Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:06pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    fighting in the cage is not even close to real fighting... ICY if you mean the State of aikido sucks then i agree, if you mean aikido techniques suck then you are clearly wrong... found that thread i was refering to or should i post it?

Akido techniques were born from the samurai arts. those guys fought for real. the teachniqes must work or they would be gone.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    For the record, I don't ever expect anyone to do this. I wouldn't.

However, I also expect people to NOT just say "You guys suck, this site sucks, wah. WAAAH!" and I certainly expect them NOT to make stupid threads about it.

Love it or leave it.

I never said you guys suck. the point of my thread was for the minority that speak as if they have fought many a battle....ops born in 1987.

I guess i shall not make blanket staments any more and just increase my flamming of the ignorant.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The competitor in the cage is not afraid to be there. Nervous, anxious, pumped up…not afraid. As such, he is not in the fight or flight mode. There are certain things that happen you can not control by being tough, or a champion. You are going to have an adrenalin dump. Long term memory is gone.
    I agree.

I like TMA and I train them for fun, I do not use chicken beak strikes on the street. I use jab cross and hook. These use gross motor skills and can be stored in short term memory by working the heavy bag every day.
    The same is true of grappling. Muscle memory is muscle memory. I'm not going to pull an omoplata on somebody in a street fight, but an armbar or rear naked choke? Sure.

I know dread thinks the lessons learned in a gun fight are silly. But here it goes...
    I understand that, and I've felt that "Holy **** I almost died just now" feeling, I understand perfectly that it doesn't happen in "the cage". I'm lazy when I'm fighting MMA style. There's no urgency. I'm not about to die.

Fighting in the cage is the closest to real fighting, but there is more you need to do to prepare for the real thing. And admitting it is the first step.
    Thank you Captain Obvious. See, it's not that I don't know these things, and it's not that I don't know that Dreadnought, etc, will protest and say they don't matter, and that's kind of annoying. It's just that I see no need to whine about it, and furthermore, I consider these facts so obvious that if anyone were to ignore them, they deserve a Darwin Award anyway.

See where I'm coming from?

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    I agree.
    Thank you Captain Obvious. See, it's not that I don't know these things, and it's not that I don't know that Dreadnought, etc, will protest and say they don't matter, and that's kind of annoying. It's just that I see no need to whine about it, and furthermore, I consider these facts so obvious that if anyone were to ignore them, they deserve a Darwin Award anyway.

See where I'm coming from?

See post 22

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICY if you mean the State of aikido sucks then i agree, if you mean aikido techniques suck then you are clearly wrong
    I think that the state of Aikido sucks. I think that Aikido techniques, without a proper emphasis on base, can suck pretty bad too. I think that Aikido techniques can be applied effectively, that guy who can kick my ass taught them to my instructor, who incorporated'em into his grappling and taught'em to me. But I would never, ever, ever fight someone using only those techniques.

See post 22
    Yeah, sorry, I was still writing my post when you posted that.

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:19pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    I use jab cross and hook. These use gross motor skills and can be stored in short term memory by working the heavy bag every day.
    Wow. And here in all of my psych classes we are learning that information Short Term Memory starts to erode almost immediately. In fact, according to this cute little graph that I am currently looking at in the text from my Cognitive Processes course, STM recall probability falls to less than 10% within 18 seconds.

Look, I think you are completely off-base in a lot of your arguments, but I wasn't going to argue with you about that stuff. It's been done a million times on here, and will be done a million times again, I'm sure. But please cease and desist all attempted use of scientific language unless you actually know what you are talking about. Your credibility takes a pretty fucking big hit when you misuse language.

The term you were looking for was procedural memory (an entirely separate pathway from the STM/LTM system), and "hitting the heavy bag" is such a gross overgeneralization of what it takes to learn and maintain a proper jab, cross, and hook that I do not even know what to say.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:22pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ALL Techniques...without a proper emphasis on base, can suck pretty bad...

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    ALL Techniques...without a proper emphasis on base, can suck pretty bad...
    And lots of techniques are pretty terrible even with a proper emphasis on base. What are you even trying to say here?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:32pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that you obviously know nothing about aikido... its techniques are effective, unfortunately most aikido instructors/dojos are crappy...

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Wow. And here in all of my psych classes we are learning that information Short Term Memory starts to erode almost immediately. In fact, according to this cute little graph that I am currently looking at in the text from my Cognitive Processes course, STM recall probability falls to less than 10% within 18 seconds.

Look, I think you are completely off-base in a lot of your arguments, but I wasn't going to argue with you about that stuff. It's been done a million times on here, and will be done a million times again, I'm sure. But please cease and desist all attempted use of scientific language unless you actually know what you are talking about. Your credibility takes a pretty fucking big hit when you misuse language.

The term you were looking for was procedural memory (an entirely separate pathway from the STM/LTM system), and "hitting the heavy bag" is such a gross overgeneralization of what it takes to learn and maintain a proper jab, cross, and hook that I do not even know what to say.

I am glad you go to school

I have been through this course about 3 times and have been a DT instructor at the IPD academy. This is from a combat vet. that is a police officer, Dr. and the current state police comendant for Indiana

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/winter97_8552_7.pdf

Here is another one with GRAFF,

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Su...03_69024_7.pdf

GO TO PAGE 5.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast