Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 10:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Counter-Kimura

This is a simple, and incredibly useful way to submit an opponent who is trying to submit you with a kimura from the bottom of half-guard.

To set the stage: Your opponent has a kimura set up :ohyeah:

Grab your leg, and start to get your kimuraed shoulder towards the ground to stop the lock from being cranked. Reach your other arm through, and grab your kimuraed arm's hand in a monkey grip (thumbs pointing in opposing directions). Try and get your kimuraed shoulder to the ground, and pull up with your other arm.

If done right, your opponent should be (verbally) tapping in short order.

Enjoy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 10:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a great escape if you can get it soon enough (you've probably lost it if your arm can't reach your leg to defend). Most people will be able to struggle out of the submission but it's still a possible and poses a threat.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 11:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a little trick for the guy on bottom:

I actually go for kimuras from underneath half guard, but for a different reason than getting the sub: I do a sweep/roll from there.

Basically, kimura whichever arm you can reach (this must be tight, because the sweep has a lot of risk inherent to it), then drop your half guard and spin around to basically put yourself in north south. You spin in the opposite direction of whichever arm you have the kimura on: if you have the left arm, spin clockwise. Right arm, go counterclockwise. YOUR OPPONENT MUST BE BROKEN DOWN FOR THIS TECHNIQUE TO WORK.

Then, once you've arrived in this north/south position, immediately roll to whichever side you have the kimura slapped on. You can sit up and finish from here, or just take north/south and go from there.

Warning: This is not the best technique in the world, but I have used it for about a year with a lot of success when nothing else is working, and have put plenty of blues/purples in north south with this sweep. There are, however, counters for it, and I have been taught them.

The "tricks" to this tech:

1.) The technique is totally unexpected. Who puts himself in north south from half guard?

2.) You must spin as fast as you can. A fast spin does not allow time for the opponent to react.

3.) If you don't have the opponent's base broken down with the kimura, do not attempt this technique. If he somehow manages to sit up and get a wide base, you are fucked, as you have just put yourself into a bad spot.

As far as I can recall, I have never been countered when using this technique, but it is really not the best jiu-jitsu in the world, and I only resort to using it when I just can't get anything else from half guard to work. So use it at your own risk you jackals.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/23/2006 11:48pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    I've got an idea, and forgive me if I sound condescending here. Let me play egrapple with you. Consider it a chess match if you will. You go for this move I shoot for the near side extended armbar with your defensive arm, what's your next move? (Going for the armbar when you reach through)
    I am not sure I get what you are talking about. I could just be asking an incredibly ignorant question here, but how does one go for an armbar when you are on the underside in half guard and have both your hands wrapped up trying to kimura someone?

Edit: Maybe some pictures would help?
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/24/2006 2:58am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 6:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never actually had anyone go for an inverted armbar on me from here, so I'm honestly unsure as to how I'd react.

Before I attempt to counter your e-grappling (I like the idea, btw.), one question:

Have I caught hold of my leg before you've let go of the kimura and gone after the defensive arm?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 9:00am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    omega, are you doing the kimura on the arm on the side of the trapped leg or the far one?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 9:06am

Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure it has to be the far side, but I just wanted to ask to make sure everyone was on track. So no, I don't think you're coming at this wrong.

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    As he does that I make a gamble and open my gaurd rotating on my stomache and go for an inverted extended arm bar.
    OOHHH! Yes, I was missing the inverted part. Gotcha now.

Edit: I like the idea, by the way.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/24/2006 12:46pm at .

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [noob]I need pictures or diagrams. I can't "see" the inverted armbar setup Omega's talking about.[/noob]
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:45pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer to counter kimura attempts from half guard by escaping and using your opponents grips against him to set up an armbar counter.

If you're trying to visualize what Im talking about, just watch the Hughes St Pierre fight- St Pierre was going for kimuras from bottom half guard every time he was there. Finally, in the closing seconds, Hughes was able to escape from half guard and pull this submission off beautifully.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast