233133 Bullies, 3639 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 271
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Shuma-Gorath is offline
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,608

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:20pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think many people (except die-hard anticonformists) went out and learned Sambo or made up catchwrestling because Royce used BJJ to win a lot of fights. There isn't even a big Sambo push now that Fedor is dominating Pride and MMA is exponentially larger then it was after the first few UFCs.

    Maybe you should ask Rorion to help you market Sambo.
  2. UpaLumpa is offline
    UpaLumpa's Avatar

    Exasperated.

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:57pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid fucking thread.
    BJJ blew MMA and grappling up in America. If you run an mma or grappling school today with any success you have, to a large degree, the UFC and BJJ to thank. Doesn't matter if you do sambo or used to be a ninja.

    Sure there was shooto before Royce and the UFC, but half the time that was fake and the other half of it was gay. Royce and BJJ made the UFC and Rickson and BJJ made Pride. Because of that we now all can enjoy wrestling takedowns, judo throws and leglocks regardless of what style you train.
  3. MuKen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:55pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Whenever I play with BJJ people I always feel like when I used to play street fighter and the other guy would just block a lot and pick away at you with little jabs and wait for the chance to "ALLYOUCAN!!!" When I rolled with wrestlers they always go for it. Sambo too. **** man, the 16 year old green belt at Gokor's gave me a damn run for my money. *embarrased*
    No offense, dude, but I found this rather amusing since this is exactly the type of complaint that would be made by a low level street fighter player who got owned by a high level player and didn't understand enough of the game to appreciate what happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    SAMBO and JUDO are MANLY sports wherein the goal is to be on TOP, not a fruity worm wrapping people up in guard.
    Given the context of this thread, an overgeneralization like this is somewhat ironic. Within BJJ there are people who like to play the guard game, and there are people who prefer to be on top and pass. It's a grappling system, not a guard system.
    Last edited by MuKen; 1/20/2006 4:01pm at .
  4. Pandinha is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    8,751

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:59pm

    supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Face it you bitches.

    Sambo, Judo, and that ****** matbattle type of crappling ICHOKEFUCK does all got their asses handed to them by BJJ.

    See UFC 1 - 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
  5. dramaboy is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:06pm


     Style: -

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Face it you bitches.

    Sambo, Judo, and that ****** matbattle type of crappling ICHOKEFUCK does all got their asses handed to them by BJJ.

    See UFC 1 - 5.
    Some of it was a surprise effect. Fast forward a few UFCs and you have Beneteau, Taktarov, Coleman, Frye, Mo Smith, Frank Shamrock etc. It's not as clean cut as you'd like to see it.

    Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
  6. hl1978 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:07pm


     Style: Aunkai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Everyone DID go out and learn BJJ. Just because there are exceptions doesn't change that.
    Doesn't that mean that not everyone went out and learned BJJ?
  7. MuKen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    163

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:14pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, because clearly Rogan meant that in a literal sense. In Rogan's world, you can go out on the street and ask some random grandma "Hey, do you do BJJ?" and she'll be like "Yeah bitch, let's roll!"
  8. Gezere is offline
    Gezere's Avatar

    My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rhineland Pfalz, Der Vaderland
    Posts
    10,587

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:19pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Judo Uber Alles!!!!

    **** ALL YA'LL!!!!

    JUDO UBER ALLES!!!

    JOIN ME IN MY CAMPAIGN TO COLLECT THE ROYALTIES THAT HAVE NOT BEEN PAID TO THE KANO FAMILY. IF IT WASN'T FOR KANO YOU WOULDN'T HAVE PJ (OR KIMONOs IF YOU'RE BRAZILIAN) NOR YOUR COLORED BELTS. THERE WOULDN'T EVEN BEEN A BLACK BELT CLUB IF IT WASN'T FOR JUDO!!!!

    *looks around for box, blows dust off*
    YOU CAN ALSO HELP THE CAUSE BY JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON WITH A
    B.J.J.=BASICLY JUST JUDO T-SHIRT

    IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU CLAIM, SAMBO, BJJ, OR EVEN CATCH WRESTLING, ALL OF THEM OWE ALOT TO JUDO!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

    RIP SOLDIER

    Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

    You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  9. Snapp is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    158

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:30pm


     Style: Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Some of it was a surprise effect. Fast forward a few UFCs and you have Beneteau, Taktarov, Coleman, Frye, Mo Smith, Frank Shamrock etc. It's not as clean cut as you'd like to see it.

    Tomas
    Although I dont argue the suprise effect.

    Royce did not compete in the standard tournament of those UFC's and I am unsure if BJJ was even represented.


    I think also BJJ took center stage, in UFC 1 at least, because not only did Royce dominate, but literally I dont think he was hit by a single strike.

    Taktarov, man that guy took a fucking beating in UFC 6. He won, but it he was really beat up after. Again, the average Joe isnt interested in having to take a 20 min beating from Tank before finally submitting him.

    Shamrock looked like a body builder, to the average Joe the fact that he can kick ass wasn't really suprising but have a look at Royce...
  10. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,122

    Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:44pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Lines everybody who said this up and slaps them all in the face three stooges style:

    If it wasn't for the Gracies and UFC we'd still be in the dark ages of MA- for that we give thanks.


    BTW ICY the reason I cap SAMBO is because it's and acronym.

    So let's send a bullshido award for Joe Roegan being the 2005 Deuche bag of the universe award.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.