Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    The slap also makes a loud noise, which I'm guessing in Judo or sport JJ is meant to impress the judges. Also, watch pro wrasslin' sometime, when they do a backfall or something similar, they smack their arms and make a tremendous amount of noise so the marks in the cheap theats up in nosebleed country can hear it. It's also a bigger movement, so they can see it better.
    No offense to you as a person. But that's the dumbest **** I've read today.

(don't be alarmed though, I'm sure something far worse will come along)
    More human than human is our motto.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 8:37am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My judo and aikido instructors have said not to slap on the street. They said you would cause more damage to your arm then you gain by slapping to save your body. Its more important to curve your body so you roll a little and dont just hit flat.

I slap, its a habbit, I can't help it. I even slap on foward rolls sometimes.

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the only time I slap is when I'm doing a true breakfall where I'm being thrown straight down onto my back otherwise if I'm given any kind of trajectory I'll just roll out of it, I think exhaling as you hit the mat is more important than slapping so you don't get the wind knocked out of you
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 2:55am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slapping really only helps when the fall/throw isn't very hard- then your wristscan dissipate the froce a little. But if you get thrown hard, you can hurt yourself.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    the only time I slap is when I'm doing a true breakfall where I'm being thrown straight down onto my back otherwise if I'm given any kind of trajectory I'll just roll out of it, I think exhaling as you hit the mat is more important than slapping so you don't get the wind knocked out of you
    In addition to this, my take as a crappler:

Can I grab onto my opponent? If I can, then I do this and hang on to break my fall while trying to pull guard, move into position for sweeps, etc.

If I cannot grab my opponent, can I take the impact without being injured? If I can, then I'll concentrate more on pulling guard on rolling.

If I am coming towards the earth like a falling meteorite, then I slap. This means my arm(s) may be sore, but I don't have an arse shattering collision with the ground.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 9:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanArmory
    Slapping really only helps when the fall/throw isn't very hard- then your wristscan dissipate the froce a little. But if you get thrown hard, you can hurt yourself.
    I thought the idea is to strike with your entire inner forearm, not your hand?

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    since when does slapping the mat ever hurt anybody's arm?

if we are talking about injury, then can you tell of one person that has broken their arm slapping the mat?

and if we aren't talking about injury, then what kind of babies are you?????

I get thrown hard all the time, and I slap and somehow Judoka for over 100 years have been slapping out of breakfalls and yet we don't break our arms.... how can this be? Do we have secret zen and ki techniques where we will our arms not to break?

Do it or don't do it... I really don't care, but don't tell me you're not slapping because you're afraid to hurt your little arm. That's just pathetic.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 11:34am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit
    The slap also makes a loud noise, which I'm guessing in Judo or sport JJ is meant to impress the judges.
    Okay? So why would the person being thrown want to impress the judges with how loudly he lands?

I can't wait for this explanation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 11:35am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to avoid getting in the habit of slapping or not slapping (or always rolling). A couple reasons being that your habitual recieves could be exploited by an opponent, but far more importantly they could be a bad idea on some surfaces or spaces. I'll slap out on a mat or on grass sometimes, but lately we've been training on a racquetball court so I'd rather find other ways of landing safely.

If you're being thrown into a corner or there's some **** in your way, and you always try to roll, that's not very safe. Likewise slapping out with your arm on hard surfaces isn't a very good idea. Not that it will magically shatter your arm, but what if you are holding onto something? Hard to slap out effectively with the tension needed to maintain grip.

When being thrown in a straight line on your side or back, I've been taught to sort of "slap out" with the whole body. Spread (and relax) as much surface area as you reach the ground, and on impact tuck into a sort of hemispherel; think of using the reflected force to create a rebounding motion, where you can easily kick or transition into various takedowns as part of the recieve.
    Last edited by Spunky; 1/26/2006 11:38am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 11:44am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Both ways work.

In Arnis we do both roll and slap. It is the difference between breaking the fall and rolling out of it. The trick is commiting to one or the other. If you are falling and you feel that rolling will serve you better then go with it. If you are falling and it looks like break fall will be better then slap away.

As for injury whle slapping. I have not seen this. I have had sore elbows from the shock usually several days later. I have never seen anyone do anything worse then get the wind knocked out of themselves doing Ukemi.

I have however seen people attempt to post and break their collar bone. I have had idiots not let go of my gi and follow me down driving their fist into my chest seperateing my sternum for my rib cage (ouch).

PT
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast