Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:41pm

Style: CQB/CQC Todd Lineage.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro and a chance for you all to wade in!

Dear Folks this seemed to be the best of the forums for you to let loose on me ;)

I’m a practitioner of modern military Unarmed combat (I also have an interest in Krav Maga, Systema, Stav and medieval/renaissance fighting arts). I was taught at Geoff “Tank” Todd’s School of Self Defense (Dunedin New Zealand, http://www.schoolofselfdefence.com/) in Phase one and some Phase two techniques.

CBQ (aka Military Unarmed combat) is not a martial art as such and apart from gradings (Phase tests) we do not do competitions, as the techniques we apply would likely leave a bunch of maimed and possibly dead behind if some one screwed up. Kicks are all aimed at the knee and shins, blows often are aimed at the back of the neck etc. Practioners of this are in it for self defence, being challenged, and keeping alive the legacy of the Master instructors of WW2 (so not that different from matrial arts I guess).

I’ve seen a number of highly trained martial artists fail the phase tests at the school, possibly due to them employing techniques from their martial arts back ground. As an example: we had a 5th dan black belt in “Ninjitsu” come to the week long “intesnitve extensive” course. He refused to stop doing rolls to avoid contact. During Pugil stick testing at the end of the course he did a wonderful rolling evasion, but left him self (a) facing away from his opponent, and (b) unable to use the pugil stick. His opponent (a LARGE rugby player (Rugby can be seen as a martial art by some ;) ) cracked him on the head with the pugil stick (safety gear was worn, the only place we use it) and knocked him out.]

Anyhow this is my intro and explanation of my preferred style.

Slan

Enech

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enech
    Dear Folks this seemed to be the best of the forums for you to let loose on me ;)

OK so even if I didnt read Any of the stickies I still think this is the best forum ever and I am now asking for my first post to be trollshido'ed.

Anyhow this is my intro and explanation of my preferred style.

Slan

Enech

Fixed that for you buddy .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just what is it you do?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Just what is it you do?

I thought it was obvious he LARPs a bunch of stuff "too deadly" to practice properly. :smile:

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:15pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he trains CQB (Close Quarters Battle). It is fight system that has a major training camp in New Zealand. A friend of mine who is a pro fighter went to NZ and attended one of their intensive camps. He gave it a rave review and has since become a rep of the system. He stated that it was not unusual for people to leave sessions with broken noses or worse,(one guy had to be taken to the hospital with a broken arm).

Since I personally don't have any experience with the system I can't say for sure what it is exactly, I would guess that it is a system for training professional bodyguards with a heavy emphasis on hand-to-hand combat.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I think he trains CQB (Close Quarters Battle). It is fight system that has a major training camp in New Zealand. A friend of mine who is a pro fighter went to NZ and attended one of their intensive camps. He gave it a rave review and has since become a rep of the system.
    If his review is online, do you think you could find it?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll see what I can dig up.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:45pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enech
    we do not do competitions, as the techniques we apply would likely leave a bunch of maimed and possibly dead behind if some one screwed up.
    This might come as a surprise, but every single time you do any body contact sports/martial arts at all you run that risk. Basketball, Football, Wrestling, MMA, even point sparing TKD ata guys. Hell, I've seen guys break their wrist in aikido because of an over confident all knowing newbie put on a wristlock to fast and too hard on another newbie. I know a judo guy who broke his spine and was in traction after a bad fall (he did this a few years before I started judo and was just comming back as I started).

I dont claim to know your martial art. I dont claim that you have to compete to fight. But I do claim that you have to fight to fight, and that means fighting as close to all out street brawling as possible and still being able to go to work tomarrow. As long as you are doing that, then you are learning how to fight.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His review was basically an e-mail he sent to me personally regarding his training experience. But I do have the following links;

at: www.geocities.com/teachcombat

www.fighttimes.com

Both of these websites will have some information for you. My friend appeared on the cover of Fight Times Magazine in either March or April I think.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also check out

www.ko-bus.com

This is my friends website, click on the news page and you will find a short review of CQB.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast