Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:34pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    fighting in the cage is not even close to real fighting...
    "Real" fighting? If you're referencing street fighting, then you're correct- a cage fight is 10 x more difficult.

I've been in more fights at the bar than I can care to remember, and since Im about 160-165lbs, just about every guy I've grabbed a hold of has been bigger tha me. I look at fighting people at the bar as a form of entertainment, and havent been in one that I've regretted yet. Fighting in an upcoming BJJ tournament has proven more difficult and strenuous on my nerves and adrenaline than any real fight has, and I've been in fights where I was stomped in the head by 6 guys with bad intentions.

As far as claiming that a cage fighter has no fear when he steps into the cage, you could never be more wrong- EVERYONE is afraid when they step up to the competition plate- Anyone who claims they're not afraid is lying. Its not the emotions that seperate champions from chumps- everyone feels nervous and gets that adrenaline dump when they get ready to compete- its what you do with it that determines what kind of fighter you'll be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:35pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you thing the cognitive science sucks... well you should read some of their astrophysics **** in one of the other threads... what a bunch of einsteins...

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Akido techniques were born from the samurai arts. those guys fought for real. the teachniqes must work or they would be gone.
    Thats a way over simplified way of looking at it. The arts that were used in fuedal japan various ryus were SPECIALIZED adn many of those methods are not as apt today. Main example is Kumiuchi. Noone fights in fuedal style japanese armor so the techniques that were used for such comebat are not going to be as valid as they were then.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    "Real" fighting? If you're referencing street fighting, then you're correct- a cage fight is 10 x more difficult.

I've been in more fights at the bar than I can care to remember, and since Im about 160-165lbs, just about every guy I've grabbed a hold of has been bigger tha me. I look at fighting people at the bar as a form of entertainment, and havent been in one that I've regretted yet. Fighting in an upcoming BJJ tournament has proven more difficult and strenuous on my nerves and adrenaline than any real fight has, and I've been in fights where I was stomped in the head by 6 guys with bad intentions.

As far as claiming that a cage fighter has no fear when he steps into the cage, you could never be more wrong- EVERYONE is afraid when they step up to the competition plate- Anyone who claims they're not afraid is lying. Its not the emotions that seperate champions from chumps- everyone feels nervous and gets that adrenaline dump when they get ready to compete- its what you do with it that determines what kind of fighter you'll be.
    BINGO.

A "cage" fight or other MMA event is going to be way more difficult and taxing on the body.

And yes EVERY competitor has fears and doubts. It takes alot to step in front of pple and get your head beat on.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all the excuses you make for how real a cage fight is are spurious... it is harder because there are rules that limit what each man can do thus making it harder to destroy your enemy... i will not repost ufc rules... fear of performing badly is Not the same as fear of death...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wagamichi since you guys are talking about self defense type stuff as opposed to competiton fights try this link warning it is a big site:

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/

let me know what you think? i found it informative...

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:50pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    I am glad you go to school

I have been through this course about 3 times and have been a DT instructor at the IPD academy. This is from a combat vet. that is a police officer, Dr. and the current state police comendant for Indiana

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/winter97_8552_7.pdf

Here is another one with GRAFF,

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Su...03_69024_7.pdf

GO TO PAGE 5.
    I'm graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology in May, and shipping off to basic to start my enlistment as a linguist a month later . . .

Cool stuff. Why did you want me to go to page 5? I don't see anything explaining why you tried to say that punching skills are stored in the STM. I like the first little highlight of the conclusion of the first article you posted quite a bit. The part talking about professional competence through contact combat techniques. Looks like LEOs are learning good stuff these days.

You really should read through some old threads on similar topics. This stuff has been pounded out before. As for your comments about the average user here . . . well, this is a public forum. Lots of idiots around here. Even worse, there are a bunch of sarcastic asses along with a bunch of people that take internet sarcasm very seriously and fly off the handle about it. I post on here to get all the hot chicks, personally.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:52pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Thats a way over simplified way of looking at it. The arts that were used in fuedal japan various ryus were SPECIALIZED adn many of those methods are not as apt today. Main example is Kumiuchi. Noone fights in fuedal style japanese armor so the techniques that were used for such comebat are not going to be as valid as they were then.

It was over simplifyed yes, but they still did have base in reality.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:54pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Fighting in an upcoming BJJ tournament has proven more difficult and strenuous on my nerves and adrenaline than any real fight has, and I've been in fights where I was stomped in the head by 6 guys with bad intentions.
    This is usually the part of the thread where someone says "But this is anecdotal evidence and you have no proof anyway."

To preempt this argument: Gumby posted a bunch of pics of himself after this happened.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they also did not wear armor 24/7...
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast