Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate Kid Hits Dojo With Suit

KARATE KID HITS DOJO WITH SUIT

By DENISE BUFFA January 17, 2006 -- A Bronx teen has sued a Midtown karate school, claiming that as a novice student, he was wrongly paired with a highly skilled student-instructor, who kicked him in the face, breaking his jaw.

Jonah Stevens, 19, says he was at Anderson's Martial Arts school at 35 W. 31st St. in January 2003 when he was paired with the student-instructor for practice and wound up permanently injured, according to his lawsuit filed in Bronx Supreme Court.

"There was a guy, a student, who took over teaching the class, and the guy kicked him in the face, broke his jaw," said Stevens'...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/60639.htm

:sad3:
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:51pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.andersonsmartialarts.com/

This seems to be the place, seems they have moved in the past.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 9:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did he not sign a waiver when he began training?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 7:29am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But then, even if you do sign a waver saying "it's not their fault if I get hurt" you expect to be somewhat looked after. If I walked into my class and my teacher punched me in the face as hard as, and broke it, I'd be somewhat unimpressed and no waver would change that.

If they've got a senior who can't control himself, sticking him with newbies is not a good idea.

Of course, the kid could just be whining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 1:48pm

Style: shopping around currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok first he's a dumbass for making a BS lawsuit. there's no telling what the hell he did. he could've lunged into a kick jaw first.

it's not like the guy meant to break his jaw. and if he did, well then the student instructor is a jackass.

but some people just have weak jaws and then there's lucky/unlucky hits.

i'm assuming they made him sign a wavier. if so he should have no weight in court.

possible injuries are part of anything physical, regardless of sport. are schools going to start putting on seminars for morons who aren't smart enough to know that sparring = punching & kicking people?

people who join martial arts, are going to have to start realizing that physical contact like martial arts WILL have a consequence of a possible injury. but of course this is the land of the lawsuit.

but the student instructor was probably being a dick anyways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 1:35pm

Style: chung do kwan tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if he had been paired with an unskilled beginner, he would be suing for his smashed nuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 2:12pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    KARATE KID HITS DOJO WITH SUIT

By DENISE BUFFA January 17, 2006 -- A Bronx teen has sued a Midtown karate school, claiming that as a novice student, he was wrongly paired with a highly skilled student-instructor, who kicked him in the face, breaking his jaw.

Jonah Stevens, 19, says he was at Anderson's Martial Arts school at 35 W. 31st St. in January 2003 when he was paired with the student-instructor for practice and wound up permanently injured, according to his lawsuit filed in Bronx Supreme Court.

"There was a guy, a student, who took over teaching the class, and the guy kicked him in the face, broke his jaw," said Stevens'...

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/60639.htm

:sad3:
    Quote Originally Posted by the rest of the story
    ...lawyer, Stephen Krawitz.

The "full contact" blow loosened several of the teen's teeth, requiring dental work. His jaw will forever be sore, Krawitz said.

Attempts to reach the school and its owner, identified in court papers as Dan Anderson, were unsuccessful.
    In case you don't feel like registering or using Bugmenot. I'm interested to hear the whole story (and the outcome), but I doubt I'll ever get it, even after the lawsuit is over.