Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 5:33am

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was interesting to read how the Shotokan practicioner keyed in to the breathing to the music. I don't think most Capoeira students I've met could deal with a sustained linear attack (Japanese martial arts commital style), if Capoeira is their only experience of "martial arts". I once demonstrated a flaw in the Ginga they do to a someone I knew. This is when they step back, step up, step back, step up etc. Now they're told not to do this predictably, but most of them do anyway. By timing for the step up (standing opposite you square on), and just rushing them with a push, it is not too difficult to make them loose their balance. I think it's all about how they train and I don't see them training for reality. I can't comment on the Capoeira in Brazil because I've never visited.

One other thing while I'm ranting, as I understand it, when slavery was abolished in Brazil, they quickly burned the records and barely any info survived so noone realls knows the origins of Capoeira. There is some documentation of the undergroung "gangsta" period but I think this is misinterpreted as giving credibility to Capoeira as a martial art. It's just as relevant to say any dance form that has people in it who are connected to organised crime is martial. I think the confusion comes from the movements which are Afro Carribbean in origin. If you've seen the excellent film "Rize" by David LaChapelle documenting Krump there is a very interesting scene where the founders of Krump are shown footage of African tribal dances and they can't believe the similarity because to their knowledge they created the movements themselves. It's think it's a genetic memory, it just happens that these movements look warlike.
    Last edited by Chance; 1/22/2006 6:13am at . Reason: typos & reword

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2006 11:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, having started doing capoeira recently, I can't see how it could be used on it's own as a way to fight. Still, it's good fun, and it has the highest (hot) female to male ratio of any martial art that I've ever seen or heard of. Also, it could be instrumental (excuse the pun) in curing my White Boy's disease.

I figured that I'd be fucked if I got into a fight anyway, but I'm probably at less risk of injury from the martial art itself than if I did jujitsu or karate or what have you.
    I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2006 7:59am

Style: MT, Sanshou/Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I would definately learn capoeira to meet girls.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:02pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then he (The Karate Master) showed a technique that clearly would have ended matters, but did not go through with it so that the man did not lose face.
    Isnt this sort of analogous to saying (using a deep rumbling voice):
    "As I walked by my target, I knew that I could have killed him with my Ninja abilites. He would never know how close to death he came that day...."
    :bully:
    Not the most convincing of stories about bad ass fighting.

Capoeira definitely has the highest hot chick ratio.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 6:59am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    having done capo for a few months i can honestly say that the capoeira mestre and the serious students would have eaten the local krotty club students for breakfast and then shat the remains all over the street outside (when you eat someone you can **** wherever the **** you want)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 8:02am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    having done capo for a few months i can honestly say that the capoeira mestre and the serious students would have eaten the local krotty club students for breakfast and then shat the remains all over the street outside (when you eat someone you can **** wherever the **** you want)
    That's like saying a professional MMA fighter would beat up your average hobbyist (like me).
    It proves nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2006 1:19pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capo is not effective as a combat art. There's too much unnecessary movement. Every night I pray to the gods of assbeatery that somebody does a HAND STAND when they're fighting me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2006 1:01pm

Style: Haganah

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understood it, the acrobatics and dancing were only used for training the body and were greatly axaggerated combat movements. I thought that in fighting Capoiera was more like Muay Thai, with sweeping,swinging kicks and lots of elbows and knees.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 9:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at historical capoeira fights. They usually started and ended with someone getting cut.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interestingly enough, oldschool cap was all about take downs. It's only the modern styles that have really emphasised the kicks in the style.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast