Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Opening Gambit

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Soviet Canuckistan
    Posts
    353
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Opening Gambit

    I was hoping we could have a discussion about opening gambits and initial strategy for rolling. As in many other schools, we tend to start from our knees for the majority of the the time. What do you tend to try to do with a clean slate to start from...what are you thinking, what are you waiting for your opponent to do, what grips do you prefer and why. Do you like to initiate a sweep or get into a guard of some kind.

    I'm just looking to put some thoughts and ideas together around the inital start of the game.

    Looking forward to your feedback.
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    ~F. Scott Fitzgerald

    Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, smashing things up is sometimes very pleasant.
    ~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

  2. #2
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bwerb
    I was hoping we could have a discussion about opening gambits and initial strategy for rolling. As in many other schools, we tend to start from our knees for the majority of the the time. What do you tend to try to do with a clean slate to start from...what are you thinking, what are you waiting for your opponent to do, what grips do you prefer and why. Do you like to initiate a sweep or get into a guard of some kind.

    I'm just looking to put some thoughts and ideas together around the inital start of the game.

    Looking forward to your feedback.
    Your initial strategy for rolling in class should be related to what you want to work on. Currently, I am working on strengthening my game from my back, so I usually pull guard or half guard.

    Occasionally I will start to pull guard then switch to a sweep.

    I use generic arm/lapel grips when going with the gi. If going no-gi, I'll take a few different grips. Grabbing behind the triceps and the head works for going into guard.

    I'm not sure this discussion is going to go anywhere . . .

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    MA, U.S.
    Posts
    747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I push forward, moving left and right to get different angles, and keep constant pressure on knees. Usually my opponents will just pull guard after a minute or so.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do whatever. You're just on your knees. I'll pull guard, tie up, give side control or turtle depending on what I feel like working.

    A personal favorite is to tie up, get an under and overhook, cut to one side for the crucifix and reverse omoplata.

  5. #5
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go for the comedy option by grabbing their collar behind the head and throwing their face to the ground while doing a safe standup, then jump on their back.

  6. #6
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,038
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Go for the comedy option by grabbing their collar behind the head and throwing their face to the ground while doing a safe standup, then jump on their back.
    Doing a cartwheel to the back from here is funnier.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    ADL, AU
    Posts
    2,812
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Go for the comedy option by grabbing their collar behind the head and throwing their face to the ground while doing a safe standup, then jump on their back.
    Seriously though that's an arseholish thing to do. I was at a seminar once and the guy I was with tapped hands, jumped to his feet, spiked my head into the mat and strutted off.

    Not a polite thing to do, not to mention it defeats the purpose of going to roll.

  8. #8
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddy
    Seriously though that's an arseholish thing to do. I was at a seminar once and the guy I was with tapped hands, jumped to his feet, spiked my head into the mat and strutted off.

    Not a polite thing to do, not to mention it defeats the purpose of going to roll.
    You need a better front breakfall.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    265
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the valuable info regard starting from the knee's has already been mentioned. We have to start this way due to space restrictions. One thing I like to do when I'm feeling somewhat crazy or goofing around is front roll with your legs wide into your opponent to get your guard. Not the nicest move to pull if they catch a heel.

  10. #10
    UpaLumpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Descending into absurdity
    Posts
    6,977
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Go for the comedy option by grabbing their collar behind the head and throwing their face to the ground while doing a safe standup, then jump on their back.
    Haha.
    I do that with an armdrag.

    Another comedy option is the flying armbar from knees attempt. Miss it and you've basically just pulled guard anyway.
    Plus there's not that annoying crash to the ground.
    And another: Flying triangle attempt -> triangle mount.
    zero to teabag in 0.1sec
    Last edited by UpaLumpa; 1/17/2006 12:50pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO