihoods are kaput. That seems like stress to me.

    2.) Refs rarely stop fights too quickly. Your lack of understanding of how things work is not the ref's fault. If a fighter's eyes roll back into his head from blows or if he is not defending himself intelligently, or if he lets his arm snap (aka Tim Sylvia), he is probably not going to win the fight. I'm sorry that you do not seem to understand thse thing, or that they do not happen in super hi-definition. Try going to some local amateur MMA events. These things are easier to see in person sometimes.

    3.) Gumby isn't dead, and he has provided us with photographic evidence of 6 people trying to kick his head in ON TEH STREET! AND HIS FIGHT WENT TO THE GROUND! STRAWMAN EXPLODES VIOLENTLY!
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  2. #52
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    This may come to a bit of a shock but out of all the fights I've either witnessed or been in at clubs, bars, parks, fests, etc. NO ONE DIED!!! Hardly anyone need medical attention. *GASP* Can you die in a fight, Yes? You can also die in a boxing match (which pple have) or MMA match (only one death so far). Get over it and realize not ever fight is Life and death.


    http://www.odmp.org/year.php?year=2005

    In my areana people do die when they lose a fight. many of the Gunnfire deaths are with the officers own gun after losing a fight. many more are with the offenders gun durring the fight. I am not over it.

  3. #53
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    We are not butting...I never started the stand up is better than ground. I like to ground fight too. My point starting was that people that do not fight in real combat are not the best for giving advise to those that do. You fight like you train. If you are a point fighter...in a real fight you will pull that punch because that is how you train.

    Fighting for real is differnent than the cage. the fear a competetor feels is one of not losing. the fear one getts in the street with a real bad guy is one of not dieing.

    I have had my ringtime when I was younger pre-blown ACL. I have had my nose broke 6 times kick-boxing. i still traine with MMA fighters useing NHB rules. i know I can get hurt doing it, but i do not worry about getting kiled.

    Back to the point of my rant. Poeple that have 3 or 4 years of fight training are not really qualifyed to tell others how to train.
    This isn't you in particular, but just a general thing that everyone seems to do that bothers me.

    WHY IS IT THAT WHEN I USE THE WORD "GRAPPLING," EVERYONE ASSUMES THAT I MEAN A GROUND FIGHT? WHEN DID THE CLINCH GAME STOP BEING GRAPPLING?

    I'm not arguing with you that fighting in a cage is different. I'm stating that it seems to be a good stepping stone. As for your "Fear of dying" thing, I'll reference Lord Asia's post above this one.

    As for the original point of your rant, I don't agree with that, either. I personally don't give much advice to people other than "Train alive" or specific grappling technique advice that I happen to know the answer to (which is not always the case. If I do not know, I don't try to answer), but why does experience have to come in years? Gumby has only been training in BJJ for a few years, but I would never hesitate to ask his advice for training. Hell, Rich effing Franklin has only been training for a few years, but somehow he ended up as a coach on TUF. My point here is that time in years is not the same thing as experience. Sure, they roughly correlate, but I'll generally take the advice of someone who has been training nonstop for the past 2-3 years over the advice of someone who trains 2 hours a week for 10 years.

    One thing I think we can all agree on is that lots and lots and lots of idiots post on bullshido, regardless of their years of experience. That is what the ignore function is for.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    henderson, nc
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    define good chance... you really don't see that many injuries in matches... most of their injuries come in practice... you're just hyping the sport... you can say the same about football, rughby... hell even soccer...
    as to ref stoppage... i see it the other way... but i'm old school and matches were more hardcore BEFORE the over abundance of rules and the regulatory bodies became involved
    as gumby isn't dead which i am glad of he was lucky, his attackers were ineffective, and his training helped... if six people are trying to kill you the you will probably die...

  5. #55
    Gezere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EVERY fight IS life and death
    WRONG

    if you don't train that way don't claim that it is self defense or "real" fighting... because with that attitude you will probably get killed, because you are not taking it seriously enough...
    Not true. Training KILL or BE KILLED for a civilian is likely to get them into trouble because they may esculate a situation beyond what it take to stop it. If you are training SD then you need to teach awareness and deesculation technique and instill in the person to know WHEN the threat has been nuetralized.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

  6. #56
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    This isn't you in particular, but just a general thing that everyone seems to do that bothers me.

    WHY IS IT THAT WHEN I USE THE WORD "GRAPPLING," EVERYONE ASSUMES THAT I MEAN A GROUND FIGHT? WHEN DID THE CLINCH GAME STOP BEING GRAPPLING?

    but why does experience have to come in years? .

    Thats just how humans are. I challenge you to find any teacher. Notice I said teacher...not competetor that would say "I think the same way now 18 years latter than i did when i was only 4 years into it." Knowlage is fast. Wisdom takes time. Understanding does not come in a few years. think of anything...a doctor that has been doing surgury for ten years will probably be better than a resident. someone that plays a guitar for 20 years will play circles around some one with 4 years of training. even if they do it all the time. it is the sublte things that take time.

  7. #57
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    In my areana people do die when they lose a fight. many of the Gunnfire deaths are with the officers own gun after losing a fight. many more are with the offenders gun durring the fight. I am not over it.
    You're living under a blanket of fear.


  8. #58
    Gezere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,579
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    http://www.odmp.org/year.php?year=2005

    In my areana people do die when they lose a fight. many of the Gunnfire deaths are with the officers own gun after losing a fight. many more are with the offenders gun durring the fight. I am not over it.
    Occupational hazard. At least you get to die on home soil. I supposed to ship out sometime (who knows) again to possibly die on foreign soil.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

  9. #59
    Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round supporting member
    Fighting Cephalopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,981
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    all the excuses you make for how real a cage fight is are spurious... it is harder because there are rules that limit what each man can do thus making it harder to destroy your enemy... i will not repost ufc rules... fear of performing badly is Not the same as fear of death...
    Gumby is a bouncer who has been in numerous "real fights" in his job. He's stated that cage fighting is harder.

    Asia is a soldier with combat experience. He agrees with Gumby's assessment.

    You disagree. Would you care to explain why we should take your word over theirs?

  10. #60
    wagamichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,405
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You're living under a blanket of fear.


    I live in reality. I funtion in it. I accept death as a potential part of my job.

    "The samuari before all things must keep in the forefront of his mind the fact that he must die"



    This is not a blanket of fear. It is how the warring class have allways dealt with the enevitability of what could happen. This is why I train and what I train for.
    Why do you train?

Page 6 of 14 First ... 2345678910 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO