Administrator

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 9:43am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joe Rogan can sit and spin *We didn't all take BJJ

:flipando: I hate getting into this because it always turns out wrong. Before we begin let it be known I don't hate BJJ. What I do hate is all the fucking BJJ nutriders like Joe Rogan. :homo: I finally saw his interview with Royce Gracie last night on a rerun of Ultimate Fight Night 3.

"after UFC everybody went out and learned BJJ":new_cussi

I think the better phrase here would've been everybody saw the benefits of grappling. A lot of us other grapplers take offense to this, even if I do stand alone. It'd be like calling a Korean 'Japanese'. Huge slap in the face. From my stand point I've worked out with many BJJ practitioners. I've been offered rank in BJJ. I've learned a lot of good tactics from BJJ but I've also seen the benefits wrestling, SAMBO, and sports Judo have had on BJJ.

I jokingly sigh every time I work out with guys from the local BJJ schools, it used to be so easy to even tap out a BJJ blackbelt when they didn't know the leg locks and neck cranks. Of course that was about 8 years ago, now everybody knows the best tactics from each different grappling art. I see BJJ guys training in Judo, SAMBO and Wrestling learning leg locks, throws, and neck manipulations. I see wrestlers learning the guard game. I see Judoka learning the ground game better, and I see SAMBOist learning to be less agro with there submission and learn to be a bit more concerned about position.

I know for a fact Gene Lebell was ripping guys apart with his grappling years before BJJ became the dominate form of grappling. Shootfighting and Pancrase was strong in Japan.

:new_sleep No, the UFC shook up reality as we knew it and gave a lot of people a nice slap in the face and we have the Gracie family to thank for that. For those of you who forgot there was a huge hatred for BJJ from the other grappling families for a long time after this because everybody thought that BJJ was the here all end all of all fighting strategies and, as it was before, the art of grappling was kept in the dark ages for a few more years until you'd think everybody would come around and see the teachings of Bruce Lee. My motto is it's all good. I actually hated the UFC a bit when I used to win a lot of my fights by takedowns and chokes. After UFC I couldn't be lazy anymore and had to step up my grappling game.

So all my grappling bothers and sisters out there *thumbs up:karated:, and to you Joe Rogan *middle finger, he's a crow bar get your head out your ass. :5squeeze:

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 10:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *slow clap*

And I can't grapple for **** anyways but still......

Having been trampled by Omega and also by various friendly folks at Gokor's....actually much more thouroughly than any of the random BJJ folks I have encountered. Not to say that there aren't pleny of BJJ folks who would trample me but really, I get sick of hearing the one not drum.

More than that.....he he... and this is just from watching....BJJ is kind of a bitch style compared to Sambo or even wrestlers. I'm sure black belts kick the same kind of ass but come on guys...tell me you weren't rooting for Fedor over Minotauro. Come on. Admit it. Fedor fights like a man. He stands and punches and doesn't **** around with the guard game. Whenever I play with BJJ people I always feel like when I used to play street fighter and the other guy would just block a lot and pick away at you with little jabs and wait for the chance to "ALLYOUCAN!!!" When I rolled with wrestlers they always go for it. Sambo too. **** man, the 16 year old green belt at Gokor's gave me a damn run for my money. *embarrased*
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the better phrase here would've been everybody saw the benefits of grappling. A lot of us other grapplers take offense to this, even if I do stand alone.
    I feel your pain, it urks me that BJJ gets all the credit for grappling. Like it just appeared in Brazil and they brought it to the ignorant barbarians in the outside world for the first time ever at UFC 1.

But complaining about it is like me saying "I wish they wouldn't refer to Nazis as Fascists, they weren't Fascists, the Fascists were different, blah, blah, blah", not gonna happen, no one cares to make the distinction because no one besides a few devotees are gonna understand or care.

SAMBO...SAMBO...SAMBO
    I note that you did not put JUDO in all capitals, I am offended and feel JUDO has not recieved enough capital letters on this thread. So I'm going to have to use JUDO once more in this sentence to even it out...JUDO.

Shootfighting and Pancrase was strong in Japan.
    Exactly, and guys came back from there to train in the US and Europe. They had started to spread out in the early-mid 90s, contemporary with BJJ in North America. The UFC caused BOTH to have a surge in popularity, although, obviously BJJ was more popular.

Fedor fights like a man. He stands and punches and doesn't **** around with the guard game. Whenever I play with BJJ people I always feel like when I used to play street fighter and the other guy would just block a lot and pick away at you with little jabs and wait for the chance to "ALLYOUCAN!!!"
    Agreed. I hate that, and I hate that YOU Omar assume that when people say MMA technique, they mean BJJ technique, **** THAT! When I talk about MMA, I'm talking about fighting like a man. Ju Jitsu is for grappling, fighting is for fighting. They are not the same thing. I can fight like a BJJ wienie if I want to, you know, be nice to the noobs, give them a chance to get a takedown, that sort of thing, but if I'm actually fighting, that crap goes out the window. It's the best way to hurt yourself, even if you end up winning...pull guard so that someone can punch you, when you could've been punching them...fan-fucking-tastic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:10am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great post. Anpit tje Judo, I don't think it has been appreciated that much until Pride started promoting it - then we got to see how awesome the art was.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're taking it too literally. After UFC, many, many people went out to learn BJJ.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whining about it won't change the fact that BJJ put MMA on the map.

BJJ nuthuggers are like any other nut hugger. Uninformed non trainers.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it has been appreciated that much until Pride started promoting it - then we got to see how awesome the art was.
    I trained for a year in Shootfighting, went to Judo, tapped out everybody except a couple of black belts, thought it was crap, watched Yoshida beat Royce (I didn't care that the ref rigged it, he still would've won), went back to Judo, tapped out everybody except a couple of black belts but also actually started learning, and kind of liked it, then one of the black belts got mad after I took him down and tapped him out a couple times and foot swept me into a crucifix, hyperextending my spine...I was a little shocked, considering...

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whining about it won't change the fact that BJJ put MMA on the map.
    Not where I live. Judo, Shootfighting, and Shoot Wrestling (both Catch-based, not BJJ) were the choices for grappling in my hometown, no BJJ, and only two choices for MMA. I chose Shootfighting, considering it was a block from my house, and Judo was 4 blocks, and I think the other place 6 or 8, too far for my taste anyway.

So that's where my MMA comes from, Japan, not Brazil, there is a difference in emphasis.

WTF???

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just be thankful that no one makes fun of how gay SAMBO and JUDO are, (and they ARE gay, very very gay).
    Mauro: Coming into the ring now is Giant Silva. 7 foot 2, 385 lbs, making his debut in Pride.
    Bas: Wow, that is one big guy!
    Mauro: He must have an enormous Johnson!
    Bas: Ur…I suppose.
    Mauro: What are his keys to victory here in the Pride ring tonight?
    Bas: Well I think he needs to use his reach, avoid Heaths takedowns, and try to use his size to overpower him.
    Mauro: I mean, imagine the size of that thing!
    Bas: Now Heath is coming into the ring…
    Mauro: Do women really like them that big? Doesn’t it hurt?
    Bas: I really wouldn’t know.
    Mauro: I’m starting to feel a little insecure.
    Bas: Let’s just talk about the fight.
    Mauro: You’re right, el Basito. What are Heaths keys to winning here tonight. What does he have to do? What are his strategies for emerging victorious here in the Saitama Super Arena tonight?
    Bas: Well, the first thing…
    Mauro: My wife says she doesn’t like them too big, that it’s all about how you use it.
    Bas: That’s not what she told me.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just be thankful that no one makes fun of how gay SAMBO and JUDO are, (and they ARE gay, very very gay).
    SAMBO and JUDO are MANLY sports wherein the goal is to be on TOP, not a fruity worm wrapping people up in guard.
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast