Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Calls for samurai sword ban after man is stabbed through the heart

Echo calls for ban on samurai swords after death of local man

By HoldtheFrontPage staff
    published 16.1.2006

The Express & Echo in Exeter is calling for samurai swords to be banned, after a local man was stabbed to death in the street. The newspaper wants the government to stop the sale of the swords, with an exemption for licensed groups. It is not currently illegal to buy a sword, only to carry it in public. And a day after Sidmouth man Bradley Moran admitted killing 33-year-old Matthew Stiling by stabbing him through the heart with the 18-inch blade of a samurai sword, an Echo reporter discovered how easy it is to buy one unchecked from an Exeter shop.

Journalist David Edbrooke paid 120 for a sword with a 2.5ft sharpened blade, and said it was "as easy as buying a lotto ticket". Echo editor Marc Astley said: "It is incredible that our reporter was able to buy such a terrifying weapon, no questions asked. I was shocked at just how sharp and heavy the blade is. "Although they are supposed to be for ceremonial use the sword we purchased was lethal. There is no excuse for this sort of thing to be sold to anyone but licensed organisations and we will be pursuing our campaign with vigour."

David said: "Buying the sword was almost as easy as purchasing a pack of sweets. "I simply went into the shop, saw two sheathed samurai swords hanging above the counter and asked to look at one. "After giving it a quick inspection, I offered my credit card up and that was that. "The only other requirement asked of me was to write my name and address in a little black book that the shop kept.

"I found it staggering that I was able to go into a city centre shop and in a matter of minutes walk out with such a dangerous, offensive weapon - I've spent more time in my local newsagents picking numbers for the lottery or buying a bag of marshmallows than I did buying the sword." The campaign has been backed by Devon & Cornwall Police and Exeter Police as well as Matthew's family. Marc added: "There will be some who argue that household knives could be as deadly as samurai swords.

"Try telling that to the family of Matthew Stiling.

"When his killer became aggrieved he didn't reach for the kitchen drawer, he armed himself with a weapon worth hundreds of pounds and murdered an innocent young man. "The Echo accepts that some martial arts groups use such weapons innocently. "We hope they will accept that calling for their sale to be restricted is sensible and reasonable. "We will pursue this campaign to the bitter end and will be calling on Echo readers to play their part too.

"If that means that together we help prevent a single death or injury, it will have been worth it."

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/ca...60116sam.shtml

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 8:36pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is in England right?

So are they going to ban the purchase of Scottish broadswords as well?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    1/16/2006 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    This is in England right?

So are they going to ban the purchase of Scottish broadswords as well?
    Well, you know the Brits, they've got to ban these sort of things because we all know samurai swords and firearms go around murdering people by themselves.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 2:37am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha. 120 for a "Samurai" sword? Sounds like he got scammed.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Next proposed banned item for Britards...

The Samurai Sword. :brave:

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/ca...60116sam.shtml

"Although they are supposed to be for ceremonial use the sword we purchased was lethal. There is no excuse for this sort of thing to be sold to anyone but licensed organisations and we will be pursuing our campaign with vigour."

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are the victims of a tiny neo-marxist media elite who want everything to be illegal so that it's impossible to live without breaking at least one rule, and they always have an excuse to imprison their enemies. I've seen it in the stars.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:06am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The British media are a touch alarmist, we're adopting the "If it bleeds, it leads" attitude from across the swamp.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:14am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only analogy to this campaign against "violence" I can think of is the American war on drugs.

How illegal can you possibly make something?

**** it. Get serious. We should start executing people for cannabis/kitchen knife possession.

Or is THAT going too far? I suppose the alternative (of fucking with hundreds of millions of people a little bit) is better than fucking with the few with extreme prejudice.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next they'll make foreheads illegal to prevent the football hooligan head but

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its Clackers all over again.

(British reference, not to sure if the awesomeness of clackers made it anywhere else)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast