Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rat Pack Black Belt

I've been following a rather interesting situation for some time now, and what follows is a condensed version that I've been able to put together from many sources:

A couple of people from Palmerton, PA trained BJJ at a Renzo-affiliated school in Hatfield, PA, eventually earning blue belts. One of these guys then buys out a martial arts school in Palmerton. No sooner than he buys the school, some guy from Brazil shows up and starts training with them. After several weeks of questioning the mysterious stranger, the owner of the school finds out--lo and behold--that said mysterious stranger is a BJJ BB! Well, since they've now got their own in-house BJJ BB, they don't have to maintain an affiliation with the Renzo school in Hatfield any more--they can hang out their own shingle, so to speak. They call their school Rat Pack Fighting Systems (RPFS).

Their BB--one Robson Pereira--was presented as being in "association" with Rickson, leading some to believe that Robson might be a Rickson BB. One competitor in a little five-man RPFS grappling tournament related that one of the RPFS blue belts stated that Robson was a Rickson BB. Well, the owner of the school ended up posting on one forum that the business about an association with Rickson was a "mistake" made by their webmaster and that all references to Rickson would be removed from their school listings.

The owner then posted that Robson had gotten his BB from "Sakata," but did not provide any lineage for Sakata. The wording on their own site is vague and evasive: Robson "studied Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu" (along with a number of other martial arts); he "ultimately obtained his Black Belt"; and he "had the opportunity to train with Maurice Sakata."

Under mounting pressure generated by the dubiety surrounding Robson's lineage (or lack thereof), the owner arranged for Robson--who had supposedly been out of the game for a while with some kind of debilitating injury--to do remedial training with the Hatfield brown belt to get his skills back up to par and be re-ranked by Renzo. (According to the owner, Robson had earned his BB over a decade ago and needed to get caught up with the more "modern" BJJ.) They even took Robson's picture off their site while he was undergoing this remedial training. That was about seven months ago.

Well, just a few days ago I revisited the RPFS site and saw this:

"Most recently Robson was awarded his second degree Black Belt by Professor Marcos Santos under the authorization of Master Rigan Machado."

http://www.rpfightingsystems.com/instructors.html

Now how does somebody who has to do remedial training under a Renzo brown belt suddenly get a second degree black belt and end up outranking the very one who was charged with bringing him back up to par? If he had a legit lineage to begin with and worked really hard to get his game back up to par, I could see how someone might give him a second degree black belt. But so far, I still haven't seen a verified lineage on the guy. And if he wasn't a legit BJJ BB to begin with, why would anyone reward his deception with a legit BJJ BB ranking, let alone a second degree BB ranking? As a second degree BJJ BB, won't he be able to grant rank to his fellow Rat Packers? How convenient.

Here's an open letter to Marcos Santos I posted on mma.tv:

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...=737584&FID=11

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he's not on bjj.org (not that, that's condemning, but certainly you would think a second dan would be there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 12:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    Well, he's not on bjj.org (not that, that's condemning, but certainly you would think a second dan would be there).
    Yeah, but I think the bjj.org webmaster is overwhelmed and isn't able to keep the site up to date.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 5:14pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DuckofDeath good work, I'd +rep you if I could...

Did you ever have the chance to roll with the guy or watch him roll?

Genius

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this was about Sammy Davis Jr being a BJJ blackbelt of something.

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 8:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teryan
    DuckofDeath good work, I'd +rep you if I could...
    Thank you...

Did you ever have the chance to roll with the guy or watch him roll?
    If I were 1500 miles closer I would go in and roll with him. From what I understand, a school from a neighboring town dojo-stormed their ass and a couple of whitebelts from the visiting school tapped Robson.

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    I thought this was about Sammy Davis Jr being a BJJ blackbelt of something.
    Although this Rat Pack tries to be cool like Sammy Davis, Jr., they just can't quite make it happen. Click on the link below and scroll down to the pictures of the fat bald guy with the Rat Pack tattoo on his arm and you'll see what I mean. (He's the Rat Pack owner.)

http://www.rpfightingsystems.com/ufc.html

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/21/2006 8:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This could get interesting...

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 12:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    Oh, it is. Mentioned in my first post was a competitor at the little RPFS tournament who said that one of the RPFS blue belts told him that Robson was a Rickson BB. Well, on another board, he recently described the blue belt in question as the stocky guy who ran the children's program--who just happens to be the owner of the school.

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 8:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    A Ratpacker friend of Robson's responded on another board that he had spoken with Robson about his lineage to clarify the issue; he posted that Robson had been awarded his black belt by "Mauricio Sakata," who got his black belt from Carlson Gracie, Sr. But there are problems...

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...39&FID=1&pc=11
Page 1 of 17 1 234511 ... LastLast