228371 Bullies, 4286 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 91 to 100 of 153
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Dagon Akujin is offline
    Dagon Akujin's Avatar

    "I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)
    Posts
    1,842

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:05pm


     Style: Ving Tsun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Let's be generous and assume that you throw a punch to the jaw with 50% of your bodyweight behind it (or the weight of 50% of your arm if you do wing chun) and it accelerates for the length of your arm. When you throw someone, they land with 100% of their own bodyweight (more if you drop onto them) and accelerate from at the very least waist hieght to the ground. It's superior energy. This doesn't even account for the fact most ground surfaces are harder than your fist.
    Gravity is not faster than a punch, nor does it accelerate faster.

    A punch hits a smaller area than a floor does, and therefore concentrates the strike better.

    And you typically don't throw someone onto their throat. I wouldn't waste myself by punching someone's back or shoulder (although I do know a really bad-ass shoulder punch that I show girls for when a guy wants her to hit him. Wouldn't use it in a real situation though).

    Either way, that's a rather bad argument for why BJJ is always effective Dread. There are plenty of reasons that a throw/JJ is effective though. :love1: He he he. But I'm glad that you think you are invincible. Note that in my statement above, I never made any assumption as to punches > throws. In fact, I'd much rather land one throw than 1 punch. All I'm saying is that nothing, NOTHING is 100%. It amazes me that you have a hard time accepting that one simple truth.

    Dagon :5badair:
    Last edited by Dagon Akujin; 1/26/2006 3:08pm at .
  2. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,608

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:17pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexkwon
    Don't forget to add their momentum but be fair it is alot easier to land a punch then to get a good throw. One tool does not do all.
    I was assuming proper execution in both cases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Gravity is not faster than a punch, nor does it accelerate faster.
    Gravity acts at lightspeed but that is irrelevant. As for acceleration, do you have proof to show that punches accelerate faster than 9.8m/s^2 on average?

    A punch hits a smaller area than a floor does, and therefore concentrates the strike better.
    I've seen more broken ribs from throws than punches. The ribcage is designed to absorb spread-out impact so you can draw your own conclusions.

    And you typically don't throw someone onto their throat.
    You won't typically punch them there either.

    All I'm saying is that nothing, NOTHING is 100%. It amazes me that you have a hard time accepting that one simple truth.
    You're confused; people are not addressing this statement because it is possibly the most general statement you can make.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/26/2006 3:25pm at .
  3. Dagon Akujin is offline
    Dagon Akujin's Avatar

    "I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)
    Posts
    1,842

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 3:56pm


     Style: Ving Tsun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Gravity acts at lightspeed but that is irrelevant. As for acceleration, do you have proof to show that punches accelerate faster than 9.8m/s^2 on average?
    Um... gravity reacts on something at the speed of light. Thanks for having no clue what that means. I'm sure every sky-diver is teleported right into the ground at lightspeed. Here we go though to prove that the acceleration of a punch is faster than gravity. (9.8m/s/s)*0=0. And (9.8m/s/s)*0.3=not as fast as a jab that is landing right then. I think I needed to clarify my above statement though. I was clearly talking about the reaction of gravity on someone being thrown in a fight. But hey, you address that here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You're confused; people are not addressing this statement because it is possibly the most general statement you can make.
    So instead you are addressing the statement but bringing up points I've never made? That's nice. I'll have to remember in the future that you never argue the actual points being made, and that the only way to have any sort of conversation with you is to start off by saying "BJJ is the only thing that works and always works 100% of the time and I know that because I have all this semen just dripping from my ass and I want to make my semen drip out of your ass too."

    My god, quit trolling.

    Dagon
  4. MaverickZ is offline

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,928

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 4:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Gravity acts at lightspeed but that is irrelevant. As for acceleration, do you have proof to show that punches accelerate faster than 9.8m/s^2 on average?
    :eng101:
  5. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,608

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 5:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    Um... gravity reacts on something at the speed of light. Thanks for having no clue what that means. I'm sure every sky-diver is teleported right into the ground at lightspeed.
    If a star implodes planets will maintain their previous orbits until the gravitational force reaches them. If the sun were to disappear the earth would continue rotating around the former centre of gravity for seven minutes.

    Idiot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin
    "BJJ is the only thing that works and always works 100% of the time and I know that because I have all this semen just dripping from my ass and I want to make my semen drip out of your ass too."

    My god, quit trolling.
    The Emperor smiles at this juxstaposition, but it is a smile of contempt.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/26/2006 5:31pm at .
  6. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 5:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    If the sun were to disappear the earth would continue rotating around the former centre of gravity for seven minutes.

    Idiot.

    If gravity were a propagating force in a fashion similar to a wave (i.e. like light), a relatively simple test would show it moving at a speed at least 20 times the speed of light.

    More sophisticated measurements would show it propagating at greater than 2 times 10 to the 10th power faster than the speed of light.


    If the sun were to disappear, the earth would, for all intents and purposes, instantaneously track in a tangent off its orbit.

    The photons of light from the last moment of the sun's existence would reach the distance where the earth was 8.1 to 8.4 minutes later, depending on the season. It would take another 2 or so seconds to reach the earth's new position.

    Layman.

    :smile:
  7. MaverickZ is offline

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,928

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 6:01pm

    supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    If a star implodes planets will maintain their previous orbits until the gravitational force reaches them. If the sun were to disappear the earth would continue rotating around the former centre of gravity for seven minutes.

    Idiot.


    The Emperor smiles at this juxstaposition, but it is a smile of contempt.
    gravitons!
    http://www.earthsky.com/shows/listen...?date=20020203
    Last edited by MaverickZ; 1/26/2006 6:05pm at .
  8. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 6:09pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom, you are wrong.
    NO information can travel faster than the speed of light.
    This is one of the paradoxes that led Einstein to think about the curvature of space.
    In reality the disappearance of the sun would cause a ripple in the fabric of space that would start travelling at the speed of light and only AFTER it reached the earth it (the earth) would change its trajectory.

    Reading: Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...books&v=glance

    Tomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    If gravity were a propagating force in a fashion similar to a wave (i.e. like light), a relatively simple test would show it moving at a speed at least 20 times the speed of light.

    More sophisticated measurements would show it propagating at greater than 2 times 10 to the 10th power faster than the speed of light.


    If the sun were to disappear, the earth would, for all intents and purposes, instantaneously track in a tangent off its orbit.

    The photons of light from the last moment of the sun's existence would reach the distance where the earth was 8.1 to 8.4 minutes later, depending on the season. It would take another 2 or so seconds to reach the earth's new position.

    Layman.

    :smile:
    Current stage of death: denial
  9. MaverickZ is offline

    Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,928

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 6:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Tom, you are wrong.
    NO information can travel faster than the speed of light.
    This is one of the paradoxes that led Einstein to think about the curvature of space.
    In reality the disappearance of the sun would cause a ripple in the fabric of space that would start travelling at the speed of light and only AFTER it reached the earth it (the earth) would change its trajectory.

    Reading: Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...books&v=glance

    Tomas
    quantum ippon
  10. Locu5 is offline
    Locu5's Avatar

    Zombie Herald

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,786

    Posted On:
    1/26/2006 6:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhhh, what about the twin-photon experiment?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.