222359 Bullies, 5027 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Saget
    that's great. I hope you're not being trained to not strike the face all the time.
    My sempai has us do head punching the majority of the time unless someone's getting ready for a test so then they can get it out of their system beforehand and not accidentally clock someone in the chops during the kumite portion of their test. While we do have to wear Everlast headgear (everybody besides me has a desk job and/or a very public job where black eyes, busted snouts, and fat lips tend to be looked down on), the actual gloves we wear are those $5 cotton-type ones. Gives us just enough protection.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will continue since you seem to understand that generally punching to someone's head will eventually cause an injury and even your bones breaking.

Firstly, what do the words full-contact mean to you when you here it? In Kyokushin Full-contact means bare-knuckle fighting. Full-contact or full touch or full impact with no obstruction. Meaning no pads on the chests to deflate strikes. And no gloves to lessen the blow of impact of the punches.

Thatís the philosophy of Kyokushin and many other styles of fighting. Just to let you know I have on occasion spared with other people in my school and allowing each other to punch to the head. Iíll be honest that it was more for fun than trying to make a learning experience.

But reading your post I get the feeling you seem to think that Kyokushin has some form of Bullshido in it. I canít and will try to change your viewpoint on it.You just have to accept the style for what it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 12:23am

Style: Sub Wrestling, MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it's not full-contact, because you're not allowed to punch to the face and head.

I'll withhold my opinion on the art itself for now, because I don't know enough bout it.
    Last edited by Bob Saget; 1/23/2006 12:25am at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it's not full-contact, because you're not allowed to punch to the face and head.

make sense?
    that's not the definition of full contact. Full contact is a level of contact, not a rule set.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 12:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been schooled in the karate

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 3:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'll withhold my opinion on the art itself for now, because I don't know enough bout it.
    That's cool. We can use that definition.
    Sport BJJ is not full contact either as there is no face punching allowed there either. We can also then infer that Muay Thai and boxing are not full contact sports as they wear gloves.

Think about what your saying dude.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 4:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know, I've been dwelling on it for a while, and I agree with you guys.

I will say that I don't like the whole no-face punching rule, as I believe it can form dangerous habits, but I understand the reason.

For the longest time, the only karate style I could stomache was Hawaiin Kempo, but I did a search, and came across the Wikiepedia page for it, and it seems pretty interesting. The founder seems like a certified psycho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin

I never even heard of it before today

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/23/2006 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there a lot of people in the world who have done this? There is one instructor in my hometown who is supposed to have done this (I think the guys name is Howard Collins).

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 3:06am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are only 14 people EVER who have passed the 100 man kumite. Howard Collins was one of them. A lot of people have tried and failed.

Bob Saget - cheers for being open minded on it. The style can engender a lack of ehad defence if people train only for tournament fighting. Many people who do it also train with head shots, but the difference in contact levels that gloves make ruin a lot fo the feeling you get.
    There is a reason that bare-knuckle boxers consistently defeated MoQ rules guys, despite working the body in preference to the head, and thats due to the positive change in damage from concussive head shots, and the negative change in damage over penetrative body shots when wearing gloves, The added hand protection is a big deal too.
    The main weaknesses of Kyokushin are in grappling/groundwork. They have and do compete regularly in MT/KB events, and a splinter group (Seidokan) of them started K-1. Even guys like Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts came from Kyokushin derived schools that mixed in training for the gloved fighting.

Is Kyokushin the ultimate striking art? No, but its up on the same level as MT and Boxing in competition for the title. Most people who think it is soft just need to enter a tournament or come to a sparring class - trust me those fighters are hitting hard. LAst tournament I did (under knockdown rules) first fight was won by a KO, second was by decision after 3 rounds. My opponent had several broken ribs from my punches.

Kyokushin adopted a lot of MT style techniques in the 1950s after its founder fought in Thailand, inluding knees, elbows, leg kicks and using the shin as a striking surface. We do block with our shins BTW. We also sent fighters back to Thailand to fight under Thai rules in the 1960s and 1970s.

The system has its problems, but so does all training that is tried to make "safe" for the competitors through padding or rules. I've trained and sparred under MT rules, and don't (personally) find it more realistic than KK rules. Just different.

The irnoy of people not ahving heard of it is that (until Oyama's death) it was the biggest style of karate in teh world under one person. Something like 14 million practitioners.
    Sociopaths are people too.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 4:17am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vile
    Even guys like Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts came from Kyokushin derived schools that mixed in training for the gloved fighting
    source? not that i am trying to prove you wrong since I am not certain but im pretty sure Hoost started out in Savate and Aerts has always done muay thai of the dutch flavour.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast