Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 1:27pm

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    And thats what WC guys do on the ground. They flail.
    ok. Fair point. Here's a follow-up question: Is the flailing due to WC or because the standup fighters don't know how to deal with the ground? In other words, should the criticism be directed at WC or standup fighters in general who don't know how to deal with the ground?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 1:33pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by amichaell
    ok. Fair point. Here's a follow-up question: Is the flailing due to WC or because the standup fighters don't know how to deal with the ground? In other words, should the criticism be directed at WC or standup fighters in general who don't know how to deal with the ground?
    I think it has to do with dealing with the adreanline dump. The first time I got taken down and choked I started to flip out, I just started grabbing at arms and twisting and sunk the choke in deeper. Now, I dont really care if i'm getting choked, I just keep focusing on what I need to do to get position. Of course that usually requires getting out of the choke. But staying calm is the biggest part of it. I think anytime you get put outside of your element you will have problems dealing with the adrealine dump. This is why you need to spar in all ranges of combat, even if you dont really plan to fight there. Focus on doing what you need to do to get to where you want to fight, and focus on it in a full contact enviorment. That way you wont flip out and flail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:03pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It because standup flail, WC get the hard time because of all the talk about fighting at all ranges.
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/26/2006 2:22pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A correct answer depends on whether or not you can demonstrate WC on the ground and flailing wasn't already flailing when standing up.

:smile:

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always pull guard against 5 or 6 drunken bikers.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:22pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkpaladin
    I always pull guard against 5 or 6 drunken bikers.
    Yeah, I heard drunken bikers dig that kind of stuff!

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:27pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um... I've never once wrestled with a _ing _unner. So, thanks?

Not that I'm great. I suck at takedowns, unless you are talking about being taken down. I'm great at that. I always can get myself into the guard.

And if you've noticed, I'm not really sold entirely on "Size more important in grappling", so thank you for those of you who are actually adding to the conversation, instead of acting like those whose brains have obviously leaked out of their protracted anuses. Size *IS* important everywhere. As a 150 lbs. noodle, I can attest to that.

"...you win everytime." MrMcFu, I think it's safe to say that nothing will let you win everytime. Maybe the original poster is a little more right than I previously thought. Some of you BJJ guys really do think that you are invincible. Some of you act as though someone could always shrug off a punch, but they can never escape your Ippon of Certain Doom! The fact is, NOTHING is 100%, all things can and will fail, and getting a little lucky often becomes a huge factor in fighting. Quit acting like your **** doesn't stink, because it surely doesn't smell like champagne.

And PSB, every school I've ever been to has put the smaller guys vs. the bigger guys. That's standard practice everywhere I know of. It might not be live training, but for drills/sparring/everything else, but it is standard. (And Osiris, we don't have belts.) ;)

Dagon :pottytrai

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is only an Ippon after it done.

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    "...you win everytime." MrMcFu, I think it's safe to say that nothing will let you win everytime. Maybe the original poster is a little more right than I previously thought. Some of you BJJ guys really do think that you are invincible. Some of you act as though someone could always shrug off a punch, but they can never escape your Ippon of Certain Doom! The fact is, NOTHING is 100%, all things can and will fail, and getting a little lucky often becomes a huge factor in fighting.
    Let's be generous and assume that you throw a punch to the jaw with 50% of your bodyweight behind it (or the weight of 50% of your arm if you do wing chun) and it accelerates for the length of your arm. When you throw someone, they land with 100% of their own bodyweight (more if you drop onto them) and accelerate from at the very least waist hieght to the ground. It's superior energy. This doesn't even account for the fact most ground surfaces are harder than your fist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Let's be generous and assume that you throw a punch to the jaw with 50% of your bodyweight behind it (or the weight of 50% of your arm if you do wing chun) and it accelerates for the length of your arm. When you throw someone, they land with 100% of their own bodyweight (more if you drop onto them) and accelerate from at the very least waist hieght to the ground. It's superior energy. This doesn't even account for the fact most ground surfaces are harder than your fist.
    Don't forget to add their momentum but be fair it is alot easier to land a punch then to get a good throw. One tool does not do all.
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast