Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 6:53am

Style: TKD,MuayThai,Boxing,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muscles sore and sharp pain after stretching ( attempt to split )

Usually after my taekwondo lessons,the next day,my legs will feel extremely sore.I still can walk/run or even play soccer,but its really hurts my leg real bad.I don't really know the exact name of tat certain area,but its the part behind my shin.As you know we had to do alot of stretching and splits attempt in taekwondo,when i tried to force myself down... ( side split ) the area between and hip and tight will hurt ..and its kind of a sharp pain.Anyone face this kind of problems before?Or is it normal.I only took TKD since last year ( currently 18 yrs old ) which explains why i sux at stretching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 7:21am

Style: Not much at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My advice would be:

If you are in an unusual amount of pain and it doesn't feel normal/right....

...get it checked out by a qualified medical practitioner. For example, your doctor or a decent sports physio therapist.

For the record, I tore a muslce in one of my right adductors (got a weird soreness and sharp pain....) and left it for 4 months, and carried on training, before getting it seen to. I went to a physio after I noticed an odd lump on the inside of my leg (which turned out to be a mass of scar tissue on the muscle). The nice lady fixed it but it has never been 100% since. Don't do that. If you don't feel right, get it checked out.

edit: And for advice on stretching, either read the streching in detail thread, or try Streching Scientifically by Tomas Kurz, they are both interesting reading.
    Last edited by PsychoMongoose; 1/25/2006 7:25am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:00am

Style: TKD,MuayThai,Boxing,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the pain started after like 2-3 TKD lessons when the instructor force us to go down ( split ) ...the pain at the side of my legs is pretty unbearable =\
    When i squeeze affected area,it became painful ...kind of like muscle sore..but much worse

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:41am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He forced you to go down? Leave that instructor now he is bad news. You dont 'force' any kind of stretch. It is a gradual process that is slow and takes time. It took me 2 years to be able to do the full splits when I was 15. I bet it would take me longer now if I wanted that kind of flexiblity again. No one should ever by forcing you to stretch to the point of pain ever. So get out now and see a doctor just to be safe, you could of torn something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:49am

Style: Not much at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, if it hurts that much, go and get it looked at by a qualified medical practioner/physiotherapist.

If you have torn something (and it sounds suspiciously like you could have) then you're going to have to get some treatment/advice on what to do about it, and random strangers on t3h internetweb aren't going to be able to give you satisfactory advice.

Oh and for gods sake don't carry on forcing yourself down to do the splits beyond your ability. It's unecessary and downright dangerous. If you have got a strain or worse doing that is only going to make it worse.

edit: I agree with the above, your instructor should never, ever, ever be forcing you beyond where you can comfortably go. It's an ignorant and outdated practice that is sure to **** you up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:19am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously, medical advice is the best if you are in that much discomfort....

However, as a person just starting MA's, you are bound to go though alot of soreness as you are using muscles you haven't used for a while. Instructors assisting you with stretching is ok... to a point... (we do partner stretching all the time, gradually and carefully)

When I first started, my hamstrings and leg muscles were sore all the time to the point I was limping. Don't overdo it. Take a break for 4-5 days if you need to.... but don't let a little soreness stop you from training. If your legs are really tight..... just kick a little lower until you are warmed up right. Flexability takes alot of time. Don't force things... stay relaxed, and it should help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:30pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soak your legs in hot water and epsom salts.
    If it's just over training it will go away. If it keeps comming back, have a professional check it for chronic injury.
    Also if you body it hurting, it means you should reevaluate what you doing and may be do it differently.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long ago I pulled out something where my right leg joins the hip (or at least that's where I felt it). It hurted a lot for a few days, but after that, it was just this weird sensation whenever I walked (a 'click' sensation every now and then deep within the hip). Since I was young (and therefore stupid), I never got it checked. Fortunately, it never developed into anything serious, so I was lucky. Still, I was stupid for not going to the doctor.

You should go to the doctor, just in case. It could just be that your muscles are 'knotted', a cramp, or a sore ligament. But you should go check it.

As for your instructor forcing you into the split, I'm not surprised. When I took shotokan at community college, the instructor forced me into a quasi-split : you know the standard stretch where you sit, bend your knees at 45 degree angles, grab your ankles and move your knees outward? Well, my instructor came from behind and started pushing my knees until they touched the floor. I was very inflexible back then, and that was the first time ever for me.

My instructor kept telling me to relax, but you know what? I felt like my balls were going to come out of my ass while he was pushing my knees. He was a douchebag, and if your instructor forced you into a split, so is he. Stretching of that kind is something that you either can do it or not. It's not something that you force somebody into (unless you want to **** up his/her ligaments.)

Get some 'tiger palm' and massage that area, or as close as you can, and take some anti-inflamatories. If that sensation doesn't go away in a matter of days (and I mean a few days, not 30 or 60 days), go see a doctor.

Good luck and be safe.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:22pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Do not force into stretch.
    2. Relax into stretch, breathe normally, deeply.
    3. Warm up before stretching.
    4. Stretch lower back before hips and legs since stretching the lower body puts a lot of stress on the lower back.

Read www.stadion.com . Find the monthly column.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 10:42pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Long ago I pulled out something where my right leg joins the hip (or at least that's where I felt it). It hurted a lot for a few days, but after that, it was just this weird sensation whenever I walked (a 'click' sensation every now and then deep within the hip). Since I was young (and therefore stupid), I never got it checked. Fortunately, it never developed into anything serious, so I was lucky. Still, I was stupid for not going to the doctor.

You should go to the doctor, just in case. It could just be that your muscles are 'knotted', a cramp, or a sore ligament. But you should go check it.

As for your instructor forcing you into the split, I'm not surprised. When I took shotokan at community college, the instructor forced me into a quasi-split : you know the standard stretch where you sit, bend your knees at 45 degree angles, grab your ankles and move your knees outward? Well, my instructor came from behind and started pushing my knees until they touched the floor. I was very inflexible back then, and that was the first time ever for me.

My instructor kept telling me to relax, but you know what? I felt like my balls were going to come out of my ass while he was pushing my knees. He was a douchebag, and if your instructor forced you into a split, so is he. Stretching of that kind is something that you either can do it or not. It's not something that you force somebody into (unless you want to **** up his/her ligaments.)

Get some 'tiger palm' and massage that area, or as close as you can, and take some anti-inflamatories. If that sensation doesn't go away in a matter of days (and I mean a few days, not 30 or 60 days), go see a doctor.

Good luck and be safe.
    I think you mean tiger balm, I dont think I would use that in an area that is not exposed to air, binding (such as underwear) can cause some bad rashes with that stuff. As for anti-inflamitorys, I dont know which one is really the best for your body, but my doctor told me to take 2 neproxin (aleve is the commerical name) with a full 8 ounces of water 2 times a day for my sprain. It really helped the swelling. I've given up advil for this stuff. Its great.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast