Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The slap is important in Judo because the force generated can be horrible. There are Judoka that can knock people out with throws on mats, that is one reason why there needs to be a slap.
    1st hand exp

I think that people over emphasize the slap though, if your ukemi is good, you'll slap naturally from the force of the throw.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My slaps result in a bruise the shape of a mushroom... and I'm not using my arms!
    :eusa_shhh
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 3:00am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Elvis
    My slaps result in a bruise the shape of a mushroom... and I'm not using my arms!
    :eusa_shhh
    That, dear man, is a stamp and not a slap.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 4:58am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    The slap is important in Judo because the force generated can be horrible. There are Judoka that can knock people out with throws on mats, that is one reason why there needs to be a slap.
    1st hand exp

I think that people over emphasize the slap though, if your ukemi is good, you'll slap naturally from the force of the throw.
    A winner is you!

Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    On Season 1 (Maybe 2) of MTV's Tough Enough reality show that was a tryout for WWE, HHH discussed hitting the ground to make more of an impact with the crowd.

I believe the sport JJ and Judo guys do it to be more noticed during demo's and it just carries over into competition. I screwed up what I was saying.
    And a loser is you..
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, im getting thrown but let me slap the ground and make a huge noise so the judges are impressed by the noise and give my oponent ippon.....

C'mon...it has nothing to do with "impressing" and if the pro wrestling guys do it its because they are smart, I mean yeah thats fake and whatever but they have some bad falls from those wierd techniques, they have to be experts in breakfalling otherwise they would be a plane wreck, notice how they allways arive the floor in the same 3 or 4 positions, and execute the proper breakfall in each, with the slap included.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slapping hurts the arm? That's fucked up! I've hurt my wrist a few times, but only because I was just learning how to breakfall and I sucked at it. I can get thrown for hours and not be bothered by it (on my good side; on my bad side, well not so much).

If you slap properly (I hate using that word), the force of the fall will dissipate through the shoulder and the forearm. It doesn't go straight to one part of the arm, which would cause a break. It's adding a counter force to the fall and spreading the force around so that the core doesn't take all the impact and knock the wind out of you. Breakfalling on concrete is gonna hurt, but not as much as not breakfalling on concrete.

As for the guy who said he just tries to pull the thrower down with him, thats gona suck when he comes crashing down straight on top of you.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 4:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    As for the guy who said he just tries to pull the thrower down with him, thats gona suck when he comes crashing down straight on top of you.
    You have a point. If there's an earth shattering impact, yeah slap. Otherwise I like to have my limbs working to control things so I don't end up in a bad position when I hit the ground.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 8:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When someone tries to pull you down with them you can sometimes put knees into them and let thier pulling add to the force.

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 5:43pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    since when does slapping the mat ever hurt anybody's arm?

if we are talking about injury, then can you tell of one person that has broken their arm slapping the mat?

and if we aren't talking about injury, then what kind of babies are you?????

I get thrown hard all the time, and I slap and somehow Judoka for over 100 years have been slapping out of breakfalls and yet we don't break our arms.... how can this be? Do we have secret zen and ki techniques where we will our arms not to break?

Do it or don't do it... I really don't care, but don't tell me you're not slapping because you're afraid to hurt your little arm. That's just pathetic.
    I bet they just have no clue on how to properly breakfall. I can do it with or without the slap. Never broken an arm slapping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/21/2006 7:56pm

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my scaphoid (funny little wrist bone) by drunkenly falling and trying to catch myself, but taking it all on one wrist. After that had healed I learned to breakfall, many more drunken fallings-over but no more injuries, as I slap instinctively now.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast