Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    I bet they just have no clue on how to properly breakfall. I can do it with or without the slap. Never broken an arm slapping.
    I surely hope that you are joking about a Judoka not knowing how to breakfall.
    If you are serious, it is obvious that you have no idea about what Judo entails........

Doing ukemi out of a BJJ throw or takedown is nothing compared with the power generated by a good Judoka.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 9:34pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    If you are serious, it is obvious that you have no idea about what Judo entails........

Doing ukemi out of a BJJ throw or takedown is nothing compared with the power generated by a good Judoka.
    I think he meant the people that didn't slap for fear of injury, not judokas.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 7:14am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    What are people's views on the slap vs no slap? Has anyone here had the chance to compare? Is there any evidence that favours slapping? What about lava?
    I've also been looked at funnily for slapping and making noise in Booj training when I started out but don't (usually) do it nowadays.

For random falling over and the like, I don't slap and haven't noticed any worse results than with slaps.
    When getting thrown with a high-amplitude throw, it's judo instinct time and thus slapping (and hey, it you're getting thrown, your stealt is already fubar anyway.). As I seem to be the one who has the least problems taking repeated falls (in our club)from said throws, I'd say that's still the way to go.

Bad credit, just admit you were wrong in your initial assumption and allow yourself to be educated.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 7:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, slaps or no slaps, I just need *better* ukemi period.

I fall like the proverbial lead balloon and it'll bite my ass someday soon if I don't sharpen up.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:53am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Man, slaps or no slaps, I just need *better* ukemi period.

I fall like the proverbial lead balloon and it'll bite my ass someday soon if I don't sharpen up.

Practice ukemi everyday for a year. I'm serious.

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 11:23am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO

I have almost no experience in judo, and am actually interested in finding a class to take one night a week. I was just saying that a proper breakfall should never result in a broken arm, slap or no slap. If your experiences are different, I would like to hear about it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    Practice ukemi everyday for a year. I'm serious.
    Oh, that's underway. But I'm more worried about the short term. I would like to live to get good :icon_lol:

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:26pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Ukemi
    I have almost no experience in judo, and am actually interested in finding a class to take one night a week. I was just saying that a proper breakfall should never result in a broken arm, slap or no slap. If your experiences are different, I would like to hear about it.
    If you get driven to the mat hard enough by an experienced Judoka, there is a lot higher chance that you're going to get something broken. I'm not an authority on Judo by any means, but I have been on the receiving end of enough of their throws to know that a good hard throw can break bones.

Not only that, some throws are harder to breakfall. In my LIMITED experience, for instance, Uchi Mata can result in a fairly awkward fall. One other example from my experience: There are variations of some of the reaps like Osoto Gari and Ouichi Gari where you're driving your opponent's head into the ground. Breakfalling from that is not easy.

Judo is ROUGH. Bones break sometimes, regardless of how good you are at breakfalling.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:42pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    My judo and aikido instructors have said not to slap on the street. They said you would cause more damage to your arm then you gain by slapping to save your body. Its more important to curve your body so you roll a little and dont just hit flat. I slap, its a habbit, I can't help it. I even slap on foward rolls sometimes.
    Errr..... why would you slap on the floor on the st33rt? FictionPimp, you got it all wrong, you should not be the one who is slapping... it is your opponent. Now that we got it correct, it does not matter if you slap or not, it will still be painful when one is being forcefully thrown on the concrete/asphalt/dirt walkway.

Yours truly,
    Grab My Wrist
    Last edited by GRAB MY WRIST; 3/22/2006 10:46pm at .

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    3/22/2006 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you land on something and slap like a curb, you could break an arm. And you could land in lava.
    When you get good enough to not need to slap, then you have good ukemi. I mean not slapping after hard throws.
    I don't slap 99% of time because I don't need to. My body knows how to fall and what angles so I don't have to slap and can work on my ground escape that second faster.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast