Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:55pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I don't see anything explaining why you tried to say that punching skills are stored in the STM. .

I over simplified that stament but the point being, in combat stress, the fancy little armlock throw combo you did at the seminar last week will not be played out. the jab cross hook combo you worked at last night will.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    "Real" fighting? If you're referencing street fighting, then you're correct- a cage fight is 10 x more difficult.

I've been in more fights at the bar than I can care to remember, and since Im about 160-165lbs, just about every guy I've grabbed a hold of has been bigger tha me. I look at fighting people at the bar as a form of entertainment, and havent been in one that I've regretted yet. Fighting in an upcoming BJJ tournament has proven more difficult and strenuous on my nerves and adrenaline than any real fight has, and I've been in fights where I was stomped in the head by 6 guys with bad intentions.

You are more affraid of a game where a ref will stop it if you are about to die, than having 6 guys stomping on your head? did they take turns? I don't think 6 guys can stand around a head and stomp on it...there is not enough room. 3 mabey one at the top, one on each side...I guess 4 if one is one your back... :iamwithst

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    It was over simplifyed yes, but they still did have base in reality.
    Reality THEN not now.

Or are you saying JAPANESE ARMOR GRAPPLING is still valid today?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    fighting in the cage is not even close to real fighting... ICY if you mean the State of aikido sucks then i agree, if you mean aikido techniques suck then you are clearly wrong... found that thread i was refering to or should i post it?
    Read This

dumbass ... you should spend some time reading old threads here @ Bullshido instead of posting ....

I said almost the exact same thing a thousand fucking times .. and so have other people .

IT'S THE GODDAMN COMPLIANT LILY SOFT BUNNY STYLE TRAINING METHODS NOT SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES THEMSELVES ALTHOUGH SOME OF THEM ARE FUCKING USELESS

READ .. shut up and read ....then go do (test and compare) ... read some more ... do (test and compare) some more ... read some more ... Then fucking post .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 1/29/2006 3:22pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:14pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    I over simplified that stament but the point being, in combat stress, the fancy little armlock throw combo you did at the seminar last week will not be played out. the jab cross hook combo you worked at last night will.
    I'm curious as to why you think grappling techniques are much more complicated than a jab, cross, and hook combo. The jab/cross/hook must be rehearsed over and over and over again to be used properly. Grappling is the same in that respect. There are no "fancy" advanced grappling techniques, only basics done well.

I don't even really understand why we are butting heads over this. Martial arts work when you train them against resisting opponents. If a technique is in your procedural memory, you will stand a much better chance of pulling it off in a high-stress situation. The only part I really disagree with is when you say that competitions and cage fights are not realistic because people do not believe their lives will be ended by them. There is a massive amount of stress associated with these events. Hell, page 5 of that article you posted even talks about ramping up adrenaline levels slowly to allow people to adapt and recover more quickly. Wouldn't a competition or a cage fight work perfectly in this respect?

Edit: I should add that I meant that a competition or a cage fight would serve perfectly as a stepping stone to the real thing, not as proof of pudding.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/29/2006 3:23pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:18pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get real there is almost zero chance you will die in a match!!! even if the ref doesn't stop it quickly... the last ufc i watched i was disappointed because the ref stopped the fights too soon... if 6 guys were kicking you in the head with bad intentions you would be dead... as you are not dead, then something about your example is incorrect... if they had bad intentions ie wanted you dead then you would be...

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious as to why you think grappling techniques are much more complicated than a jab, cross, and hook combo. The jab/cross/hook must be rehearsed over and over and over again to be used properly. Grappling is the same in that respect. There are no "fancy" advanced grappling techniques, only basics done well.

I don't even really understand why we are butting heads over this. Martial arts work when you train them against resisting opponents. If a technique is in your procedural memory, you will stand a much better chance of pulling it off in a high-stress situation. The only part I really disagree with is when you say that competitions and cage fights are not realistic because people do not believe their lives will be ended by them. There is a massive amount of stress associated with these events. Hell, page 5 of that article you posted even talks about ramping up adrenaline levels slowly to allow people to adapt and recover more quickly. Wouldn't a competition or a cage fight work perfectly in this respect?

They just dont want to understand ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This may come to a bit of a shock but out of all the fights I've either witnessed or been in at clubs, bars, parks, fests, etc. NO ONE DIED!!! Hardly anyone need medical attention. *GASP* Can you die in a fight, Yes? You can also die in a boxing match (which pple have) or MMA match (only one death so far). Get over it and realize not ever fight is Life and death.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ?

We are not butting...I never started the stand up is better than ground. I like to ground fight too. My point starting was that people that do not fight in real combat are not the best for giving advise to those that do. You fight like you train. If you are a point fighter...in a real fight you will pull that punch because that is how you train.

Fighting for real is differnent than the cage. the fear a competetor feels is one of not losing. the fear one getts in the street with a real bad guy is one of not dieing.

I have had my ringtime when I was younger pre-blown ACL. I have had my nose broke 6 times kick-boxing. i still traine with MMA fighters useing NHB rules. i know I can get hurt doing it, but i do not worry about getting kiled.

Back to the point of my rant. Poeple that have 3 or 4 years of fight training are not really qualifyed to tell others how to train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 3:32pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree competition is a good form of practice, but it is a matter of degree... it can help, but can give you a lot of incorrect assumptions... EVERY fight IS life and death... if you don't train that way don't claim that it is self defense or "real" fighting... because with that attitude you will probably get killed, because you are not taking it seriously enough...
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast