Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, but perhaps encouraging the slap helps to discourage the arm reach.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the lack of images. I have considered that the slap could discourage putting the arm out. It would be great to conduct a scientific study into slap vs no slap.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have two explantions, they may either be both correct, incorrect, or what have you. I can't concretely confirm these due to lack of experimental evidence.

By slapping the ground at the time of impact, you provide a counter force in the opposite direction in which the ground (lava, etc.) acts on your body. This causes a reduction in the net force (Fnet = Fground - Fslap).

As well, the slap increases the total surface which hits the ground. The force, therefore, is spread over a larger area, which decreases the damage of the force at any one point (Pascal's Law?). In other words, you get done hurt less.

Physics majors help me out.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    There are times when it comes in handy, I was watching a Judo comp recently and a guy stuck his arms out and nearly broke one instead of break-falling.

I suppose he could have fucked up, but he was probably attempting a turnout to avoid Ippon. A turnout has nothing to do with Ukemi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfOlives
    Ah, but perhaps encouraging the slap helps to discourage the arm reach.
    This is what I kind of think. If you are slapping you are not “posting.”

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my school they teach us to slap and kick our feet out on the point of impact.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d! supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slapping the ground is for pussies! I like to headbutt the ground myself. It works even better with molten lava and police spike strips. If I'm not in position for a headbutt then I like to hyperextend my joints and give a loud KIAAA!

In all seriousness though, tuck your chin and forget the slap. Unless your Steven Cigar...
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a BMX'er, I've been launched and did a breakfall which saved my ass. Lost a bit of flesh off the ol' elbow, but it grew back.

If I tried to catch or 'slap' the ground to break my fall, at that speed with the momentum i had, i'd have had two seriously messed up wrists.
    :new_all_c

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly. hall of famestaff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not slap with my breakfalls, and I do on ocassion practice them on concrete. Slapping only slows me down in rolling through and getting back up.

Slapping is for girls.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The slap also makes a loud noise, which I'm guessing in Judo or sport JJ is meant to impress the judges. Also, watch pro wrasslin' sometime, when they do a backfall or something similar, they smack their arms and make a tremendous amount of noise so the marks in the cheap theats up in nosebleed country can hear it. It's also a bigger movement, so they can see it better.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last