Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Discussion of Turnovers

I realize in Jiu-Jistu this isn't as large of a concern, but in Judo reversing people who are in the turtle position into a position/pin/submission is a critical skill. There are about a billion turnovers in Judo and I don't really want to discuss the ones that happen all the time, so this thread is for the discussion of turnovers that are your "secret weapon" as it were. Those that aren't shown in textbooks generally.

I'll start with two of my personal favorites:

The Brazilian (I have no idea why my club called it this):

Facing your turtled opponent head on, grip his right lapel (opposite of your hand) from around his neck. Overhook his right arm with your left and come underneath his armpit and place your left hand on the back of his head or nape of his neck. Tighten your right hand until it's almost choking him, flatten your body and roll to the right (similar to the roll of an anaconda choke) onto your belly. From here you can choke, which works on some people and not on others, and you also have a really tight pin.

Armbar/Choke (I can't remember what we call this one):

Facing your turtled opponent head on, grip his right lapel (opposite of your hand) from around his neck. Sit up a little straighter and straighten your right arm while pressing towards the mat (this doesn't have to be super rough). Quickly (speed is critical) sweep your left leg over your opponent and fall onto your back. Tighten the choke or perform juji gatame.

Feel free to contribute your own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 5:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for gi-

From your opponent's side, insert your knee in the gap between their arm and leg. Reach over the other side, and grab the gi around the elbow and knee. Get posture, and roll the opponent up your knee. Remove your knee while your opponent is in mid-air, and come down into side control.

Good for no-gi

From the side, reach through under your opponent's head and armpit, to grab the opposite-side arm just above the elbow. Drag the elbow out from under your opponent to come up into side control
    Last edited by NSLightsOut; 1/17/2006 5:15pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 5:56pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reverse omoplata.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reverse omoplata.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reverse omoplata.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 10:59am

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reverse triangle

Face him head-on.
    Hold him down by grabbing his belt with your right hand palm up and press him down with your forearm along his spine.
    Put left knee close to his neck (same side, and by same side I mean his right side)
    Press your right foot in between his knee and arm, same side.
    Underhook his right arm with your left.
    Roll to the right, quickly figure-four and keep a steady grip on his right arm.
    Getting the triangle tight enough for a choke is hard and involves pulling on his far arm but putting a straight or bent lock on his right arm is easy and so is transferring to another pin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 7:19am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back mount the bastard so if he rolls while your getting ready you have back mount, reach with your left hand (for example) under his left arm pit and grab his right collar, near his chest or neck, then the right hand grabs the top of his collar, behing the head, then place the right foot on the right side of his head/neck and fall to that side holding to the lapel, when he rolls after you cross your ankles and you are in a "Crussifix" position, from here you can armbar him, choke or something else you remember.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 7:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't really about turnovers but I think its relevant to them, most turnovers require you to get and underhook for example, this puzzles me because getting the underhook is the hard part after that your oponent is open to all sorts of arm locks chokes and you have a lot of control.

(by underhook I mean your arm under their armpit controling their arm, like some sort of half nelson but insted of your hand beeing on his neck, its grabing your own gi for example)

I think it is hard to getting this underhook because (with the gi, without gi its a lot easier) they are turtling and they have the arms tucked in griping their own gi in the collar, to stop chokes and so you cant control their arm, its like impossible to muscle your way in, most judo guys have a very strong grip and even if you could, it wastes a lot of energy so my question is, do you have any trick to get this underhook ?

I'm not sure if im beeing clear if I'm not I can elaborate

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 10:47am

Style: kickboxing, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A turnover I learned last judo session:

When you somehow get your opponent on his knees(ie he's turtling), but you still have your right hand on his left lapel(the higher up his neck the better). You bring your right arm under his neck, stepping to the left. You then step over him with your left leg(he is now under you, left leg to his left side, right leg to his right side), then "sit" on him and bring the left leg under his body(knee facing away from him), grap his left leg with your left arm and just roll forward.

Was that understandable? I want to contribute, but my english sucks so much :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 4:53pm

Style: Judo, Wrestling, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A nice little armbar, not aware of any other name:

Assuming you're facing the same direction as the turtled opponent, slip the right leg through and hook the foot around the outside (opponent's left) leg. With the head posted, reach around the guy's right arm and grap your own gi lapel. At the same time, shove his head down with your left hand and get your left leg under it. Roll to the right, lift hips. and voila.

edit - grammar.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast