Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:15pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the person was acted on only by gravity it will not be a hard fall.That not the case with a throw .

But that does not matter because there will be times a fast right hand is going to be the right answer and times when slaming them into the floor will be the right answer .
    Last edited by rexkwon; 1/26/2006 9:25pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NERDS!!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:04am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    As for UFC 1-4, we all know that the reason grappling showcased so well was because most of the guys in there did absolutely no training against it. Now that everyone trains in it a little, they've had to add weight classes as size has become a much larger advantage. Then again though, boxing has had weight classes for eons too.
    If by "everybody" you mean "everyone who fights MMA" then we agree. If you actually mean "everybody" well, I don't know how to tell you this, but very few peope train at all much less ground fighting.

Pretty much every grappling competition in the world has an open weight division. I don't know of any striking competitions that do, and if they exist they are few and far between. There is a reason for that.

As others have mentioned, rolling "every once in awhile" is not going to give you the technical ability to defeat a much larger and stronger opponent on the ground. Just like sparring every once in a while isn't going to let you out strike a larger, stronger opponent.

Today I rolled with this guy who's about 6' 240 lbs., all muscle. I'm 6' 3" 205, and a hell of alot weaker. In five minutes I tapped him twice and he tapped me once. I also caught him in armbar but didn't have a chance to extend it as the round ended. So 2, almost three to 1 on a guy with 35 lbs. of pure muscle on me. I also had mount and side control on him quite a bit, and he never had full mount or side on me. He's been training about 6 months, I've been training a year. I'm not about to throw down with the dude (he trained San Shou for a few years) but I can handle him on the ground pretty well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calling bullshido on astrophysics professors.

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:36am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    Eyebeams,
    I see your point but also acknowledge that defending yourself against multiple determined attackers in a live situation is not high % whatever you do - there are even well documented examples of well trained people attempting to use a gun to defend against a crowd and paying with their lives (The two British plain clothes soldiers who turned up at the IRA wedding and were mobbed, case in point).

Pressure tests of things like multiple attackers are good for reinforcing this unfortunate home truth.
    I would never argue that you can ever be confident ofdefending yourself against multiple attackers -- but that isn't a reason not to train. It's just a reason not to get cocky.

Nothin I'm saying should be construed as diminishing the importance of learning to grapple either, because that would just be dumb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:42am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Aesop... you mf'ers may know something, but it ain't physics... which is more "forceful" well i guess each could be equally powerful depending on the circumstances, however focussing or concentrating that force into a smaller area would help in the application of both a punch and a throw... just hit em hard then throw em hard... if they get up then consider whether its worth hanging around this now pissed off tough muther...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, you're dumb and i'm smart.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Prove it... oh well i guess it to late for you to do that...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, mommy says it's bed time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 1:27am