Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 7:51am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have real trouble grappling with someone over 200 pounds. I am abotu 178 and when I roll with guys in my judo class who are over 200 (My normal partner is 205) they are able to squeeze the air out of me with their arms or lay on my chest and keep me from breathing when I pull guard. I find that I have to be twice as aggressive and much less defensive to stay in the game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 8:13am

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Erm, the whole idea of training in grappling is so that you DO have the skills.
    Yes it is , and it works but Dagon may not see this because a lack of skills need.
    The less trained the grappler the more Wt matters.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 8:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Size and strenght does matter in ALL aspects of fighting but the who idea of training is to minimize that advantage. I am 220lbs my BJJ instructors are 145lbs and 175lbs. I tap the guys who are 250+ easier than I do them. I've watched the Jon (145lbs) take apart a guy with a hundred pounds on him.

In striking the bigger guy has more of the advantage becuase a little guy could be fast but it takes few hits form the bigger guy to take the smaller guy down. The bigger guy can absorb more punishment than the little guy. Great example to look at is Hoost vs Sapp. Hoost is by far more skilled than Sapp and was pummeling him the whole match. Sapp gassed, as usual, but STILL WON. Why? Because Sapp still used his size to bull Hoost around and it took few hits form Sapp to bring a end to the fight than it took Hoost.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:09am

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris stated the following.
    I wouldn't dream of outstriking a 200lb or 300lb monster. One or two blows and I'd be on my ass.
    I am going to go slightly against the grain here. There are times when striking arts can be better suited for self defense situations than more grappling focus arts. Yes, it is in the often debated multiple attacker scenario.

If I am a 300 lb monster and I am against two 180 lb guys, it'd probably be safer for me to knock the two guys out than it would be for me to execute a series of takedowns or to take it to the ground. In this respect, a striking art may come in more handy. The same could apply if you happen to be an elite boxer with knockout power.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:15am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i tend to agree firebrand the point is being missed/stretched here... you do what is most appropriate to the situation... sometimes that is strike sometimes throw sometimes grapple or a mix of these... just depends

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, it would be nice if there was some kind of skill set in between arm's length and lying on the ground.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand
    Osiris stated the following.

I am going to go slightly against the grain here. There are times when striking arts can be better suited for self defense situations than more grappling focus arts. Yes, it is in the often debated multiple attacker scenario.

If I am a 300 lb monster and I am against two 180 lb guys, it'd probably be safer for me to knock the two guys out than it would be for me to execute a series of takedowns or to take it to the ground. In this respect, a striking art may come in more handy. The same could apply if you happen to be an elite boxer with knockout power.
    You're not completely going against the grain your doing what many of us advocate but have to :beatdead: on many issues.

Grappling isn't going to be best option for every situation but the idea it to train to be well rounded.

The thing is in a multi situation it is highly likely that there will be some grappling going on. So its better to be prepared than to rely on one aspect. As for one vs two you can actually grapple two pple. I do it often in class and I've even witnessed it in a fight in a club where a guy shoot in and took down another guy mounted and pounded, he flung the other guy that was standing around as well and it took several bouncers to eventually subdue that ONE guy. I don't recommend it but its possible.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Man, it would be nice if there was some kind of skill set in between arm's length and lying on the ground.
    There are MT knees and elbow and in jjj there are stand up grappling moves.

The MT paradox the best place to fight a boxer is too close to punch.
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/26/2006 9:58am at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:53am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, all this time I have been teleporting from my feet to the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    Man, all this time I have been teleporting from my feet to the ground.
    How you do that? For me the throw or takedown is key
    if I can control that I am good but if I loss control there it is hard for me to get back on game.
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/26/2006 10:57am at .
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast