Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:55am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alot of people credit Royce gracie for making submissions popular. Alot of people forget that Ken Shamrock was there, in the first ufc's, tapping people out too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:56am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with TBK. "Everyone taking BJJ" is hyperbole. What's the ratio of people taking BJJ after UFC 1 versus before? I bet you it's pretty big.

And while BJJ might be the most talked-about martial art in regards to the UFC, I've never met anyone in studying BJJ that didn't respect other grappling arts. There's always something to learn from Sambo, Judo, or any of the wrestling styles.

When the UFC was a style-versus-style deal, people would always talk about "bjj is better than wrestling..." and so forth. But now that it's more MMA-oriented, I think there's more emphasis on whatever works for you, regardless of where it came from.

And as people get more and more into that mindset, I think they end up focussing on what the different grappling arts have in common rather than their differences.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not where I live. Judo, Shootfighting, and Shoot Wrestling (both Catch-based, not BJJ) were the choices for grappling in my hometown, no BJJ, and only two choices for MMA. I chose Shootfighting, considering it was a block from my house, and Judo was 4 blocks, and I think the other place 6 or 8, too far for my taste anyway.

So that's where my MMA comes from, Japan, not Brazil, there is a difference in emphasis.
    -OK, then I'll phrase it this way...
    Whining about it won't change the fact that BJJ put MMA on the map for the vast majority of people and places. You are in a very tiny minority.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's overstating your case, I think. Ken Shamrock put MMA on the map as much as Royce Gracie, just by being in the WWF.

That isn't to say he's as important to the formation of the UFC, or any of that, but once the promotion was started, he was there, and he did as much to promote it as any single BJJ guy.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:09pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get mad at TV people. I pitty them.
    Rogan is just whoring for attention and BJJ seems to work for him right now. Once that gets old he'll be whoring with something else. That has little to do with BJJ.
    I train with all kind of grapplers. And while there's always the style-vs-style rivalry, it is usually very rational.
    It's just TV and internet that is polarizing things.

Tomas

PS: I finnaly manned up and went to judo after I've seen Royce at the early UFCs, so there's credit to be given...
    :)
    Current stage of death: denial

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rogan is just a whore for BJJ, it isn't for attention, he has been doing it a long time and really likes it.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninPimp
    -OK, then I'll phrase it this way...
    Whining about it won't change the fact that BJJ put MMA on the map for the vast majority of people and places. You are in a very tiny minority.
    RoninPimp is t3h corr3ct.
    And I think a part of it was the style and a good part of it was the Brazillian "machismo" that came with the style. The style worked for the insiders and the machismo worked for the masses.

Tomas

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't think Royce Gracie was cool for being "macho", I thought he was cool because he WASN'T and beat the guys who WERE.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brazillian machismo = being cool.
    American machismo = being cocky.
    Eastern European machismo = being slightly drunk.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:12pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, BJJ may get more credit than it deserves, but it did help get grappling out to the masses.
    For my grappling, I've only ever done BJJ, but I'd love to branch out and learn some sambo takedowns (I don't know much about sambo, but the russian at our club excels at takedowns), wrestling and judo for takedowns with and without gi, as well as positioning. And so on.
    I'm new to grappling, and I think I'm pretty open minded. I doubt I'm the only one.
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast