Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 10:07pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dagon Akujin stated:
    Some arts DO practice dealing with multiple attackers. Stop acting like if BJJ doesn't practice it, then nobody does, or that BJJ is the only thing that could save your life. Isn't Bullshido supposed to flame anyone who's saying they have the only answer?
    You really need to read carefully before you respond. No where did I make the claim that BJJ has all the answers.

That said, once you are talking about more than two determined attackers, unless you are substantially bigger, faster, or substantially all around better than the people you are fighting, no martial art is really going to be that effective. Especially if there is a strong wrestler in that crew.

Well, there is as they say sprint-fu. But that would only work if the people you fight don't have someone faster.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 1:30am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me refresh the things I said in these posts. Even most of you BJJ people may find me at least somewhat agreeable:

#1: The assertations of the original poster were foolish because any competant BJJ fighter would have ended that confrontation quickly. A good BJJ fighter would not, in that instance/setting, have been getting kicked in the head.

#2: I think, kinda, that size matters more in grappling range than striking range. I said as my main point in this that when you are a good striker, and are pummeling a bigger guy, he normally then tries to grapple.

#3: Then I posted a compilation video and said BJJ would have worked for the people in it.

#4: Then Lucky Seven and Meager offered some points, and I stated mine, and then said that I don't think there is any obvious answer on where size is harder to deal with. I think it's during grappling though.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then a bunch of straw-man assertions were thrown out. Let me clarify:

#1: I never said that grappling didn't work on the street.

#2: I never said that striking was the super deadly.

#3: I never said I could beat up Tank, and certainly not that it'd be easy.

#4: I certainly never said that I could take on two Tanks at once. :wrestlerb :f-off: :wrestlerb

And Firebrand: "...BJJ could save your life. Don't know too many standup arts that can do that." --- Maybe I'm reading that with a little different intent than you meant to put in it.

"That said, once you are talking about more than two determined attackers, unless you are substantially bigger, faster, luckier, or substantially all around better than the people you are fighting, no martial art is really going to be that effective. Especially if there is a strong wrestler in that crew."--- Now that I totally agree with. But it doesn't mean that you shouldn't train for it or be ready for the idea.

Dagon Akujin

P.S. And Osiris, just because I do ?ing ?un doesn't mean that I don't roll every once and a while.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #2: I think, kinda, that size matters more in grappling range than striking range. I said as my main point in this that when you are a good striker, and are pummeling a bigger guy, he normally then tries to grapple.
    You don't actually know how to grapple.

P.S. And Osiris, just because I do ?ing ?un doesn't mean that I don't roll every once and a while.
    Yes, it does. You see, "rolling" is something done by two grapplers with at least moderate skill.

I'm not sure what two WCers crappling around is called, because I can't figure out how to turn the word "retard" into a verb.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    This is just false. Royce vs. pretty much anyone shows that you can outrgrapple people who you have not the remotest hope of knocking out. In many BJJ places it's common to pair the biggest newbies up with 150lb blue belts for comedy value, what striking art does the same?

Grabbing people who are hitting in you is something everyone does, it's not limited to big guys vs. little guys. Even if it did reflect a belief on the larger man's part that grappling was safer for him, it doesn't mean he's right.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    I'm not sure what two WCers crappling around is called, because I can't figure out how to turn the word "retard" into a verb.
    I love you.

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    You can punch someone in the jaw as hard as you want and there is always a chance they will just shrug it off, depending on the strength of their chin. However, if you Ippon someone on their head, on a reasonably hard surface, or cut off their air supply, you win everytime.

Can you just, for one second, imagine double legging someone who does not know how to fall on a hard surface?

Oh wait, nevermind it's in the second form.

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 6:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    And thats what WC guys do on the ground. They flail.
    I thought that was simply applying universal WC principles horizontally.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 7:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol.

Re size. Size differences make a huge difference whether it's ground otr stand-up IMO. But so does skill and conditioning. I'm a lightweight, not very toned (currently) and nothing to write home about in terms of skill. BUT, I have grappled less skilled people much bigger than me and dominated them. Logically, in order to minimize the impact of size difference in the outcome of a fight, learn good grappling. Learn good striking too.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 7:35am

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When the person is standing their Wt. and momentum is to they advantage but when one throws them, the advantage is taken .

Dagon is right about Wt be a bigger advantage in grappling when the person lack the skills to take advantage . Without the skills to take the advantage grappling is the last thing you want to do.
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/26/2006 7:49am at .

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 7:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What?

"A person is at an advantage until they are thrown, then the advantage is gone. With WT and stuff . . .."
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 ... LastLast