Page 5 of 85 First 1234567891555 ... Last
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We used to have standards for a get together to be called a "Throwdown".

    You know, real fighting and all, with gloves, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

  2. #42
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the main points made in that post is that people feel the need to be rewarded, if not validated, for simply showing up and looking like idiots.

    If you show up and it's demonstrated that you suck, you should use that knowledge to your own benefit and go train in something that doesn't suck. Instead, people are acting like showing up was the important part, and it entitles them to do a certain status around here... one exempt from criticism.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    912
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    If they suck, why does it matter if they walk the walk?

    What if, despite protestation to the contrary, that white belt really thinks they're better than the color on their belt implies? Or if they think just being there makes them immune to criticism?

    From my brief time here, it seems that validation through throwdowns only seems important to people that are insecure about their skills because they don't get them pressure tested everyday.
    By which I mean they train in crappy schools or in what are typically crappy styles.

    If you train in something with regular sparring (i.e. something that doesn't suck), meeting up with roleplayers and sparring isn't going to be either apealing or the sparring novel enough to care about.
    But these guys are trying to improve, and I haven't seen any of them post about being an undefeatable ass kicking mofo on these boards. Hence these guys are the white belt level you speak of and readily admit it. Not one of has put on that they are better then they are. They have all said they are trying to learn. So here you get a guy that could tap all of em, based on what I know, be a dip **** for no reason. I have nothing against flaming **** tards who have no clue. But for no reason, it's petty and immature. Him having just gotten out of highschool explains alot.

    As for your example:

    Now, if this is the only experiance they get on the ground or what have you, then I also agree they should be learning from a qualified instructor. But based on my understading, these people are just beginging to get into MMA type stuff, (getting lessons, etc.) so of course they are going to suck. And for a person to bash em for going out and testing themselves... it's fucking pathetic.

    And this whole throwdown idea... isn't that what bullshido is about? Post video, show your skills, then we'll believe your critism... else shut the **** up.

    Obviously a throwdown dosen't even come close to qualified instruction, but what... people without 500 hours of mat time aren't allowed to show up now? Or if they do, they'll get flamed into oblivion. It a pretty elitist ideal and it licks balls.

    I've only been training 2 years, I suck... and take shitty TKD. That means I'm not allowed to try out some kick boxing matches at a throwdown now?

    Or I just started JJ a month ago. I cant come roll and learn?

  4. #44
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    We used to have standards for a get together to be called a "Throwdown".

    You know, real fighting and all, with gloves, etc.
    Which is why The Inquisition took particular offence to prancing around with knives at no fewer than ten paces.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    912
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    One of the main points made in that post is that people feel the need to be rewarded, if not validated, for simply showing up and looking like idiots.

    If you show up and it's demonstrated that you suck, you should use that knowledge to your own benefit and go train in something that doesn't suck. Instead, people are acting like showing up was the important part, and it entitles them to do a certain status around here... one exempt from criticism.
    This I agree with, but bashing on people who suck and are trying to learn is retarded.

    Not everyone is going to be a great striker or grappler right away... and I don't see any of these guys giving advice like they are the end all and be all.

    As for posts saying they are better then other people throwing down, I haven't seen any of these either... but I can understand this sentiment. However, Aeso attack looks to me as him just being a dick cause these guys just aren't that good...

  6. #46
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is so much humor in this thread on so many levels that my head might explode.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Which is why The Inquisition took particular offence to prancing around with knives at no fewer than ten paces.
    I remember how everyone tore into you, and how bad you sucked when you put up your video.

    The good that did was that you went and got your blue belt.

    Now, why can't these MD ppl do the same?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    912
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I remember how everyone tore into you, and how bad you sucked when you put up your video.

    The good that did was that you went and got your blue belt.

    Now, why can't these MD ppl do the same?!

    Maybe if someone who had experiance told em that they need work... they would. Maybe they are as we speak. The flame fest that was Aeso's post was hardly necessary.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,918
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I remember how everyone tore into you, and how bad you sucked when you put up your video.

    The good that did was that you went and got your blue belt.

    Now, why can't these MD ppl do the same?!
    i'm pretty sure this conversation took place in the "Forearm choke" thread. i didn't pay attention enough to see the result.

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,750
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv
    Maybe if someone who had experiance told em that they need work... they would. Maybe they are as we speak. The flame fest that was Aeso's post was hardly necessary.
    Maybe. However, we now have these videos, which call itself "BULLSHIDO THROWDOWNS" which, dare I say, suck ass.

    Thumbs up for trying kids, really. However, this wasn't a throwdown. Not in the sense that the Mega Throwdown was, or the ruleset that was set forth by PHROST on what a Throwdown is.

    I haven't been to a throwdown since 2003. I haven't trained much since 2003, and any filming of me floundering around like a dead fish, or trying to do a high kick without any flexiablity would do more harm, than good to the "MISSION STATEMENT" that Bullshido exspouses.

    Aesopian was trying to put in humor what I just posted.

    I can't be anymore truthful than that. It is not an affront to anyone, it is the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Page 5 of 85 First 1234567891555 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO