224712 Bullies, 4184 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 57 of 57
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. j416to is offline

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,242

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 11:05pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lifetime

    I agree with you when you say that there was great value in slowing down your kicks, to make sure your form was correct. And then ramping your training back up, after that.

    But extreme slow motion is an entirely different thing.
  2. losttrak is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    348

    Posted On:
    2/01/2006 4:00pm


     Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    I'm not sure those concepts really apply here. You're argument about neurologocal pathways might be true if both motions were conceptually the same, but they're not. Extreme slow motion kicking, with the occasional stopping, minimizes your accelerations; while kicking power requires you to generate as much physical acceleration as possible. And following the same physical path has very little vaule when it comes to learning how manage or create accelerations.

    I will give you a few counter examples:

    1) Walking a mile in slow motion will not train you to run that same mile as fast as you can. Walking and running are two different things, even if you're doing it over the same terrain.

    2) Balancing a motorcycle as slowly as you can, stopping ocassionally to force your muscles to hold the bike up, will not train you how to ride that same motorcycle at 150 mph. The accelerations, the reaction times, are totally different.
    You are right, acceleration has nothing to do with neurological pathways unless you are talking about muscular inhibitors. We are talking about two different things. If you want to discuss how to generate speed/power, we can digress there. However, that was not the theme of my slow-kicking post. I guess this is why reading comprehesion was such a huge focus back in the day. It seems to be utterly lost nowadays... =D
  3. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/01/2006 4:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    You are right, acceleration has nothing to do with neurological pathways unless you are talking about muscular inhibitors. We are talking about two different things. If you want to discuss how to generate speed/power, we can digress there. However, that was not the theme of my slow-kicking post. I guess this is why reading comprehesion was such a huge focus back in the day. It seems to be utterly lost nowadays... =D
    Inhibition is not just the only neurological pathway which affects speed.

    Accelaration of a limb is a function of "starting strength" - the ability of the nervous system to activate as many muscle fibres as possible within the particular muscle at the same time or close to the same time. The stretch reflex can also be involved in this process.
  4. losttrak is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    348

    Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:02pm


     Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Inhibition is not just the only neurological pathway which affects speed.

    Accelaration of a limb is a function of "starting strength" - the ability of the nervous system to activate as many muscle fibres as possible within the particular muscle at the same time or close to the same time. The stretch reflex can also be involved in this process.
    That is interesting, and if you had some documentation on that, I would like to read it. Ne'ertheless, the whole acceleration/speed/power wasn't the crux of the post. However, one should never pass up the chance to learn something new when the opportunity arises. Thanks.
  5. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:44am

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    That is interesting, and if you had some documentation on that, I would like to read it. Ne'ertheless, the whole acceleration/speed/power wasn't the crux of the post. However, one should never pass up the chance to learn something new when the opportunity arises. Thanks.

    This should get you started. Enjoy!

    Google search: "Starting Strength"
  6. losttrak is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    348

    Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:48pm


     Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    This should get you started. Enjoy!

    Google search: "Starting Strength"

    Grazie, sir.
  7. elbowtko is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    133

    Posted On:
    2/02/2006 7:20pm


     Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just Do Both!?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.