Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 9:31pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean drills?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's like a step up from kata, I guess. We mostly do jissen kumite, but one day we did do some "light touch kumite" as he called it, mostly because it was after a hard workout and he wanted us to work on our combinations, flow, and other aspects of it without the pressure of a hard-blazing match. Makes some sense I guess, but doing that the majority of the time instead of the minority is a bad idea.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 11:12pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.arashido.com/edpages2/index2.htm NORTH EDMONTON
    http://www.arashido.com/edpages/ SOUTH EDMONTON
    Here is the edmonton page.

There is a general home page, but for some reason i cant find links to the BJJ and muay thai and shootwrestling.

But if you look at the schedule, you will find those arts in there.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 11:31pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to apologize for my retarded post above. For some reason my computer didn't show me any of the other posts.

Of course, now I have this retarded post to atone for as well.

Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:14am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Or we could just take up interpretive dance.
    You take BJJ, so it could only improve your standup.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 3:33pm

Style: Uechi-Ryu, Aikido, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do karate schools do them?
    I dont get it.
    What does it teach you?
    It isnt even usefull for touch contact.
    They are in uechi-ryu.
    Stangly, when talking online with other uechi-ryu people; ones that have cross trianed in bjj or boxing or anything other then karate/kung-fu seem to not use them.
    Or if they are part of an association, they barely practice it.
    EDIT: I have seen this with other styles as well, in person and online; people who think progressive.
    My school doesn't use them; but lots of other schools in edmonton do.
    Does it do anything? Or am i right to assume it to be bullshido?
    I have a black belt in Uechi-Ryu, and have taken some Wado-Ryu (which is slightly similar). Basically, they're good if you have absolutely no idea of what you're doing. If you don't know how to punch -- at all -- or don't even know what a block is. After that, once you're at about yellow belt level, Uechi-Ryu has become completley useless and it's just time to move on. Yes it is part of the Uechi-Ryu association, they were created, I believe, by the founder's son, Kanei Uechi, or at least someone around his level and seniority.

Is it Bullshido? Definitely. Blocking like that, with your whole forearm and leaving your entire ribcage and most of your chest and abs open like that is just asking for it. Additionally you're using too much of your arm when all you have to do is just move out of the way by ducking or slipping, or you could just tap the hand out of the way. If you're extremely close, those kind've blocks are useful, but of course no Uechi-Ryu instructors understand that and thus their students are left with the impression that it's a be all end all in blocking.

It's not pre-arranged kumite's that I don't like, it's just what techniques they have in them that I find as being unrealistic tools in defending yourself in the street.
    Last edited by Tweek; 1/24/2006 3:36pm at .

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it Bullshido? Definitely. Blocking like that, with your whole forearm and leaving your entire ribcage and most of your chest and abs open like that is just asking for it. Additionally you're using too much of your arm when all you have to do is just move out of the way by ducking or slipping, or you could just tap the hand out of the way. If you're extremely close, those kind've blocks are useful, but of course no Uechi-Ryu instructors understand that and thus their students are left with the impression that it's a be all end all in blocking.

It's not pre-arranged kumite's that I don't like, it's just what techniques they have in them that I find as being unrealistic tools in defending yourself in the street.
    Exactly! Why do they keep them then? I mean it would look pretty in a demonstation?

And pre-arranged kumete isnt the only bad training methods employed by Uechi-ryu.

How many Uechi-ryu fighters can fight like Jim Malony(heard of him?)
    His wauke doesn't look like a block to me, it looks like an attack and an anti-grapple.

He is damn fast, and his kata is very dynamic.

So what went wrong in THIS style?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 7:31am

Style: Uechi-Ryu, Aikido, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly! Why do they keep them then? I mean it would look pretty in a demonstation?
    And pre-arranged kumete isnt the only bad training methods employed by Uechi-ryu.
    How many Uechi-ryu fighters can fight like Jim Malony(heard of him?)
    His wauke doesn't look like a block to me, it looks like an attack and an anti-grapple.
    He is damn fast, and his kata is very dynamic.
    So what went wrong in THIS style?
    The five forms that weren't brought from China were created only as fillers, to keep students interested, and that's probably what the pre-arranged kumites were created for, as well. If you noticed the blocks in the kumites aren't the same as Uechi-Ryu's unique circle block, they're just a useless karate invention. So basically I think they're used less as an actual learning tool and more of a way to keep people in the door. When you want to start making money with the martial arts, you'll invent anything -- even turn it into a religion -- to keep people paying you your monthly dues. All of a sudden after you've been there for a while you get to learn the "new" kumite, which is just the same as the one you already knew, only longer. What's the point?
    Never heard of Jim Malony. The only Uechi-Ryu practioner I know of that can actually fight is Alan Dollar. I heard he went to Okinawa one time in one of their full contact fights, where ribs and noses are broken, and just wasted all the Okinawans. But most karate students aren't like that. They think it's all about kata, and learning weapons forms (where and when do you have a Sai out on the street?), bowing correctly and kissing their instructor's ass.
    The only thing I like about Uechi-Ryu is the circle block, and I would actually use that in the street. And the front kick, and the side kicks. That's about it. Not really much of a fan of it anymore. I'm trying to be much more realistic about the stuff I train in.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Jim malony is canadian so you probably havent heard of him.

But there is a teacher called Van Canna who is heavy into RBSD and he is a uechi-ryu guy. Loves his style, and....adjusted it to be more realistic.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345