Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 5:43pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    You don't like to live do you ? You don't even know the rules...

dude talk to your instructor, tell him you want to do it and listen to what he says, if you have what it takes he will suport you and answer all your questions, if not keep training and in some years you will be ready.

aggh this is starting to frustrate me...

i do know the rules of muay thai! i just wasnt sure if it was the same for a 16 year old, didnt know if there was a junior comp or whatever.

And of course im not going to be a 'serious fighter' yet, the next 2 years in school can be the difference between doing a job i love and getting paid well for it and doing a job i hate and earning ****-all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 5:46pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carbon...

I understand what you're saying, but Randy Couture is in a different situation that my peers. Randy has already established himself as a fighter. He is practically a household name amongst MMA fans and promoters. He not only knows ahead of time who he is going to fight, but has seen them fight in person, and has video footage to break down of them ahead of time, etc, etc.

We don't have that luxury. We usually go to our fight events only knowing our opponents name, weight, gym, and "supposed" fight record (often a lie). It is very common to arrive at the event only to find your fight/opponent was changed at the last minute. And because we're not well-known fighters that create a crowd draw on our own, the promoter holds all the cards. If we choose not to fight, its our prerogative. But it also becomes the promoters prerogative whether or not he'll give you future matches.

I'm not saying that you're wrong to think the way you do. I'm just saying that there's a lot more that goes into these decisions than a meat-headed, "ME WANT FIGHT!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2006 5:50pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And for the record, I don't believe I've misused the term "serious". I'm talking about us fighters who aren't just doing this because its something interesting to do, or its simply want to step into the ring to "test ourselves". I'm talking about those of us who are looking at fighting over the long-term.

I realize that what I just said is contradictory. If you want to approach fighting from the standpoint of a long-term thing, you do have to be smart about it. EVen so, you have to be ready to make sacrifices and compete under less-than-ideal circumstances. If I always took fights under favorable circumstances, I would have 2 more Championship Title Belts collecting dust under my bed....

software engineer

Posted On:
    1/24/2006 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jez, do you often ask your teachers how various TKD techs would fare in a MT match? I think if you had, you'd be more clear on whether you should be trying such things in a MT fight.

(says a guy who got _hook kicked_ in the head by a karate bb in a kickboxing sparring match)
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456