223813 Bullies, 3738 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Escape from Ankle Lock

I'm a total BJJ newbie, only been crosstraining it for about a year now.

The bane of my rolling experience so far has been the ankle lock. Do any of you guys have any good escapes or counters to the ankle lock? And by ankle lock I mean something like the following:

The more senior students in my class showed me a couple that don't seem to work for me, but they said it was only pain and to not tap to it and try not to get into it in the first place (which my sensitivity isn't that great yet, so I can't anticipate it).

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 6:47pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you rolling with a gi on? If so, the most effective way to counter an ankle lock that I've found is to grab ahold of the lapel (or keep ahold of it when they sit back) and sit up. As a bonus, you can likely get position on the person when their ankle lock fails.

Edit for more random tips:

Don't let your opponent roll over, don't let him straighten your leg out, keep your body close to his, and don't let him lace your legs or any of that funny business.

If you don't have a gi on, you can grip the back of his head instead of the lapel.

Edit numero dos: I should mention that I have somewhat short legs that are built like tree trunks. My ankles are kind of hard to achilles' lock anyway.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/17/2006 6:51pm at .

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 7:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is NOT just pain. If they do the ankle-lock correctly it will break your foot, or tear tendons/ligaments.

Apart from what's already been said, try to maintain an L-shape. ie. if you're both laying back he can apply the lock, so when he leans back you come up. This also works when your opponent is in your guard and trying for ankle-locks.

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 7:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The BJJ I do is at a university and most of the time it is no-gi.

So what should I do when someone triangles my legs with their legs while doing an ankle lock, or more generally when they put a leg or something to prevent me from coming back up, or is that too late?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 9:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopkins is offering BJJ now?

Damn...I knew I went to the wrong school...

Canuckistanian Refugee

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, JKD Concepts, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing you can do is to push your foot deeper into the hold pushing it past the danger zone.

When I'm rolling, if you have my ankle, I basically tap unless I can do something immediately. I've seen too many "rip-pop---oh ****'s" to risk letting someone accidentally do some permanant damage in the course of training...just isn't worth it to me.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 10:35pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwerb
    Another thing you can do is to push your foot deeper into the hold pushing it past the danger zone.

When I'm rolling, if you have my ankle, I basically tap unless I can do something immediately. I've seen too many "rip-pop---oh ****'s" to risk letting someone accidentally do some permanant damage in the course of training...just isn't worth it to me.

I'm a huge bjj noob with only about 5 classes under my belt. But what I've done in the few situations I've been in an ankle lock is what you described. I try to trust my foot past their arms. Usually by grabbing the gi and pulling myself to them. Then I just sit on their foot nearest the leg they are trying to lock or hop over it while I try to get position.

I really suck at bjj being a noob and all. But that has gotten me out of a couple situations.

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:27pm

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Yeah you guys kinda have the right idea what you want to really do is push and flex the leg. The other thing to do is unlock the triangle around the leg while scrambling and not allowing him to secure the position, takes a lot of practice but gets you into a better position.

As for the original question how to do the ankle lock, there are three securing positions. If I had the time I'd go over it right now. At this time, I'll see if anybody else nails it on the head and get back to this later.
    Actually, if you have the time to go over the three securing positions, that would be a great addition to the DHS sub-forum . . .

This is assuming you haven't already gone over this a million times on here already. If you have, then I shall STFU, because I've never done a search for that particular topic.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/17/2006 11:33pm at .

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key barrier to pass is the knee that's between your legs. If you can pass that knee, by pushing it down with your palms or circling your free side leg in, between theirs, you're in much less danger.

It's easiest to do this if you do the gracie standup thing and stand. Drop your knee across their body at a 90 degree angle, reaching across and controlling that arm to prevent other foot subs. Push the knee between your legs down and past your legs, then leapfrog to mount.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 2:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like there's a bit of a central theme here with the pushing leg through more, passing any obstructions, and either sitting up or standing up. Thanks, I'll put more effort into those things next time I hit the mat.

Quote Originally Posted by DesAuslander108
    Hopkins is offering BJJ now?

Damn...I knew I went to the wrong school...
    Yeah. The Hopkins BJJ club started I think in fall 2002 or spring 2003, it was originally run by a Machado purple belt, a friend of mine from back home in Texas who also came to JHU. He graduated and left, and the club has found a new instructor, Lee Synowski (http://www.baltimorebjj.com/page6.html), a Maguilla purple belt, who so far has been a wonderful teacher.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast