Argh! It hurts!

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:32pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Fun!

Hey, Losttrak, from the san shou I've seen, Mizong people are usually very well-represented. From your perspective, is there something about your style that lends itself well to that arena, or is just part of the culture that comes along with it?
    One of my sihings did pretty well when he tried out a few matches in China, so I hope so. Mizonglouhan's (dunno about straight Mizong, which is a slightly different animal) base is pretty kickboxing-like, though the hands are a bit different, and in my experience, tend t work from cross-hands contact. The basic walks and drills usually lead to a sweep or throw, so I can see it applying to sanda (though in my buddy's case, he also trains in JJJ, and attributed it to some of his success). I know I've gotten a bit better at catching kicks o ver the last 3 years of doing it.

As for the "culture," my lineage comes from Jingwu, and they've always emphasized cross-training, since the organization was an umbrella for a few different arts and sports. Straight Mizong (as opposed to the Huo family version than combines Monk Fist) is something I don't know so much.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    Ok, here are two fights from the Tai Chi Legacy Tournament in Dallas, TX. I am the guy in the red tanktop (I hate ripping my kung fu top). You may notice my amatuer loss of control towards the end of each match. I had a problem with wanting to escalate the more I fought. For the record, the guy in white in the second fight was from a school notorious for bloodying people up and never being called on it. My arm ends up dislocating (again) and I reflexively smack him and get DQ'd.

Anyways, until I get another permanent web host, yousendit will have to work. Enjoy and please rehost if you have the time. Now... Flame on!

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...C3SD7XR7PP9DEN

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...E0MRP8M55V7BE9
    Nice feet. I'm not so good at those really quick, small changes in position.

By the way, what's the mainline Mizong curriculum? I don't train in a "pure" version.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:58pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We might be from the same style. My Jhong Law Horn is the Cantonese name, though I call it Mizong because it is short. Our style also originates from Jingwu. I can drag out the lineage chart or something. You heard of Kwong Ming Lee or Johhny Lee?

http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.co...hPictures1.pdf

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We might be from the same style. My Jhong Law Horn is the Cantonese name, though I call it Mizong because it is short. Our style also originates from Jingwu. I can drag out the lineage chart or something. You heard of Kwong Ming Lee or Johhny Lee?

http://www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.co...hPictures1.pdf
    Yeah, we're the same art. My lineage comes through Alex Kwok, if I'm not mistaken.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, a style brother. Well, congrats! A. Kwok has a reputation for being a good fighter so you have found yourself a teacher close to the source.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, a style brother. Well, congrats! A. Kwok has a reputation for being a good fighter so you have found yourself a teacher close to the source.
    Well, it's *through* him; I'm actually two chain links away, school-wise (Robert Walther/Greg Magwood). At 3 years, I'm pretty much a novice in the system; we learn it along with Xingyi and I take Taiji from Magwood as well. I'm three sets in with Tam Toi, Gongliquan and Changquan, as well as the first two person set.

Magwood is a top-flight martial artist with a background in Okinawan, Thai and Indian MA as well. The flaw in our school right now is that we have almost no space, which has seriously hampered live training opportunities. Plus, as Sifu lives in rural Ontario, his time is divided between a circuit of locations that can be up to 2 hours away from where he lives. Despite these limitations, I'm happier at this club than anywhere else I've ever been.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, I understand. When I went to Florida to train with JL, I had to stay above a Pawn Shop in an efficiency that had no furniture and it took 45 minutes to run a bath tub. I used an old worn mattress as a kicking bag and filled up cranberry juice bottles for my arm workouts. 14th Street in Bradenton was "Hookerland". When I pulled into my lot, they thought I wanted to get a "date". I saw people mugged below my window at least twice during the three months before we went to Dallas for the new school. Sometimes hardship and isolation allows you to grow closer to your art, especially if it is the only thing in which you find joy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 2:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my links for the audio version was screwed up. Here is a repost of the links:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NHH98Q89 Fight 1
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SKQCYAMO Fight 2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123