Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 4:22am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Vile:
    Even guys like Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts came from Kyokushin derived schools that mixed in training for the gloved fighting

source? not that i am trying to prove you wrong since I am not certain but im pretty sure Hoost started out in Savate and Aerts has always done muay thai of the dutch flavour.

Slightly off topic, but has Hoost fought outside of k1? I only saw a few k1 fights.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    Are there a lot of people in the world who have done this? There is one instructor in my hometown who is supposed to have done this (I think the guys name is Howard Collins).
    Yep, he did it. He was the first to do it all in one day.

http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/100mankumite.htm#Fifty

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 10:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saget
    For the longest time, the only karate style I could stomache was Hawaiin Kempo, but I did a search, and came across the Wikiepedia page for it, and it seems pretty interesting. The founder seems like a certified psycho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin

I never even heard of it before today
    It's good that you were checking it out though. And yeah, Mas Oyama was a badass :ninjafigh He's the only person to do a 300 man kumite (100 people per day), and was trying to go for 400 but didn't have enough students that were 100% by then.

http://republika.pl/ron_lc/images/Oyamafighting.wmv

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hoost, Aerts etc trained in Mejiro Gym or one of its decendents in Holland. Mejiro Gym is a direct child of Kenji Kurosaki's (Kyokushin co-founder) Japanese kickboxing gyms.

After fighting (and losing by TKO due to a cut over the eye) in Thailand under Thai rules Kurosaki was basically thrown out of Kyokushin by Oyama for "shaming" the style. Oyama at his finest retardation level on that one. Kurasaki and Fujihira (one of teh other Kyokushin fighters who fought in Thailand) both switched to kickboxing competition. Kurosaki as coach and Fujihira as a fighter. Generally Kurosaki is known as the founder and father of Japanese kickboxing and influenced a lot of other Kyokushin clubs around the world, notably in Holland to go the same way.

Thats what I meant by Kyokushin derived dojo - not stating they do kata or anything, but the original instructors were Kyokushin fighters who switched to MT style training .
    Sociopaths are people too.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 3:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin, bjj blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    Are there a lot of people in the world who have done this? There is one instructor in my hometown who is supposed to have done this (I think the guys name is Howard Collins).
    You can find more information here:
    http://www.gkksweden.com/
    http://www.shihancollins.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Didn't Matsui make leg kicks a lot more popular in Kyokushin after he started proving how effective they were? I think he was the pioneer for them, if not then somebody before him I guess.
    According to my information kyokushin started training with lowkicks much earlier. At least at the start of the 70ies.

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rebici
    According to my information kyokushin started training with lowkicks much earlier. At least at the start of the 70ies.
    They weren't too popular though until someone showed how good they were, then they switched things up as I remember hearing it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice clip of Oyama, thanks for posting it. Someone should have told him that the head isn't a target in Kyokushin (lol). I liked that inner hammer fist to the gut, what a shot.

This HAS been posted several times: No head in tournies, head ok in dojo. More of less; in Utah we went to the head and after several years Sensei got head gear and gloves. We'd spar often just to the body, too. In Hawaii they tended to beat the **** out of each other's legs and throw a lot - at least I got thrown a lot!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456