supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Brooks Kubik demonstrating one of his unique bodyweight exercises."

It's a pushup.....

"AGE IS NO OBSTACLE
    Dinosaur Bodyweight Training will work for anyone, of any age. "

****, it is for dinosaurs, those guys are 100 bagillion years old!
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 9:29am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only 25 million or so actually

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 2:18pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hype for the new bodyweight book is really tacky. If you go to the main site you'll find Kubic is generally pretty sensible and down-to-earth.
    Here's an example...
    What Really Works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago the local paper ran an article titled, "What Works: Local Fitness 'Insiders' Reveal Brands, Products They Use." The answers were 100% fitness oriented, and included shampoos, TWO different kinds of moisturizers, a mouth rinse and sheer support pantyhose.

Not much of interest to a serious lifter, but it got me to thinking. What really works when it comes to building strength, power and muscle?

I thought a top 10 list might be interesting. Here's my list --- see how it compares to yours:

(1) Barbells

(2) Hard work

(3) Heavy weights

(4) Squats

(5) Olympic lifting

(6) 5 x 5

(7) Abbreviated training

(8) Heavy singles

(9) Multiple sets of low reps

(10) Hard work (yeah, I know it's already on the list, but if the local paper can include two kinds of moisturizer in THEIR list, I can include "hard work" twice in MY list!)
    http://brookskubik.com/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 4:30pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just managed that rope pull up about 1/2 an hour ago, I used the same set up as before 1/2" diameter rope, but I found my chalk ball and used A LOT of chalk. I managed the pull up twice, single rep (not very clean) with a rest inbetween but I still managed to rope burn my right hand from a slight slip. I used a marine rope which is heavily braided (I think four strands are braided into one) and easier to grip, if anyone else gives it a go it is really important to chalk your index fingers the most. I wouldn't even try it with a smooth nylon rope though, the rope burn from a slip would be really bad. I'm not sure what doing the move proves though something to remember to embarrass a cosmetic weight trainer that claims he's stronger than me. I've always trained body weight exercises where possible and I think it's really impressive that Kubic can do it, he looks a lot heavier than me.
    Last edited by Chance; 1/19/2006 4:35pm at . Reason: rope technicality

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 9:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    I don't think he means "dinosaur training" in the way that you invoke hidden dinosaur spirits. Furey wants us to think we all have an inner ape we can bring out by exercising in a certain way.
    Indeed - it's the absurdity of the hype that's Bullshido. Bodyweight exercises do work, and it's a shame they're not sold on their own merits alone, but with a truckload of hyperbole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 10:30pm

Style: TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    Indeed - it's the absurdity of the hype that's Bullshido. Bodyweight exercises do work, and it's a shame they're not sold on their own merits alone, but with a truckload of hyperbole.

Eh, personally, I think we should probably lay off the naming schemes and such. Not to rail against you or anything, and I agree that "Dinosaur Power" is just one obnoxious, silly name, but so are half the names we give martial arts and martial art schools in this world.

It's not really "Bullshido" so long as it's just a regular ole physical regimen that works. I'd imagine, like the primate power, that you do get stronger, so long as you're not actually emulating strength training exercises for animals (since despite whatever similar appearance we might have with an ape, we don't have the same motor functions).

I'll agree, Furey is way over the top with his campaigning. I guess he also goes for the "Bodyweight training greater than weight-lifting" which I would disagree with, but at the same I wouldn't discount bodyweight training at all. It has its uses. But that's the nature of the beast. If your'e selling something, you gotta sell hard.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 11:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGALEF
    Koto_Ryu trains a lot by that book, I think.
    Yep, it's my Bible.

There's no way that Kubik's Bullshido. The man is all about hard work, training until you throw up, getting as strong as possible in as many different ways as possible, and training for strength rather than looks alone. He constantly pokes fun at "bunny trainers" who only inflate their muscles with bicep curls, avoid squatting "cause it hurts!", and only care about their bench press. Brooks helped get people finally training like the old-time strongmen way back when.

The Dinosaur thing comes from how he and his friends prefer the workouts of 50+ years ago rather than all the fancy new ones of today (which are basically variations of the same thing, as nothing's new in the Iron Game). He's pretty much anti-bodybuilding.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 11:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shaft
    Eh, personally, I think we should probably lay off the naming schemes and such. Not to rail against you or anything, and I agree that "Dinosaur Power" is just one obnoxious, silly name, but so are half the names we give martial arts and martial art schools in this world.

It's not really "Bullshido" so long as it's just a regular ole physical regimen that works. I'd imagine, like the primate power, that you do get stronger, so long as you're not actually emulating strength training exercises for animals (since despite whatever similar appearance we might have with an ape, we don't have the same motor functions).

I'll agree, Furey is way over the top with his campaigning. I guess he also goes for the "Bodyweight training greater than weight-lifting" which I would disagree with, but at the same I wouldn't discount bodyweight training at all. It has its uses. But that's the nature of the beast. If your'e selling something, you gotta sell hard.
    I never said the content was bullshido - I was talking about the hype. Being able to sell is essential, but when the ad copy seems to promise the Earth... It looks like a good programme though, which begs the question as to why he has to sell it so hard to begin with.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 6:22am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe the forum needs a weirdshido portion for stuff that works but has some weird crap attached to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 8:14am

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truculent Sheep
    I never said the content was bullshido - I was talking about the hype.
    Indeed.

Yeah, the content of what Furey is pushing is basically sound. But he overhypes his stuff, not to mention overcharges.

Just one more example of the hype is on the cover of his Combat Conditioning. You see that picture of him on the cover, looking all buff and what not? Well that pic was taken of him when he was weight training (which of course he's now against) rather than doing the body-weight training his book prescribes.

BTW some of you here may have heard of Ross Enamait. Others perhaps not. This guy is much better than Furey IMO. His Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness book has far more content (plus stuff on mental training, nutrition, workout routines and other things that Combat Conditioning doesn't have) and costs about $10 less. Ross doesn't hype his stuff, he doesn't overcharge, and he will answer any questions you have via email or on his forum.

He's a class act, especially compared to Furey.
    Last edited by GhostDog68; 1/20/2006 8:17am at .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast