Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:16pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    Repulsive Monkey: I like that. It might be a bit advanced for her, though. Do you have any suggestions?
    Scrapper's a better person to ask than me, but I would pick something simple, like a jab-cross, having her check the jab and sidestep/hook on the cross. Whatever it is though, make sure she keeps her head protected, and that she quickly moves away when she's done. Concentrate on having her protect herself and hit with power. Veeery gradually, veeery gently (at first) punish her for her mistakes. In the beginning a tap will suffice.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's in martial arts because I'm pressuring her (Women need self-defense training whether they want it or not. I also take her target shooting, and we're getting her a personal sidearm in a few months), and because she's always wanted to but lacked the opportunity.
    I think there is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Pillow fight. Give her the half filled feather pillow and you take the one that's spongy foam.

It may not help her in class, but at least it'll be entertaining for the both of you.
    Of course it has to be done nude, so you both can perceive the "ki flowing" before the travel to Moons of Jupiter starts.
    Last edited by DCS; 1/20/2006 1:59pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're talking baby steps here for a woman that barely knows how to throw a proper punch or kick.
    I dont understand why she is sparring?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start sparring with first having her hit you while you shell up and defend. Then teach her how to defend (live of course) until she's comfortable. No matter how long it takes, that's the first step. Then do isolated sparring drills like just a jab, then add in both straight punches, progressively adding in other things. Whenever you introduce something new for her that will be used in sparring, begin by isolating it. E.G., when teaching takedowns, have her take off her gloves and try and shoot on you, while you can only punch.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DCS: I was actually being facetious, but it is kinda hard to tell from a typed response. Basically, she's always wanted to study martial arts. Since she's done ballet and yoga, she identifies and relates much easier to "Formatic" and "Fluid" systems. In addition, she wants to get in shape and learn to defend herself.

So...full contact Kung Fu seemed like the best option. I figured that they'd use more progressive methods of conditioning...but I get the vibe that the school isn't used to beginning women students.

The "Pressuring" comment was more of a joke, but I do believe that women need some type of self-defense training. I actually debated it during a college course a few years ago.

If I had my way, I'd enroll her in Kickboxing. When she first asked me what to study, I said, "What makes you more uncomfortable...big hairy guys trying to hit you with pads on, or big hairy guys sitting on you?" Instead, we chose a Kung Fu place that trained hard with full sparring.

Ikken: You basically hit the entire fucking problem right spot on. Why the hell is she sparring??? I have no fucking clue, but she's going to have to adapt or we're going to have to find her another school.

The instructor is a really nice guy...I'm sure he'll understand if I approach him the right way.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:47pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repulsive and Feedback basically described how I like to start people out.

The problem with newbies sparring is that they have very little practice actually applying a defense or combo against a real opponent. If you just toss them in there, they will panic and flail, as you have seen.

So, start it easy. Make sure she has at least one combo that she can actually land on a punching bag well, of say maybe a jab, cross. Then make sure she has one defense against an attack. This could be a slip, a parry, or whatever she is comfortable with. Feed her a simple attack, and let her practice the defense, so that she can get confident in not getting pummeled, and can avoid/disrupt the incoming strike. Then let her add in the combo that she earlier practiced as a counter.

Then I like to work on timing. Using the same simple attack, defend and counter drill, start changing the rythm. Throw in little fakes before the simple attack. Nothing fancy, but don't telegraph, and use body language to make it more difficult for her to detect and time. Increase the intent behind your attacks when she seems to be doing well, so that she feels that you are really trying to hit her.

Then try to adapt her defense and counter to a different punch. This may entail altering her defensive techniques a little. Instead of slipping a right cross, have her parry a jab, then throw her combo. Work on lots of different variations.

Next, just keep building upon what you started. Give her another combo counter, let her pick which to use. Start feeding two strike attacks, let her counter. Let her attack with her combo. Interupt her attack, and force her to defend using one of the options that she covered earlier. Start adding in more stuff, focusing on details, etc. Just keep building upon what she has just covered, so that she doesn't get confused with some radically different techniques or tactics.

Pretty soon, she'll be sparring like a champ.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good idea, Feedback. I'm also getting back into full-contact sparring (yes, my Kempo school spars full-contact) after about a 4 year break from striking...so I've once again become "Face Shy" and "Flinchy", as embarassing as that is.

As such, going "Offense/Defense" and letting her beat on me with gloves will work her techniques while conditioning me to getting struck.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:50pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ALso try those big foam blocking sticks. have her shell up and throw combos at the air. WHen she drops a hand, bonk her with the foam stick, lightly at first, then with force. I do this with 4-year-old girls and it really helps with flinching and panicking.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 1:33am

Style: Muay Thai, No Gi Judo/Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to punch and kick, then spar.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that it seems a bit strange that they would put a woman straight into full-contact sparring without plenty of exercises and drills to prepare her and build up her reflexes, stamina and technique. Seems a bit dodgy to me. At least they could start out with medium contact.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12