Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo
    As an aside, I'm under the impression that BJJ competition rules are largely not standardized; at least, not as standard as the IJF rules.
    True. Though everyone (apart from Rorion) agrees on the point system tournaments will vary wildly as to what submissions are allowed, and at what level.
  2. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and thus my degenerating spine.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't win by throwing someone onto their back.
    It is a GRAPPLING sport in which you can earn 2 points for throwing someone...that is it. Then it will remain on the ground. Giving the BJJer a great deal of time to regain the 2 points and then some. If you throw and then back away from the ground game...expecting your opponent to get up so you can throw him again...you will be penalized. Same as if you are on the ground and fight to get away just to stand up. You MUST fight on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:05pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    You don't win by throwing someone onto their back.
    It is a GRAPPLING sport in which you can earn 2 points for throwing someone...that is it. Then it will remain on the ground. Giving the BJJer a great deal of time to regain the 2 points and then some. If you throw and then back away from the ground game...expecting your opponent to get up so you can throw him again...you will be penalized. Same as if you are on the ground and fight to get away just to stand up. You MUST fight on the ground.
    This actually depends on the specific tournament rules as well. I have been to tournaments where people have done exactly that.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you knock them unconcious with the throw you win though.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    INTERNATIONAL BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU FEDERATION

TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT OF REGULATIONS AND RULES OF JIU-JITSU

Article 5.2) Fouls not as serious:

E-) When the athlete stalls the fight, holding his adversary and, not seeking to engage or gain submissions when in the guard, on top, or on the bottom. Holding the opponent, standing up, or any position designed to stall. Noticing this the referee will request that 30 seconds be marked. At the end of the 30 seconds if the athlete hasnít changed his position or shown visible signs of engagement, the same will lose 2 points and both athletes will return to their feet at neutral positions. The same will happen on the 2nd offence, with the possibility of disqualification on the 3rd offence
    http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:03pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    INTERNATIONAL BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU FEDERATION

TECHNICAL DEPARTMENT OF REGULATIONS AND RULES OF JIU-JITSU

Article 5.2) Fouls not as serious:

E-) When the athlete stalls the fight, holding his adversary and, not seeking to engage or gain submissions when in the guard, on top, or on the bottom. Holding the opponent, standing up, or any position designed to stall. Noticing this the referee will request that 30 seconds be marked. At the end of the 30 seconds if the athlete hasnít changed his position or shown visible signs of engagement, the same will lose 2 points and both athletes will return to their feet at neutral positions. The same will happen on the 2nd offence, with the possibility of disqualification on the 3rd offence

http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm
    I think that's to mean if you're on top and you just decide to stand up and disengage, that's considered stalling. This is to prevent wrestlers or takedown artists to just continually take their opponent down, score two points and repeat, rather than work to improve their position or work for a submission. I stand up to pass guard all the time, or work to my feet when I'm on the bottom.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Puts hands to forehead*

*closes eyes*

*shakes head*

..sigh...

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 6:00pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this thread has potential...

zzzzzz

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:56pm

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much for all your advice and comments. Although, i must clarify that we do not train in judo, so he dosen't have to wory about not doing judo.

He was invited to a brazilian ju-jitsu place and he called to see if it was good to go for him to go. And the place is holding a tournament or something soon and i think that he wants to try it out. So i told him that he absolutely should, nothing beats trying aout all possibilities
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast