228375 Bullies, 4069 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING THIS USER TENDS TO BE FULL OF ****!

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Blank

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sportfighting..........self-defense?? Kidspatula's videos.

I just saw Kidspatula's boxing videos because she was on the main page.

Its boxing. She did a good job, nice fast jabs. Not professional standard but good enough.

http://d10.yousendit.com/D/1EOQ9B4E0...KatVsAshly.wmv

This thread is not about her, so I don't mean to put her under the spot light. I am just using her videos as an example.

I train MT too, so I know what boxing with gloves on means.

If this is the kind of fighting style you people think can protect you on the streets, or from a weapon attack, you WILL get killed.

You are able to spar full-contact, because the punch punch kick kick skills are simple and not exactly deadly. It's safe, therefore, you can spar full contact with it. But please.....that kind of fighting style is FAR from street effective (i am talking about sport fighting).

For the sports fighters in this board, I really suggest you take up some self-defense classes such as Karate or CMA. The techniques are truely street effective. Althought I do agree that some CMA training in the USA is not street effective (don't want to offend anyone)......since they don't spar (I said USA). But knowing what they are taught to do, and the kind of techniques that are being taught, I doubt anyone can come up with a way to practice full-contact within the US limitations. Anyone that disagree are either not experienced with traditional MA or studied in a McDojo.

Growing up in the ghettos, I understand what being attacked truely means. Attacked by multiple attackers (racial hate crimes, they never attack by themselves. They pick their time/place/victim), the only way to win is to run, and the LAST place to be is on the ground. I've been approached by weapons (broken glass bottles, 2 by 4s, wooden sticks). I can honestly tell you, that sports fighting is a good way to train, but the techniques are not sufficient. Any street fighter can punch, its not that hard to grow a punch, and people expect that. Any street fighter can do a MT knee kick, even my non-MA friends can kick. Its not exactly hard.

Karate or CMA have great techniques that is far beyond punch punch kick kick. You'll be amazed what some people can do.

I've seen how people train in asia. Let me tell you, some MA schools in the US are really watered down. Insurance limitations, legal limitations. With the techniques that they know, you should see how Japanese police and Chinese army trains. Just like how MT fighters in Thailand trains differently than sportfighters in the US trains, they take their art very seriously.

What I wanted to say is:

1) Sports fighting techniques will not prepare you for the streets, just like the video I've posted above. Those that disagree with me are sports fans that have never experienced real street violence.

2) Some Karate and CMA are watered down in the US. Most people in the west is not lucky enough to experience real martial arts training. This is why I say people that talk a lot of **** are the ones with the least amount of experience. Both in training and in real life experience. Bullshido.com.

3) Karate and CMA have better techniques, and is truely street effective, only if you train seriously. And unless you train seriously, its nothing but dancing. I've seen a lot of Americans embarrass themselves, and the art they train, by doing it so poorly that it makes asians laugh.

4) I've picked the "Drama" icon for this thread. Watch it go to 5 pages by tomorrow.
    Last edited by SammyKing; 1/23/2006 7:23pm at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:30pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He makes some reasonable points. The idea of learning grappling (not ground fighting) for Self Defense is to avoid going to the ground and if you do, to be able to recover and get back to your feet as fast as possible.

I don't think anyone with a non-downs IQ would advocate trying to groundfight through multiple opponents. Either you're missing this, or you've created a nice little strawman.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:33pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sammy - can you please fill out your style field appropriately?

I'd like to know what you train in.

thanks

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyKing
    Just like how MT fighters in Thailand trains differently than sportfighters in the US trains, they take their art very seriously.
    are you saying that competetive US fighters take their art seriously? Like amateur/pro boxers/MMA competitors?

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    Sammy - can you please fill out your style field appropriately?

I'd like to know what you train in.

thanks
    No I refuse to fill it out.

I refuse to be viewed as a style instead of an individual.

There are no better styles. Only better techniques, better training methods, and better physical conditions, making better fighters.

I refused to be labled with a style.

I am not a JKD student, but I believe in the idea of JKD and MMA.

A lot of people lable themselves as a style, and is viewed as nothing more than that style.

"You are TKD, therefore, you are such and such."

In a fight, styles does not matter.

Anyone can kick, punch, knee, poke, choke. Even a non-MA can do it, difference is, MAs do it better. It is how you train that defines you.
    Last edited by SammyKing; 1/23/2006 7:42pm at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's not ok

as i understand it, the style field exists so that people like me can figure out if people like you are talking from experience or theory.

all i want to know is what you've trained in

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you saying that competetive US fighters take their art seriously? Like amateur/pro boxers/MMA competitors?
    Of couse they do. But how many UFC competitiors can you list? How many people actually called themselves "martial artists" in the US that actually trains the way UFC fighters train??

But in Thailand, if you call yourself a MT fighter, you train like one.

In China, you call yourself a CMA, you train like one.
    Last edited by SammyKing; 1/23/2006 7:50pm at .

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's not ok

as i understand it, the style field exists so that people like me can figure out if people like you are talking from experience or theory.
    So what kind of "style" is talking from "experience or theory"?

Is boxing an experience art? Or a theory art?

Is MT an experience art? Or a theory art?

Is WC an experience art? Or a theroy art?

See what I am talking about? People define who you are by your style, but that is impossible. Even people in the same boxing gym can have different experience and theory. It is who you are and how you train that defines you, not your style.

So can give me a list of what style is "experience style", and what style is "theory style"?

Anything is a "theory" if you just talk about it and not train it. MT, BJJ, WC, etc.

See what I mean?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty sure that I have never seen anyone say that the Guard or Groundfighting is the ultimate technique for multiple attackers.

I am 100% positive that sport martial arts with full contact help people prepare for conflict much better than TMA without full contact. I enjoy both but because many TMA don't usually have sparring during class, it must be sought out by the practicioner and any aliveness must be added to their skills.

I would actually say that a blend of TMA and Sport MA is the perfect blend, like Bluming, Draeger, Barber, guys of that caliber used to do. KK, Judo and Traditional JJ all fit together nicely. I don't see the Muay Thai and BJJ to much different from that mixture so that is a great complement.

This thread and the assumptions that Sammy made are inaccurate and points out his lack of real conflict experience. Being hard goes a lot farther in a fight than knowing fancy traditional moves.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast