Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:39pm

Style: American Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate vs. TKD

My second post as n00b. Please read..for the good of karate practicioners everywhere...........

Now, before you say: "Hmm, since I've read so many topics on Bullshido about how TKD is such an amazing art, the very fact that the Green Beast even posted a topic with the words, TKD and Karate in the same sentence is a disgrace to all martial art practicioners evrywhere"...but, hear me out.

First, I'd like to clear a few things up about Karate that many of the avid TKD supporters or other martial artists have mislead the general republic about.

1. In karate, once one has graduated beyond the beginner belts, chambering in kicking and punching becomes obsolete. Kicks transfer directly from the ground to their target. Their twice as fast as regular kicks, and just as powerful

2. Regarding power, the Karate kick is by no means weaker than the TKD kick, In fact, in many aspects, the Karate kick is stronger. TKD uses the back leg as their principal means of defense as well as attack, while Karate uses the front. Front leg kicks are not only faster than the TKD back leg kick, but if used in a slide or pull, twice as strong.

3. I don't know where anyone gets this impression that Karate martial artists are extremely stiff, rigid , and traditional. This is not true. Karate is an extremely flexible art that can bend to accomadate new kicks, new stances, and new blocks. I know from personal experience. I've invented several kicks myself (Not exactly practical I might add, but rather rewarding when you land :) )

Now, if anyone can tell me how TKD is better than Karate, I promise I can counter every point effectively and clearly. Maybe I can earn my art the respect it deserves around here.....

-The Beast

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Beast
    1. In karate, once one has graduated beyond the beginner belts, chambering in kicking and punching becomes obsolete. Kicks transfer directly from the ground to their target. Their twice as fast as regular kicks, and just as powerful
    Chambering in punching should never be advocated in sparring ever. If it is simply removed beyond beginner belts, that is inefficient, those beginners will already have developed bad habits.

Chambering in kicking should be learned, but definitely is not the only way to kick. However I wouldn't say it should become obsolete. Without chambering, someone is likely to sweep you or grab your leg. The recovery time is much slower and you commit more.

2. Regarding power, the Karate kick is by no means weaker than the TKD kick, In fact, in many aspects, the Karate kick is stronger. TKD uses the back leg as their principal means of defense as well as attack, while Karate uses the front. Front leg kicks are not only faster than the TKD back leg kick, but if used in a slide or pull, twice as strong.
    Rampant generalizing. Not all TKD practitioners exclusively pick the back leg. This is like saying that Karate people only like to punch with their left hand. Ridiculous. Whether a kick is stronger thrown by the back leg or front leg is dependent upon footwork, hip torque, and individual's strength, NOT by whether you practice karate or TKD.

3. I don't know where anyone gets this impression that Karate martial artists are extremely stiff, rigid , and traditional. This is not true. Karate is an extremely flexible art that can bend to accomadate new kicks, new stances, and new blocks. I know from personal experience. I've invented several kicks myself (Not exactly practical I might add, but rather rewarding when you land :) )
    What kicks did you "invent"? Kicking arts have been around for a while. I doubt you have discovered anything that someone has not tried before.

Now, if anyone can tell me how TKD is better than Karate, I promise I can counter every point effectively and clearly. Maybe I can earn my art the respect it deserves around here.....
    No one will. See whether something is effective or better depends all on the individual and how they train it. You are obviously a beginner, but hey, better to get educated here than by some irritated TKD fighter who you would have eventually pissed off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:55pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lurk more... post less... you have no clue...

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:58pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    0.000001 out of 10.

Seriously. "The Beast" only posts in one form, and that form's name is JFS USA. I predict record fast banning.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Lurk more... post less... you have no clue...
    I appreciate your postive input.

And Eternal Rage, forgive me but I thought this was the "Your Style Sucks forum.

Now for a reciprocation.

Chambering in punching should never be advocated in sparring ever. If it is simply removed beyond beginner belts, that is inefficient, those beginners will already have developed bad habits.

Chambering in kicking should be learned, but definitely is not the only way to kick. However I wouldn't say it should become obsolete. Without chambering, someone is likely to sweep you or grab your leg. The recovery time is much slower and you commit more.
    My mistake. By beginner belts, I meant: not advanced belts. Throughout the beginner belts as well as intermediate belts, the chamber is still used, yet less seldom as time goes on. Also, I said the kick became obsolete. Not that it became unused. The chamber may be used in certain situations, but coming from the floor is almost always better in every way and, I'm sorry, but I fail to see how if a foot comes directly towards a target, it is easier to get swept. It seems that it would be easier to catch a kick or sweep a leg if one could see the kick coming (eg: chamber)

Rampant generalizing. Not all TKD practitioners exclusively pick the back leg. This is like saying that Karate people only like to punch with their left hand. Ridiculous. Whether a kick is stronger thrown by the back leg or front leg is dependent upon footwork, hip torque, and individual's strength, NOT by whether you practice karate or TKD.
    Not rampart generalizing. Opinionated observation. I've been to several TKD schools, as well as several karate schools, and the primary kick for TKD is the back leg. This is not saying that this is the only kick that is at the disposal of a TKD fighter, it just seems to me (and from what I've read on the board) and most of the people of these forums: The back leg TKD kick is the most powerful and overall "best" (?) Also, you confuse me when you say that "Whether a kick is stronger thrown by the back leg or front leg is dependent upon footwork, hip torque, and individual's strength, NOT by whether you practice karate or TKD"
    When you say that a kicker's strength depdnds on footwork, individual strength, hip pivot etc., isn't that the same as saying "How a school teaches it's students to kick" ? I'm not saying that ALL Karate sidekicks are more power than ALL TKD back leg kicks. Of course a 200 pound man will kick harder than a 80 pound child. I'm saying that (This is an opinionated observation!) if two, 200 pound men, one in TKD and one in Karate, both having perfect form, foot position, with the exact same physical strength threw a bacl leg kick and aslide up side kick: The one who used the sidekick would have a stronger kick.

What kicks did you "invent"? Kicking arts have been around for a while. I doubt you have discovered anything that someone has not tried before.
    God, you just want to tear me apart don't you? Examples of kicks I've "invented" (of course not literally...jesus) : A leaping cartwheel kick off the back of a bigger man into the head of the opponent, 720 degree jumping ridegand., Spaghetti kick *flip the knee around like spaghetti to confuse oppoent then release any kick.

No one will. See whether something is effective or better depends all on the individual and how they train it. You are obviously a beginner, but hey, better to get educated here than by some irritated TKD fighter who you would have eventually pissed off.
    I'm still under the impression that this was a "Your style sucks forum". I was simply playing the devil's advocate. I appreciate your advice, but this seems like the place where I WANT to piss off an irritated TKD fighter.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:36pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTH? TKD is normally trashed constantly on Bullshido. Even more than American Karate...

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point of this forum isn't actually to insult each other's arts so much as when we do... comparitive analysis. And my analysis shows that Muay Thai > American Karate and TKD on average.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And that's an okay analysis. It's also an informative peice of information no one has yet to tell me. I appreciate that.

I also appreciate Garbanzo Bean. You're great. Really. You too Slydermv. I didn't forget about you.

I shall now (once again) offer MY analysis .

American Karate > TKD. Discuss.

P.S: By the way, Garbanzo Bean, what on earth are you talking about?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:50pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    chambering is a misunderstood concept that i have yet to see anyone explain correctly.

saying chambering becomes obsolete shows a complete lack of understand behind the concept.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 9:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Beast
    And that's an okay analysis. It's also an informative peice of information no one has yet to tell me. I appreciate that.

I also appreciate Garbanzo Bean. You're great. Really. You too Slydermv. I didn't forget about you.

I shall now (once again) offer MY analysis .

American Karate > TKD. Discuss.

P.S: By the way, Garbanzo Bean, what on earth are you talking about?
    I'm going to agree with you that American Karate > TKD the majority of the time mainly due to most TKD schools having a complete point sparring focus. I've seen less American Karate so I'm not able to judge that as well, but from what I can tell they do less 720 degree spinning jump kicks, so that gives them an edge.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast