Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its good that your getting back into Bjj.

But if your going to try Matt Furey's fitneess material like Combat Conditioning, just start with one session in the day. Set aside 30 minutes a day or maybe less depending on how much you can handle and take it from there.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 9:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should post the routine and exercises youŽll be performing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 9:58am

Style: None at Present

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll post what i'll try on monday, however I will also post what I do... for instance, I may not be able to manage X amount of Hindu squats, and may only achieve Y amount...

And I don't really think i'm 'fat' per se, just that in proportion to my frame, it seems like I have quite a bit of gut, and flab... for instance my legs/thighs used to be very strong from Hung Gar, and kicking (believe it or not) but now are quite fat... although it's the stomach i'm trying to concentrate on...

I'll post pictures on monday, and you guys can judge for yourself...

and Thanks Hannibal, i'll be trying about 15 when I get up (a good time to excerise regardless) and then maybe 15 before sleep...

For those interested, the excersises will primarily be coming from the book and DVD set called Combat Abs... with a few thrown in from Combat Conditioning, such as the 'royal court'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:08am

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xeo, I'm concerned that your self-image isn't
    reflecting these figures. Are you 'tall for Singapore'?
    Are you Thin but Flabby?

68 kilo (about 10 and a half stones)
    for 5'10" sounds healthily slim,
    and NOBODY would suggest it is fat.
    Have a care not to get too thin,
    in fact if you train and eat for wrestling
    you might get lighter at first, but if
    you want to stay healthy and combative
    you will likely get heavier as your
    weak and feeble muscles develop.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like you are already introducing way too many extraneous variables into your experiment. Starting another training program or physical activity (BJJ) will only muddy the waters. From a scientific standpoint, it would be better to not do the BJJ.

Also, doing exercise in excess of his claimed minimal time would also muddy the waters. If Matt says you only need 5 minutes per day, then I think you should only do 5 minutes per day. Otherwise, you won't know if your improvements were because of Matt's program or because you just worked out for long periods each day. Theoretically, Matt's program could be less efficient than a regular program, but because you do it for so long, it could produce more results.

Either way, I do hope you stick with whatever program you decide upon, and that you get great results.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks alot for the replies and support... just thought i'd address the last two posts...

I am tall for Singapore, but I find that Singaporeans tend to be a little on the short side, I would suppose i'm of average height then... Actual figures are above...

About the BJJ muddying the waters, so to speak, it was a concern that this would interfere with the results, however when I last did BJJ it did not seem to affect my figure to any noticeable results... we don't do excerise drills, situps, etc... but I understand the validity of the comment.
    I think that i'll be doing BJJ only once or twice a week, not normally enough to make any HUGE chances, at least at this school. Matt Furey claims that this excerise works very well, and will make HUGE changes, so we'll have to see.

In the end, I suppose the final results will have to be taken with a grain of salt, but should still be a reliable experiement as far as I can see...

As for the time, i'll go and check, but as he said a minimum of 5 mins in some ads, I think i'll put the excersise time at 10 Mins, as see what happens...

Thanks again for the support

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to add, at my high school they have an option to drop Physical Education (P.E) classes in favour of extra study time now that exams are drawing closer, which I shall be doing, ridding myself of another potential variable that could factor into things...

I think i'll upload some prelim.photos of myself now, if I can, just so you guys can see what i'm on about...

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Royal Court is a great workout and trust me.....it'll put you to the test.

The Hindu squats,hindu pushups and back bridging are a great combination. I would suggest just doing them once per day to start off with.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, thanks for the advice...

This is me, a while back, I do look quite a bit different now, if only due to the hair. The Pilot there is quite small, but I think you'll able to judge by size of the Cessna.

That's just to get a generally idea of my build, but for photos I generally hold in my stomach moreso than normal, so as for 'fatness' you guys might not be able to judge much...

EDIT: Photo in my gallery, however it's huge so i'll leave it there... I wouldn't expand it to it's maximum size though...

It's a bad pic, but it'll do for now I suppose
    Last edited by Xeo; 1/14/2006 10:58am at .

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeo
    About the BJJ muddying the waters, so to speak, it was a concern that this would interfere with the results, however when I last did BJJ it did not seem to affect my figure to any noticeable results... we don't do excerise drills, situps, etc... but I understand the validity of the comment.
    I think that i'll be doing BJJ only once or twice a week, not normally enough to make any HUGE chances, at least at this school. Matt Furey claims that this excerise works very well, and will make HUGE changes, so we'll have to see.

In the end, I suppose the final results will have to be taken with a grain of salt, but should still be a reliable experiement as far as I can see...
    Not really, not from a scientific point of view.

Better:
    A. No BJJ during the experiment.
    B. BJJ for 2-3 to establish a baseline, then add Furey.

I'd advise B. Keep a regular log (supporting member?) - weekly body weight and waist measurement for the 2-3 months BJJ baseline training. Add Furey, continue with log.

Get some calipers for body fat measurement - measure a pinch just above the navel and just above the iliace crest (the bony curve at the side of the hip). Do this once a week.

Plot the results.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast