Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brutal, hard to do, taxing, painfull, dangerous, violent, and in need of hard tough fighters that know what they are doing, but not "real." as in some one trying to kill you if they can.
    Then there is only one way to truly test martial ability and technique!

MORTAL KOMBAAAAAT!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:34pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    she would surely(hopefully) take me down, mount and submit me...

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do these guys think that anyone is going to wade through the ridiculous amount of faqs and old posts
    For the record, I don't ever expect anyone to do this. I wouldn't.

However, I also expect people to NOT just say "You guys suck, this site sucks, wah. WAAAH!" and I certainly expect them NOT to make stupid threads about it.

Love it or leave it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can find nowhere in his post that he makes any such statements... he is saying something that i feel is legitimate that is that many of the posters on this site seem to be falling into the very traps/weaknesses that they point out in others... tell me again how aikido does not work... okay now go tell that to the poeple on this site who have very recently posted that indeed the have used aikido in spite of the fact that the persons i am speaking about have no training in aikido, and were really qiuet when i showed them that the technique they were so happy with and had used to great effect was indeed aikido... happy hunting!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know an Aikidoka who would fucking kill me. That does not change Aikido's suckiness.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:49pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    It seems that many here think that they have the only way of doing it. That there is only one way to train for “real”. Anything other than the way “you” do it must be bullshido. .
    Its the simple fact that fighting is a full contact event and people wont be pulling punches. The ideal training philosophy among any physical activity is to emulate, as best as possible, the situation that you are training for. Harder contact yields better results, and while its heavily advocated, people do realize that it obviously cant be practiced all the time, due to the injuries that arise from it.

Its not so much the practice of kata or kicking air or doing point sparring that people here are criticising, but rather the complete lack of a stronger sparring system.

For example, boxers and muay thai fighters could be considered to do kata when they shadow box, and they hit the air while they do it- they dont get knocked, however, because they dont limit their training to just that.

Many claim the infamous Mcdojo is after money! Well hell, the Brazilian schools I have seen want to drag out the black belt for up to 12 “solid” years at $125.00 a month. Great scam..

Have you trained in a grappling martial art? Its not a scam, but rather just how long it takes to become really proficient in that particular aspect of fighting- if you can find a way to advance someone to be able to compete at that level in a matter of 2 or 3 years, you'll make a fortune with your new BJJ school.

Another thing to take into account is that there are many famous BJJ guys who started out broke as a joke. Their instructors often took them under their wing and taught them FOR FREE. Marcello Garcia and Pe de Pano are popular ones that come to mind and my instructor has done the same with me- teaching me or someone else because they love to teach, and they found someone else who loves to learn- and they do it for free- that is the complete opposite of bullshido.

Many here only think that the “Cage” is the only real test of skill. And when anything that defies their understanding happens, they protest too much. The point of training is to win fights. There was that thread with the kung-fu street fight kid where he knocks the kid out after about 5 min. of mouth running and kung-fu posturing. The posts went apeshit about “well the other guy was not trained” “the kid got lucky” well guess what, he won the fight. A real fight. That was not bullshido. .

Its not that the cage is the only real test of skill, but rather that it is the ultimate test of skill- fighting an opponent who knows exactly what you know, and you're going to do this in front of thousands of fans who are cheering for your blood- thats gonig to put an awful lot of pressure on your shoulders.

The other thing to take into account is that this is a public website in that it anyone can post on here- statements made by those who have no clue what they're talking about (or by monday morning quarterbacks) do not exactly uphold the opinion of everyone on the website.

I look at personal profiles; a lot of the biggest mouths here were born in the late 80’s. A lot of the biggest “you do it wrongers” are 15-18 years old. With 4 years of Ma training. **** I have been doing MA’s for 24 years. I have been hurt; I have done the hurting, In 11 years of law enforcement I have charged about 200 people with resisting. Of that about 15 were really serious fights that could have gone really bad. But I have little kids here telling me that I don’t train with “aliveness” and that my training is not realistic. .
    See above

When it comes to who I listen too concerning combat/combat arts. It is not the MMA cage fighters. Yes they can fight. But many of them have not been in “real” fights. Or if they have, they are thugs with records.
    The cage is very real- you stand a higher chance of getting injured there, because (depending on the fight organization) you should be fighting someone near your skill level, which is established by weighing the results of your fights. When you fight some beer drinking slob at the bar who throws wide looping punches, hes not exactly going to be much of a threat.

I listen to those that have occupational experience fighting. There are a lot of things not present in the “cage” things like the unexpected and fear. Those things will really **** up your “plan” so to speak.
    The problem with listening to those people who have occupational experience is that they are not reliable. Anyone can make up stories, and often most people elaborate alot and change the details of a situation to better suit their ego. There is no evidence of what they've done, only "talk." The catch with cage fighters is that we have them on tape, so when Royce Gracie says "if you use this technique, you can choke someone unconcious" we can check his credentials, so to speak, by looking at his MMA fights.

I work in a bar that easily has 1500-2000 patrons each friday and saturday night- I will still tell you that Rich Franklin, a guy with such a demeanor that hes probably not been in a fight outside the octagon, knows a hell of a lot more about fighting than I do. Something else I can comment on about being on the bar scene in center city is that most bouncers and security personel are large muscular individuals who are mostly all brawn and no brains. A martial art is supposed to teach you how to use technique to help overcome strength, and how are you going to learn this from a guy who's training regime is limited weightlifting and prides himself on tossing someone out the door who's 50 lbs lighter than he is?

It is great that the name callers here train for the “cage” and you seem to have all the answers when it comes to fighting. Try that **** in the projects while the angry mob is gathering. To me submission is me dead, them handcuffed or them in the back of an ambulance.
    Any message board is going to have internet warriors- thats the advantage of being completely anonymous and able to communicate to anyone around the world. As far as fighting an angry mob, show me anything that enables you to win- hand to hand of course, since thats what we're talking about. No cage fighter ever claimed to be indestructable- everyone has someone else who kicks their ass, so you are in fact more in touch with reality in that you know what its like to lose (as opposed to someone who thinks they're deadly and has never fought).

Killing someone, handcuffing them, or loading someone into an ambulance is easily achieved after you've knocked the person out, choked them unconcious, or broken a major limb.

To me Bullshido is the Sensei that takes money to teach people how to fight when they themselves have never been in one. You wonder why so many of the TMA are goofy? Because for about 5 generations, these arts have not been used for real. The Mcsensei has been told this works by someone that was told it works.
    No argument there

As an example, you want to know what I found really takes the fight out of a guy? Throws. You slam someone on the street and they stop fighting. Many here want to call judo nothing more than a sport. Well, throws work for me and I have thrown a lot of people. I do not do judo, and have about 6 good throws but I would not call judo Bullshido.
    My instructors son has won numerous street fights using a basic hip throw- and it ended the fight right there. I dont know of any regular users on this board who ever discredited Judo or refused to call it more than a sport. The argument for bullshido on this website is NOT about which particular martial arts are important, but rather which training methods are important. There are people on this board who's martial arts experience ranges from kung fu, wrestling, karate, and TKD to Krav Maga and Japanese Ju Jitsu. Many of these people who do TMA are also respected as being good fighters- its not the style we're knocking, but rather the training methods, and over time, certain styles have become synonomous with specific training methods- muay thai, boxing, and wrestling are all known to train full contact- TKD, karate, and kung fu are notorious for doing the opposite, but this does not mean that just because you box or wrestle that you're not bullshido, and just because you do TKD, karate, or kung fu doesnt mean that you are bullshido.

Back to the Mcdojo, why is it that you seem to think any Dojo that makes a profit must be a Mcdojo? There are bills to pay. Students want the **** for free. Why is that? Do you deserve it? Do you think doctors should work for free? It is hard to teach people to fight. You do it every day and you are sore every night. You have to pay rent. You have to have insurance because the little shits that want “real” training will sue you when they get their nose broke. You have to pay to advertise, to buy the mats and bags, to print certificates, to chase down those that have not paid. It is a business. And I am sure that like my self, other full time Sensei still have to work a full time job to make their house payment.
    It certainly is a business, but the difference between someone in a McDojo and a doctor is that when you pay a doctor for a heart transplant, you're actually getting a heart. In a bullshido McDojo you're paying someone to teach you how to fight and he ends up teaching you ballet.

No one denies that martial arts instructors need to make a living as well, but Renzo Gracie's school charges upwards of $250 a month for unlimited training sessions, but his school doesnt get slammed because you know that you're actually learning how to fight. Someone from say West Wind Karate Studios, who charges you $400 a month so that he can get new rims for his second SUV while keeping you under the false impression that youre learning how to fight, deserves to be shot.

. It is the individual wearing the instructor patch that makes it a Mcdojo.
    Exactly what I wrote above- there are tma schools that have been recognized as good schools to train at, and there are BJJ schools that have been labled bullshido.

So in this respect, those of you that have 2 years of training, that want to point out all that is wrong with those other guys, you are yourselves spewing forth Bullshido with every click of your keyboard.
    No one likes monday morning quarterbacks and everyone who tries to tell others how its supposed to be done when they have never done it before in their life, but that doesnt mean that what they're saying is incorrect.

Bitch about TCMA all you want, Dale dugas has posted his home address and accepted the Bike rack after school challenge and yet none of you enlightened ones have taken him up on it. Why is that?
    The what?

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:56pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Then there is only one way to truly test martial ability and technique!

MORTAL KOMBAAAAAT!!!
    I never said that. Surely a good competitor is going to be able to fight. But I am talking about the things they never experience or get to analyze in their “opinions” on real fight training.

The competitor in the cage is not afraid to be there. Nervous, anxious, pumped up…not afraid. As such, he is not in the fight or flight mode. There are certain things that happen you can not control by being tough, or a champion. You are going to have an adrenalin dump. Long term memory is gone. The reptilian brain and the short term memory is all you have going.

I like TMA and I train them for fun, I do not use chicken beak strikes on the street. I use jab cross and hook. These use gross motor skills and can be stored in short term memory by working the heavy bag every day.

I know dread thinks the lessons learned in a gun fight are silly. But here it goes. An officer is shot and killed. You show up on the perimeter to contain the 2 known gunmen that are in an area of 20 blocks or so with sks’s. You get out of your car to get your shot gun out of the trunk and CRACK, CRACK, CRACK, CRACK…and the tree behind your head starts exploding bits of bark. You hit the deck and crawl in the rain behind your wheel and brake drum for cover and hope you don’t get hit. What did I learn about fight or flight? Well for starter the ears start ringing. Even though you’re not doing anything, you get shaky and tired, in about 12 to 15 seconds. It becomes hard to rack the shot gun but the training kicks in once you know you are not hit. It becomes hard to see for a moment or two. And even though you’re not scared at the moment for about 3 mins you shake not afraid but charged with chemicals.

Now the same thing will happen when some guy pulls a knife and says “mother fucker” boom there goes the adrenal gland. You have about 12 good seconds before **** stops working right. You need to end this now. The anaerobic state your muscles are in aren’t going to last long. A 20 second fight seems like 10 min. and you’re a conditioned fighter. What the hell is going on? This is a real fight. Not a match! There are ways to train for this, but it is not pleasant and it has nothing to do with the cage.

This is the kind of experience I am talking about. But alas, you guys know the “real” truth don’t you.

Fighting in the cage is the closest to real fighting, but there is more you need to do to prepare for the real thing. And admitting it is the first step.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 1:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know of any regular users on this board who ever discredited Judo or refused to call it more than a sport.
    *Jumps up and down wildly flailing arms*

I have a grudging respect for Judo, but Judo Bullshido was one of the main things that motivated me to start the site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fighting in the cage is not even close to real fighting... ICY if you mean the State of aikido sucks then i agree, if you mean aikido techniques suck then you are clearly wrong... found that thread i was refering to or should i post it?

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:04pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby

Exactly what I wrote above- there are tma schools that have been recognized as good schools to train at, and there are BJJ schools that have been labled bullshido.

The what?

Do not missunderstand me. I love ground fighting. But unlike many Mcdojo Sensei that buy a dvd or go to a seminar and teach BJJ? I pay a Pro NHB fighter to come to my school every friday gor No-Gi ground fighting. His name is Aaron Sullivan and he co-runs Itegrated fighting with Jason godsay. I go throug the training with my students.

Now the reason i brought him up. He is also on the police department I work at and developed the departments ground fighting class. that stuff is limmited but he has real fight expirence as well. and that is what i am talking about.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast