Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 7:16pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The "glass jaw" can it be trained out?

I know it's someone who gets K.Oed easily. But can it be trained out over time? Can someone get rid of it?

I havent gotten knocked out before, though im getting closer and closer before the teacher will let me actually let me spar hard.

How do you know if you do or do not have a glass jaw?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 7:27pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought the glass jaw really came down to people who just had poor technique and left themselves open to take hits. Most people will get knocked out if they dont have decent guard. Another way people tend to get knocked out is if they are gassed and breathing from the mouth when they get hit. I dont think there is skill to taking hits in the face.

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Altrought there are certain things you can do to "improve" a little your "punishment-taking capacity", itīs a thing that you either have or not.

Strong neck muscles (or strenghtening tham), biting hard on your mouthpiece, good neck/head locking, rolling circular punches... these are the things you can do to absorb better a hit.

But as I previously said, you either have a good chin, or you donīt. It isnīt trainable.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It kan be trained out komrade! Everday in practice let your partners punch you repeatedly in the jaw to toughen you up. Then, when you have no more teeth left insert metal shanks into your gumline under the skin. This is what we do in Mutha' Russia.

Seriously though, only one way to find out if you've got one is to spar. Now, go forth young warrior and let us know how it turns out.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 7:46pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sometimes people get labled as having a glass jaw after taking a huge punch that would knock out an elephant. If you have had your jaw broken before it may be weaker. Keep your chin down and if your freakish you will never have to find out if you have a glass jaw.

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I always thought the glass jaw really came down to people who just had poor technique and left themselves open to take hits. Most people will get knocked out if they dont have decent guard. Another way people tend to get knocked out is if they are gassed and breathing from the mouth when they get hit. I dont think there is skill to taking hits in the face.
    You COULD say that.....but I really think that there's something else to, say, Mark Hunt's head being fucking indestructible other than him having a good guard.
    I can't say whether it's his training methods or if big New Zealanders just have concrete for brains.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:32pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lights out hit the nail on the head, either you have it, or you don't. Strong neck muscles can help though. Try to keep your chin tucked and your hands up, it'll do wonders.

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    It kan be trained out komrade! Everday in practice let your partners punch you repeatedly in the jaw to toughen you up. Then, when you have no more teeth left insert metal shanks into your gumline under the skin. This is what we do in Mutha' Russia.

Boxing USSR style, komrade!

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    Well, that (bolded) is one of the keys there. If youīre biting your mohtpiece, your jaw does not "wail" that much as if you have your moth open and lessers the vibration thatīs transmited to your head (which makes the brain crash against the inner walls of the skull).

Also, another point is that boxers/fighters who are well conditioned recover faster from hard hits (or thatīs what they say). Altrought I donīt know how conditioning has a influence in this.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do what Systema guys do: Keep your chin up and neck loose so that when you get hit you can roll with the punch. Aint that grand!

(ps, I hate systema)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast