Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 10:38pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    There's a lot more to Kuk Sool than what you saw there. It's not a performance art like modern wushu. Kuk Sool is basically Hapkido with a few extras. Now if you're not into TMA's at all or think they're all worthless then it may not make a difference. I just thought I'd point out there's more to Kuk Sool than what you're seeing.
    sweet. i wish san shou had some performance elements in it, itd be great for parties or whatever. i hate being asked to do 'kung fu tricks' by people expecting me to do backflips and spin kicks when the best i can do is like.... yar! rear cross!

and hey, no need to get all defensive. i didnt say anything against TMA or kuk sool

p[X]c

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 11:05pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nezha
    sweet. i wish san shou had some performance elements in it, itd be great for parties or whatever. i hate being asked to do 'kung fu tricks' by people expecting me to do backflips and spin kicks when the best i can do is like.... yar! rear cross!

and hey, no need to get all defensive. i didnt say anything against TMA or kuk sool

p[X]c
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off as defensive. Lots of people aren't into the whole TMA thing, so sometimes I almost feel obligated to point out it may not be your cup of tea, but some of us are into it. It wasn't really meant to sound defensive.

On a side note, the video really doesn't do much to display the large part of KSW that is the jointlocking and throwing curriculum. I can definitly see why just watching that video makes one think it's a flashy show off art. These students just happen to excel in acrobatics.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    On a side note, the video really doesn't do much to display the large part of KSW that is the jointlocking and throwing curriculum. I can definitly see why just watching that video makes one think it's a flashy show off art. These students just happen to excel in acrobatics.
    I honestly think some acrobatic skill should be taught when learning Martial Arts . Basic break falls , tumbling , maybe some arial work . Mainly for self exploration and finding the limits of what you can do ... ( and get away with without injury ) .

But ... seriously ... there is a point where you draw the line . Acrobatics and tumbling should be BASICS in the curriculum . The Black belts shouldnt be pimping this crap , like it's some culmination of the years they spent at their art . IF this is the end Result of KSW then I am disapointed ... greatly ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:43am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Well, this people can jump.

I guess that the swords displayed weren´t katanas, but a korean type of sword. But why did they sheat them samurai-style?
    During the Josun dynasty, which where part of Kuk Sool supposedly draws it's inspiration, four ryuha of Japanese swordsmanship had an influence on the Korean military arts.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    those were the most dramatic break falls i have ever seen.
    I second that :eusa_doh:

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those were actually pretty average for the advanced breakfall stuff. I used to have some videos of some crazy Hapkido and KSW demos with some amazing breakfalls. I'll see if I can find them again.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 6:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    During the Josun dynasty, which where part of Kuk Sool supposedly draws it's inspiration, four ryuha of Japanese swordsmanship had an influence on the Korean military arts.
    Oh, I see. At first I was afraid that these people where mixing a bunch of TMA´s and then claiming their style to be a gazillion thousand years old. "Man, our style is so old, it was created by neanderthals".

BTW, why hasn´t Pagan shown yet to cocksuck KSW?

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 9:26am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I honestly think some acrobatic skill should be taught when learning Martial Arts . Basic break falls , tumbling , maybe some arial work . Mainly for self exploration and finding the limits of what you can do ... ( and get away with without injury ) .

But ... seriously ... there is a point where you draw the line . Acrobatics and tumbling should be BASICS in the curriculum . The Black belts shouldnt be pimping this crap , like it's some culmination of the years they spent at their art . IF this is the end Result of KSW then I am disapointed ... greatly ...
    The breakfalls and basic tumbling are paramount when it comes to the acrobatics in KSW. The rest is just sort of optional. I do agree that when promoting the art the focus should be on what is actually the important part of the art.

Not that it really matters, but may interest some of you, this is Seo, In Sun's group who is now part of the Kidohae (though I think they still also operate loosely under the Korean Kuk Sool Association that he runs). Most any Kuk Sool you'll find over here is run by Suh, In Hyuk's (Seo, In Sun's brother) World Kuk Sool Association.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12