218358 Bullies, 6741 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 40 of 43
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    1/29/2006 11:58pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    On a lightly unrelated note, Iīve heard that hitting full power the heavy bag with the elbow may end in back pain, even injury, for the vibration. Personally Iīve noted a little disconfort after practicing elbows with the heavy bag for a while, in the upper back.

    BTW, can youn explain the difference between rolling with the punches and rolling under the punches? I think I donīt get what you mean.
    rolling with the punches = when you get punched, you turn your head with the punch to escape the impact.

    Rolling under punches = when someone throws a hook, you roll evade it by rolling under and outside the punch.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  2. Lights Out is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:01am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    rolling with the punches = when you get punched, you turn your head with the punch to escape the impact.

    Rolling under punches = when someone throws a hook, you roll evade it by rolling under and outside the punch.
    Urgh, itīs been a hard night at work and Iīm so tired my denseness has reached upper limits.

    I beleived you were making a difference between two ways of rolling punches when you actually get hit.
  3. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:07am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Urgh, itīs been a hard night at work and Iīm so tired my denseness has reached upper limits.

    I beleived you were making a difference between two ways of rolling punches when you actually get hit.

    No worries. The whole turning your head away with the punch thing is so amazingly stupid it hurts my head. Not only is keeping your neck loose (and chin up!?) going to make it easier to get knocked out, but turning your head away is REALLY going to get you knocked out (hence the old addage "the hit that hurts in the one you don't see coming").
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  4. Lights Out is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:14am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    No worries. The whole turning your head away with the punch thing is so amazingly stupid it hurts my head. Not only is keeping your neck loose (and chin up!?) going to make it easier to get knocked out, but turning your head away is REALLY going to get you knocked out (hence the old addage "the hit that hurts in the one you don't see coming").
    Hum... maybe I should reconsider my previous recomendation of "rolling with the punches". Iīve seen some boxers who did it (and some ex-boxers who endorse it"), but on a second look, keeping your neck tight may be better.

    Not to mention that if we take just two examples of each, we get:

    a) Mohammed Ali used to roll punches.

    b) Marvin Hagler (God, I love this guy) had a bullīs neck, always tight, very good chin.

    Iīll take b).

    Not to mention that if thereīs a benefity in rolling punches, in order to do it you have to keep your neck loose. Just imagine the reflexes it takes to roll a punch (and no, getting yopur head waiving because of the punch does not count).

    Yeah, forget the rolling with the punches thing in mi first? post on this thread.
  5. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:16am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Hum... maybe I should reconsider my previous recomendation of "rolling with the punches". Iīve seen some boxers who did it (and some ex-boxers who endorse it"), but on a second look, keeping your neck tight may be better.

    Not to mention that if we take just two examples of each, we get:

    a) Mohammed Ali used to roll punches.

    b) Marvin Hagler (God, I love this guy) had a bullīs neck, always tight, very good chin.

    Iīll take b).

    Not to mention that if thereīs a benefity in rolling punches, in order to do it you have to keep your neck loose. Just imagine the reflexes it takes to roll a punch (and no, getting yopur head waiving because of the punch does not count).

    Yeah, forget the rolling with the punches thing in mi first? post on this thread.

    I really wouldn't recommend trying to box like Muhammud Ali. He used some really risky strategies that required AMAZING amounts of talent to pull off.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  6. Lights Out is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:20am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I really wouldn't recommend trying to box like Muhammud Ali. He used some really risky strategies that required AMAZING amounts of talent to pull off.
    Yup, Iīd rather box like Hagler (ha ha, nor even in my wildest dreams... I wish!!!)

    Anyway, itīs funny how some noobies try the Ali footwork and low guard in sparring... usually, only once.
  7. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:24am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Yup, Iīd rather box like Hagler (ha ha, nor even in my wildest dreams... I wish!!!)

    Anyway, itīs funny how some noobies try the Ali footwork and low guard in sparring... usually, only once.
    every now and then when I'm sparring someone I don't feel will stomp me into mush for it I'll drop my hands into a low boxer guard to work headmovement. Of course, I pick up bad habits from my boxing that don't translate well into muay thai (like dropping too low when rolling under punches = getting kneed or kicked in the face)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  8. Lights Out is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:28am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Of course, I pick up bad habits from my boxing that don't translate well into muay thai (like dropping too low when rolling under punches = getting kneed or kicked in the face)
    Now that you mention that...

    When I was doing kickboxingm, we were taught to roll under hooks, but when the Thai instructor came, he told us that that was ill-advised, for the same reason you posted.

    He also was trying to teach us a kinda weird footwork which is a little hard for me to explain in english at this moment. Anyway, with said footwork, you were always moving, forward, or backwrads, but always moving. With every hit there was a step, and you always evaded punches by stepping backwards, not rolling.
  9. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:35am

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Now that you mention that...

    When I was doing kickboxingm, we were taught to roll under hooks, but when the Thai instructor came, he told us that that was ill-advised, for the same reason you posted.

    He also was trying to teach us a kinda weird footwork which is a little hard for me to explain in english at this moment. Anyway, with said footwork, you were always moving, forward, or backwrads, but always moving. With every hit there was a step, and you always evaded punches by stepping backwards, not rolling.
    This is why I'm so back and forth between wether I like boxing or muay thai more as a sport. In muay thai you can kick and knee and all this great stuff, but in boxing you can do fun stuff like duck and roll and work all kinds of fun headmovement.

    The footwork thing you're talking about sounds similar to something we learned not long ago in boxing (though I'm sure the actual footwork is totally different). You sort of shuffle your feet, pointing them sideways and jabbing and pointing them forwardish and throwing a cross, and with each movement you'd either go forward or backward. The idea was, instead of just flatout retreating or rushing in, you'd move in a way which was conducive to simultaneously throwing a strike.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  10. Lights Out is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,173

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:44am

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iīll try to explain the footwork, but I donīt promise I can make a decent and coherent explanationa t this time (6:40 in the morning, been working since 00:00 and woke uo since yesterday at 15:00, more or less).

    The footwork goes more or less like this, youīre feet are always one flat on the ground, and the other on the heel, always alternating them in a fast pace.

    If you were to throw a jab-cross combination, you should a) step with your front foot, landin the jab at the same time your foot hits the ground, and then step with your rear foot, same as above. The lenght of the step always depending on the distance from the target, of course.

    The point is that you have to move forwrd to hit, or backwards, but no staying in the same spot exchanging punches... or so I think, the instructor only spoke poor english (poorer than mine, even), and couldnīt explain himself too much.

    In kickboxing we used to step in with the jab, throw or combination and step out, usually with a left hook to "cover" our retreat.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.