Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Standing up from your guard

Today's post is about what to do when you are having trouble attacking from guard and don't want to play the waiting game. Either you're down on points and your opponent is stalling, or his posture and base are too good for you to submit him. Whatever. The point is that all of these involve you standing up from your own guard in order to attack. I'll start this off with the XML-ish tree that I tend to organize progressive techniques with:

Code:
    Vampire
    -Safe Stand-up
    --Snap down
    ---Python Choke
    --Take the back
    ---Head push, lie on side, armbar
    --They stand
    ---Snap down at collar and wrist, double-leg as the come back up, PASS INSTANTLY
    --They lean back
    ---Stiff-arm into lapel, run them over to mount, armbar from standing
    Now to break that down into a setup and four separate techniques.

The Vampire
    I have a feeling Marco named this one on the spot, but the name works so well I refuse to call it anything else.
    You have closed guard with the standard opposite collar and same-side wrist grips, while your opponent has posture with lapel and hip control. Take the foot on the side you have the wrist and collar and put it on his hip. Stay tight with the knee like you want to armbar the arm posting on your lapels since this stops him from trying to pass. Now do the same with your other leg. Both feet should now be on his hips and your knees in line with his shoulders. Push on his hips with both feet while maintaining your grips and sit up at the waist. This is where you will launch your attacks and is also how the move gets its name; you should go from lying on your back to sitting straight up like a corny 1920's vampire rising out of his coffin from the ankles.

From here you release the grip on his wrist and do a safe stand-up (stand up in base).

Python Choke
    Push his head down and go shoulder-to-shoulder (right to right or left to left) with your opponent while encircling the head with your grip on the collar. If that's too hard to follow, Aesopian has a description of the Python here and has a picture here. One important change is that between images 5 and 6 you should already have your elbows together like Gerson does in 7. Refer to the first link for a detailed description of the Python; it's better than what I would have written.

Armbar from the back
    Using the grip on the collar, yank your opponent to the side of gripping arm while you move out of the way. At the same time, take the leg on the same side and sit through with your weight forward. You other leg is bent back so you have the side-splits position like you're holding Kesa Gatame. If this is not clear I will be happy to MSPaint it. Now, turn toward the opponent and put the near hook in first (right hook if you yanked him to the right side). If he's too strong to flatten out don't bother; just sit up top. Now reach under one of his arms with your same-side arm, coming up under the armpit to grab your opposite-side lapel. Post with your forehead on the ground and use the other hand to push his head away from the arm you have encircled. Now take your hook out on the side you're pushing his head to and bring it up and over his head. Your knee touches the ground next to his head and your shin lies across his neck with your foot hooking his head. Turn onto your side (the side of the leg against his head) and extend his arm for the armbar. If he rolls, cross your feet over his head to secure control and just armbar him anyway.

Double-leg
    Uh oh, they are wise to your schemes and stand up at the same time you do. As you get to your feet get your grip back on his wrist. You should now have the same grip; opposite collar and same-side wrist. Quickly base and yank him down. If he falls you can laugh and jump on his back but it's not likely. He will probably try to rise up from your dragging him down, but you have already changed levels! Shoot in for the double-leg (head outside his near leg since his stance will be staggered), and when you land post your head into his stomach and go up on your toes with your hips high. Jump over his leg and get to side control. That's 5 points that probably just put you ahead AND broke his morale.

Bulldozer Armbar
    As you sit up from the Vampire they lean back to prevent you from attacking. Not a problem; stand up in base while keeping that collar grip, and once you're up grab their wrist again, stiff-arm into their chest and charge forward. My instinct was to step off to the side for the armbar with one leg over, but you can try running forward like you're on railroad tracks to end in what is essentially the mount but standing over them. Either way you have them on their back with their arm way up in the air, so sit back and armbar them. As a bonus you might have blown their knees if they didn't sit out when being pushed back.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/21/2006 4:54pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 4:59pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From butterfly guard, I like to shove their head down to one side and get a front headlock while coming to a sprawl.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 12:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff guys... Vampire is a cool name. lol

I like that tech. Aeso, I'll have to try it too.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!