Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Now, lets talk about actual self defense. Ground fighting can be effective there too. First of all, not every attacker wants to kill you, or even has the means to do so. The drunk guy at your party is probably NOT hiding an AK in his pants. But, lets say you're out in public. We can start with the club. THATS when ground fighting fails you. You're ALREADY surrounded and probably need to haul ass regardless of what style you do. However, lets say its a less intimidating scenario. You're in the local Publix and a fight breaks out. Really now, what are the odds that a dozen hardcore crips are gonna jump you in the grocery store? Its not gonna happen. You can take the guy down, beat his ass, and you'll probably only have to worry about the cops. If you've ever had your ass beat, did your friends teleport in to save you? Mine didn't. So why would my opponents?
    Testify! Why in these theoretical situations is it always the block war to end all block wars with five hundred snarling, armed people ready to stamp on my fingers the second I'm unwise enough to put a hand to the floor?

The last two 'self-defence' situation I was in both involved single, unarmed assailants.

Additionally, I value groundfighting because it allows me to control or immobilise people I don't want to hurt. I know that on 'teh str33t' it's all rabid crackheads who will eat my baby as soon as look at me, but where I live those I've needed to use my mighty skills on include friends, friends of friends and others who I've felt no desire to eye-gouge.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 1/24/2006 5:16pm at .

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 5:13pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the FAQ: "Yes, size still matters on the ground, but not as much as standing up."
    From G8: "At a minimum, I'd be able to tie up even a very large man in an MMA guard and keep my skull intact until the cavalry arrived. Those skills are vastly more "street" valuable than any kicky/punchy bullshit, which is essentially going to reduce to being stronger, faster or luckier than your opponent."

I think that I disagree somewhat. Someone with better/faster/accurate strikes typically can frustrate a larger opponent in striking. The larger opponent (from my limited experience) will then typically push in/tackle/grapple/grab. I see size as mattering more in this range. You can outmuscle an arm-bar, mount, or hold. You can't outmuscle an evasion, dodge, or jab.

Dagon... my 3 cents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 10:16pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "And 99% of the time you won't be attacked by one person"

That is not true, of assaults 70% have just 2 people listed.
    Of the 30% left the intervention was minor in 32% of the cases.{SJDP}

Don't look for help.
    75% a and or d.
    The sample is not unbiased .
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/24/2006 10:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 11:34pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetOnly
    BJJ does not work against multiple attackers! And 99% of the time, you won't be attacked by ONE person.
    Hey guess what n00b...the only effective self defense against multiple attackers, is the art of "RUNNING"...

I don't think the "Multiple Attackers" horse is quite dead yet, keep beating on it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 12:52am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear machine guns work too. Given the correct range, of course.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:29am

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a little BJJ may have helped in some of these fights (NSFW):

http://www.shooshtime.com/clips/video.php?id=7334

(NSFW)

Bitch better recognize!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:53am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    From the FAQ: "Yes, size still matters on the ground, but not as much as standing up."
    From G8: "At a minimum, I'd be able to tie up even a very large man in an MMA guard and keep my skull intact until the cavalry arrived. Those skills are vastly more "street" valuable than any kicky/punchy bullshit, which is essentially going to reduce to being stronger, faster or luckier than your opponent."

I think that I disagree somewhat. Someone with better/faster/accurate strikes typically can frustrate a larger opponent in striking. The larger opponent (from my limited experience) will then typically push in/tackle/grapple/grab. I see size as mattering more in this range. You can outmuscle an arm-bar, mount, or hold. You can't outmuscle an evasion, dodge, or jab.

Dagon... my 3 cents.
    UFC 1-4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 7:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bigger oponent even untrained can punch hard, can be a tough ************ and take the blows, can make it very hard for you to get in striking range without fearing his arms/legsbeeing big he has more range remember that striking, better or worse is instinctive, but the moment you take him to the ground its another world, you can be the size, strenght you want, you WILL pass out to a well aplied choke, your arm will break as easy as the next guy, and if everything fails you can allways close guard and try neutralising him by holding thight to him, he is bigger chances are he will tire faster then you. :cachas:

my 2 cents, about the guy who started the topic, really read the faq man, its everything there.

HERE it is
    Last edited by Lucky Seven; 1/25/2006 7:08am at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:45am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Thank you.

Its silly to assume a grappler approaches a real fight just like a match. Hell even in a match they try to end it as quickly as possible but pitting two trained fighters against each other thats not likely to happen.
    For a differing perspective, the BJJer I train with is pretty critical of people who train for nothing but competitive grappling with the belief that the activity will transfer to self-defense without assistance. He's a big believer in training with different objectives so that he has the skills he needs, and in pointing out openings for non-sport techniques in his game.

The assumption that grapplers can magically alter their game to one appropriate to the environment without ever training for it seems to be mainly rooted in the fact that most other arts are even more awful at this sort of thing because of their lack of live sparring.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:48am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Sammy?

Everytime I heard the "groundfighting isn't for da street" I immediately translate it to "I don't know dick about groundfighting and I'm too much of a ***** to learn."

LOL :eusa_clap
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast