Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 7:53pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Standing Heavy Bag Suggestions

Hello, all. About 6 months ago I convinced our facilities manager to order a Wavemaster XXL standing heavy bag (sand filled) for a small class I teach. Recently the bag broke and the manager is skeptical about getting another bag because it broke so quickly. Does anyone recommend a heavy bag that can stand up to regular use? It will slow down the pace of the class if we are without a bag, so it is very important to find one that will last at least a year or so.

Difficulty: Must be a standing bag as facilties in unwilling to open the roof to install a hanging bag.

p.s. There is this monster brawler up here that is pushing 300lbs. He typically does a ton of combos that really jar the bag. I need something that can take his mammoth punches since I sure as H3ll aint going to do it! Any advice will be appreciated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 8:36pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

I think they break faster with sand than they do with water actually. Also, how did it break? If it snapped at the..uhh..the screw part that connects to the base, you can possibly get a new top/bag part for dirt cheap depending on the supplier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knave, you must have owned one before... lol It did break at the screw. However, it functioned perfectly even broken. My hardest kick at top or bottom couldnt dislodge it from the base. One day, some bastage laid it down on its side so he could "see himself in the mirror" it was obstructing. I asked him to not lay it down on its side since facilities might think it is broken and remove it. Guess what? Two hours later someone called facilities, said it was broken, and had it removed. Probably that same guy. Not only did they throw away a perfectly functional bag, but they also eliminated any chance of getting a replacement by chunking the vinyl outercover. Without that vital piece, they will not replace it.

I will consider the possibility of a water bag. Our greatest contention with water bags would be a leak and the possiblity of mildew in the gym carpet. However, if it is more durable since it "flows" with a shot, that certainly is a good selling point. Thank you for your response.

EDIT: I lik tu spell guud.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 12:20pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a wavemaster bag, old one prolly 10+ years old and hav enever had any problem with it. Mine is water filled. Only thing that has happened is the foam core has came unglued from the plastic sleeve that attaches it tot he base, which is easy to fix, just reglue it.

I don't ahve anyone 300+ plus hitting it but it has taken lots of abuse from weapons strikes (just slip an old military seabag over the vinyl) to younger kinds using it as a tackling dummy.

Not sure if the quality of the new ones is on par with the old ones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may know the brand you are talking about... with the adjustable height. A friend of mine had one of those and it was pretty durable. Did it allow you to do low kicks at all? If it is the version I have in mind, it didnt accommdate low kicks. I am trying to work on some San Shou techniques so low kicks are mandatory. One of these days I will need to get one of those for the home. Thanks for responding! =D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:57pm

Style: JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No low kicks, the base is too big, it is the right height for practicing kicks to the thighs though.

Could always just by a stand put up a normal heavy bag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet. I convinced management to buy a banana Muay Thai bag and hang it in the gym. Hopefully they will bite on the 250lb bag. That will be like kicking myself! Woot. Disaster has been avoided yet again.