224787 Bullies, 3762 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 111
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,074

    Posted On:
    1/24/2006 10:59pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    Perhaps KageKaze, who apparently has the real ninpo, can explain the differences.
    HA! Ph34r th3 r43l N1np0!

    The vast majority of the techniques and kata are the same, minus and plus a Ryu here and there. It bascially comes down to the training methods.

    Basically, the Bujinkan was "let go out in the woods and play around with technique and have a good time.", where the Genbukan is basically "let just train hard and fight." So they appraoch the techniques differently. Genbukan tends to be a lot harder and a LOT more structed. If you meet a 5th Dan in the Genbukan you know he was a X amount of skill. Bujinkan is very relaxed so you get Genbukan-like Dojos and "too deadly to spar" dojos. Unforunately, the latter is more common.
    Last edited by Plasma; 1/24/2006 11:12pm at .
  2. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,074

    Posted On:
    1/24/2006 11:05pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    I've never trained in the Genbukan or Jinenkan, but from what I've seen and heard, it doesn't seem to be that different from the Bujinkan. The kamae/kata/techniques/whatever all look pretty similar, if not identical.
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site...kan_techniques

    From what I can tell, the main difference is that the Genbukan has a syllabus and is much more formal than it's Bujinkan counterpart. It also doesn't seem to place much value in sparring, just like the Bujinkan (note: yes, I am aware that some dojos spar, however they are the vast minority and every xkan shidoshi or shihan I've ever met has said sparring is unnecessary). From the discussion on their message board on the Genbukan and MMA, you get a lot of the classic "too deadly" TMA arguments:
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site...opic_topicID=6

    Just for the record, I never been to a Genbukan Dojo or ex Genbukan Dojo that didn't spar at least once a week. My current Sensei was back with Tanemura Sensei in 80s and early 90s and Tanemura used to spar all the time, which my instructor still does (we have since left the genbukan,so if they are moving to the bujinkan way I am upset). As Tanemura Sensei used to say, "If the training is too hard, go train with the rabbits (Bujinkan)."
  3. QuaiJohnCain is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    14

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 2:38pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Rooster
    You guys are so adverse to Ninjutsu. I started training Bujinkan and the principles they teach are immediately usable and smart. Its more about tactics and positioning instead of striking like a mad man.
    There's no reason to believe YOU, liar.
  4. bullwarrior is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:14pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu wu tao

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Ah ****.

    Who gives a **** about how many scrolls some guy in another country has or what is not recognised or what means what in Japanese ? Its not gonna do anything for anyone. Is it gonna make you a better martial artist ? No way. Forget all that bullshit.

    Bullwarrior just find a good competition art and train in it. As praying mantis said Muay Thai and BJJ are great but keep an eye out for boxing, wrestling, kyokushin (or full contact karate), Judo, san shou. You can't go wrong with those styles.

    well i allready train in sanda or san shou as you call it as part of my style, and my sifu was the first coach of italian national san shou team (i think he wasn' t the last in the line). i am a black belt in my style and my sifu pull us in trying new and different experiences with martial art... and ninpo was something difference.. and charmante as france people say..
  5. bullwarrior is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:31pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu wu tao

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    HA! Ph34r th3 r43l N1np0!

    The vast majority of the techniques and kata are the same, minus and plus a Ryu here and there. It bascially comes down to the training methods.

    Basically, the Bujinkan was "let go out in the woods and play around with technique and have a good time.", where the Genbukan is basically "let just train hard and fight." So they appraoch the techniques differently. Genbukan tends to be a lot harder and a LOT more structed. If you meet a 5th Dan in the Genbukan you know he was a X amount of skill. Bujinkan is very relaxed so you get Genbukan-like Dojos and "too deadly to spar" dojos. Unforunately, the latter is more common.

    thank you, this is a good advice! you , snow cat and hannibal hit the target. i never fear working hard and i need something usefull for my work.. for example i need to practise in the use of the chain (kusary tecniques i think we can call it..) you know if gebunkan sensei teach it?... tomorrow evening i will go to visit the first dojo... than you all want i could talk about my feeling...
  6. Iron Rooster is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    71

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:44pm


     Style: Multiple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    I've never trained in the Genbukan or Jinenkan, but from what I've seen and heard, it doesn't seem to be that different from the Bujinkan. The kamae/kata/techniques/whatever all look pretty similar, if not identical.
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site...kan_techniques

    From what I can tell, the main difference is that the Genbukan has a syllabus and is much more formal than it's Bujinkan counterpart. It also doesn't seem to place much value in sparring, just like the Bujinkan (note: yes, I am aware that some dojos spar, however they are the vast minority and every xkan shidoshi or shihan I've ever met has said sparring is unnecessary). From the discussion on their message board on the Genbukan and MMA, you get a lot of the classic "too deadly" TMA arguments:
    http://www.genbukan.org/cgi-bin/site...opic_topicID=6
    The main difference is that Genbukan and Jinenkan were started by students of Hatsumi. After they broke off and started teaching their own stuff, Hatsumi said they have no connection with Bujinkan and that anyone that studies Genbukan or Jinenkan does not study Bujinkan.
    Also, they left Bujinkan before Hatsumi started teaching many of the styles and techniques that he teaches now. So you don't have all the teachings that Bujinkan has by studying the off shoots.
  7. Odacon is offline
    Odacon's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,627

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 4:16pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcat
    So basically, you are telling someone about something someone told you he once heard about (probably from someone else) 35 years ago which probably never existed?

    Great!
    What are you shite'in on about?
  8. Plasma is online now
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,074

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:19pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullwarrior
    thank you, this is a good advice! you , snow cat and hannibal hit the target. i never fear working hard and i need something usefull for my work.. for example i need to practise in the use of the chain (kusary tecniques i think we can call it..) you know if gebunkan sensei teach it?... tomorrow evening i will go to visit the first dojo... than you all want i could talk about my feeling...
    Both Bujinkan and Genbukan both teach BundoKusari (WeightChain).
  9. thomaspaine is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    191

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 5:25pm


     Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Rooster
    The main difference is that Genbukan and Jinenkan were started by students of Hatsumi.
    I know this and I don't really consider it a difference per se. If you have two japanese jujutsu schools and you say, "well the main difference between the two is that the soke of one school was taught by the soke of another, but everything else is the same", then I would find it hard to say that there's really much of a difference between the two. This was mainly a question towards the Genbukan people who keep implying that there's some radical difference in either the training methodology or techniques which differentiate it from the Bujinkan, and as far as I can tell, the differences are pretty minor. Apparently KageKaze has been lucky and found dojos that actually spar, but from the information presented on their website, it doesn't look like the Genbukan really takes a pro-sparring stance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Rooster
    Also, they left Bujinkan before Hatsumi started teaching many of the styles and techniques that he teaches now. So you don't have all the teachings that Bujinkan has by studying the off shoots.
    Examples...?
  10. Lefty is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    646

    Posted On:
    1/25/2006 6:16pm


     Style: FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DIY Ninja. Here's ninja lesson 1:

    Rent all the ninja movies you can and watch in a nonstop marathon.
    Dress up as a ninja and then walk around on the roof at night time.
    Have a friend stab upwards through your roof with a spear if they hear you.
    If you fall off you must immediately commit seppuku.
    To practice throwing a shuriken throw heavy coins at people - they'll thank you for it later.

    :)
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.